mattio41

Best AR out of the Box...

this would be my first entry into the AR world. I am looking to pick up a pair. one for me, and one for my wife. I am not ready to get into all sorts of customizations just yet. But more so, something that we can start off with, and then see where it goes from there. I know there is a tone of information on this board, and I have been filtering through it. But looking for some good solid suggestions to help refine my search.

And i guess the other question becomes, do you go .223 or .308 ???

Thoughts, Suggestions??

5.56/223 makes for much less expensive shooting (around 1/2 the cost), which means you get to practice more for the same money.

If the gun is just for fun, then the brand doesn't really matter. If it is for defending yourself, my personal opinion is that you want a better brand.

My advice is to go to www.m4carbine.net. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks there and it doesn't have the noise, clutter, and jerkoffs that www.ar15.com is notorious for. For me personally, I think there is a lot of good info on ar15.com, you just have to work hard to get to it and know ahead of time what is BS. For someone starting out, m4carbine.net has much less nonsense to wade through. Beware, you may end up thinking you need a Colt or Daniel Defense rifle, which is not a bad thing if you are like me and re-sale value is important to you.

5.56/223 makes for much less expensive shooting (around 1/2 the cost), which means you get to practice more for the same money.

If the gun is just for fun, then the brand doesn't really matter. If it is for defending yourself, my personal opinion is that you want a better brand.

My advice is to go to www.m4carbine.net. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks there and it doesn't have the noise, clutter, and jerkoffs that www.ar15.com is notorious for. For me personally, I think there is a lot of good info on ar15.com, you just have to work hard to get to it and know ahead of time what is BS. For someone starting out, m4carbine.net has much less nonsense to wade through. Beware, you may end up thinking you need a Colt or Daniel Defense rifle, which is not a bad thing if you are like me and re-sale value is important to you.

+1

Also, what's your price point? That's important.

Add Your locally obtained stripped lower and your GTG. Assembling your lower is easy All for 750-775.

MADE IN USA ALL PARTS BY CMT/STAG NEW BRITAIN CT.

CMT has been in the Biz of making all the parts for AR15s for over 30 years Its TOP QUALITY!!

AWB COMPLY KITS ALSO AVAIL SAME PRICE <-------------------------------NOTE!

WE ARE STAG'S LARGEST DEALER

FOR SALE

BEST DEAL** BEST PRICE

YES ON CA SHIPPING

$614 SHIP INCLUDED

YOU GET A STAG 2H M-4 16" UPPER Chrome Lined 1/9 twist

with FLIP REAR SIGHT and a side sling adapter all 100% Stag Parts

YES COMPLETE WITH BOLT GROUP AND CHARGE HANDLE

and a STAG 6 POS TAC STOCK KIT and a STAG LOWER PARTS KIT

ADD YOUR STRIPPED LOWER AND YOU HAVE A COMPLETE RIFLE

ORDER ON LINE AT

www.ar15sales.com

CLICK ON STAG ICON

Pete in NH FFL/SOT Dealer

Legal Transfers LLC

603-770-2281

We are Oldest paid dealer on ar15.com board

Our feedback goes back over 10 years

thats like asking whats the best car... It depends what you are looking to use it for. Like previously mentioned what is the price point; but also what is your philosohy of use?

Philosophy of use:

1) To Have Fun - Plinking and target Practice

2) in SHTF scenario, have longer range and greater firepower then what my .22 rifles offer

3) in SHTF scenario, ease of getting or scavenging replacement parts and ammunition

I have plenty of pistols, and a good shotgun for defense in the house if ever needed. and I have a couple of 22 rifles that would offer some range, but not the firepower to keep someone/thing/or whatever at a far enough distance.

I realised that after I asked the price point question that it has become a muddy water, slippery slope question. I would not hesitate for one second to go buy a couple BCM's, Danial Defences, Colt 6920's or insert quality AR here. The panic buying has begun. Im watching prices rise by the day and rifles I have been watching on other forums for months are ALL gone in a day.Other wise I think you will potentially have a long wait until the hysteria stops and inventory recovers.

Iron sights or adding optics? Room to expand?

Personally I go with chrome barrel, bolt, etc. More resistant to corrosion. Get 5.56mm instead of something chambered in .223 as you can shoot .223 out of a 5.56mm but NOT vice versa.

start with something close to what you want. If you think you might want a rail get one that comes with it. It's a lot cheaper than trying to change everything later.

Iron sights or adding optics? Room to expand?

Personally I go with chrome barrel, bolt, etc. More resistant to corrosion. Get 5.56mm instead of something chambered in .223 as you can shoot .223 out of a 5.56mm but NOT vice versa.

start with something close to what you want. If you think you might want a rail get one that comes with it. It's a lot cheaper than trying to change everything later.

Definitely Iron Sights, Call me old fashioned, but you need to learn with those, before you go to the fancy stuff. But yes, room to upgrade later is oh high consideration.

thanks for the advice about the caliber. did not know that. kind of like buying a 357 vs a 38. you can shoot 38's out of a 357, but you cant shoot 357's out of a 38. So i understand that completely.

hmmmm, a rail... maybe something to be considered..

Well you did say the"best AR" you didn't say a budget AR... :)

DD XVM. $1,209

http://www.rainierar...product_id=2680

he gave you a budget..

$850 - 1000 each, considering I am looking to buy 2 ??

build your own guns.... it will teach you the gun in and out... if there ever should be a "SHTF" scenario and you have a failure of some sort.. you better damn well know how to work on your own weapon system.... and you don't learn by buying off the shelf..

build your own guns.... it will teach you the gun in and out... if there ever should be a "SHTF" scenario and you have a failure of some sort.. you better damn well know how to work on your own weapon system.... and you don't learn by buying off the shelf..

x2, plus with building your own you can get what parts you want on the rifle, instead of buying a stock rifle and spending more money on replacing parts (handguards, stocks, grips, etc).

Windham Weaponry, the former makers of Bushmaster. When Bushmaster was sold to The Freedom Group (who also owns Remington), they moved production from Windham ME to Ilion NY. They let everyone go, and closed the plant. Five years later when his no competition clause ended, the former owner of Bushmaster came out of retirement and reopened the old plant. He re-hired any of his former employees who still wanted their Jobs back. Real nice story about an American company that did the right thing by their employees, and who in my opinion outshines most of the other companies building AR's out there. Excellent fit and finish, just like the old Bushmasters...which in my opinion are nicer. One other thing about Windham Weaponry is that they have a lifetime transferable warranty which beats Stag's warranty. Excellent customer service also.

Colt's Match Target series of rifles will also fit the bill. They are NJ compliant right out of the box.

The MT6400 is a ban compliant version of the 6920, and the MT6400R is a compliant 6940. Both are excellent choices.

Windham Weaponry, the former makers of Bushmaster. When Bushmaster was sold to The Freedom Group (who also owns Remington), they moved production from Windham ME to Ilion NY. They let everyone go, and closed the plant. Five years later when his no competition clause ended, the former owner of Bushmaster came out of retirement and reopened the old plant. He re-hired any of his former employees who still wanted their Jobs back. Real nice story about an American company that did the right thing by their employees, and who in my opinion outshines most of the other companies building AR's out there. Excellent fit and finish, just like the old Bushmasters...which in my opinion are nicer. One other thing about Windham Weaponry is that they have a lifetime transferable warranty which beats Stag's warranty. Excellent customer service also.

+1 on Windham. The few I have handled were well built.

looking at Windham Weaponry website, they offer a complete rifle for $1111.00

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/pdf/UpdatedTechSheets/MPC-NYMSRPPRICING.pdf

In regards to building my own, I agree, I think that is the best way to learn all the inner workings, so that if you have to make a repair somewhere along the line in the field, you know what you are doing. But I think that is a project I am going to take up, after my first, and becoming familiar with the actual weapon system.

Somebody, refresh my memory, legal magazines for New jersey is 15 round capacity, Correct?? And if so, is there any particular companies that are producing them as a stock item?

Somebody, refresh my memory, legal magazines for New jersey is 15 round capacity, Correct?? And if so, is there any particular companies that are producing them as a stock item?

Yes 15 Rounds...

I like the Pmags.. MidwestPx has 15/20 and 15/30 round blocked pmags.

Yes 15 Rounds...

I like the Pmags.. MidwestPx has 15/20 and 15/30 round blocked pmags.

Yep, you can either get them direct from me or any of the following dealers (bold indicates a NJGF sponsor):

Bob's Little Sport Shop in Glassboro

Bullethole in Belleville

Bullseye Tactical Supply in Woodbridge

Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters in Robbinsville

East Brunswick Sportsman in East Brunswick

Efinger's in Bound Brook

Hackettstown Guns & Ammo in Hackettstown

Legend Firearms in Marlboro

Luciano's Sport Shop in Lodi

Mastodon Ammo & Camo in Highland Lakes

Monmouth Arms in Morganville

Rayco Armory in Merchantville