NJDrew1

Former LEO Gets 5 Years for Weapons and Magazines

I can only imagine he had 30-round un-pinned magazines. He plead guilty earlier this year to illegally possessing 21 large-capacity magazines for semi-automatic rifles, as well as these illegal assault weapons: a Calico .22-caliber long rifle semi-automatic carbine, a 7.62x39mm Norinco semi-automatic rifle, a .223-caliber Colt semi-automatic rifle, and a .30-caliber National Ordnance semi-automatic carbine.

http://www.trentonian.com/article/20121118/NEWS03/121119567/ex-nj-police-officer-sentenced-in-weapons-case

Hinkel was arrested in January 2009, when state police went to his home to question him in an unrelated investigation and found numerous firearms in plain view. They later executed a search warrant at the four-acre site and discovered hundreds of guns.

Is this article implying firearms in plain view is probable cause for a search warrant? N/m he's a doomsday prepper.

The news article says he tried to grab a HG when he asked the NJSP if he can get his jacket, they had to struggle with him to get it out of his possession and charged him with aggravated assault, and he also had a live grenade the detonated on the site. Those are the two serious things that I see here, in addition if he is convicted for the burglary charges they got the warrant for.

The rest of the stuff is legal in 98% of the rest of the country. ("assault" rifles, magazines +15rnds). Ammo isn't even an issue as 1 round or 500K rounds , is no difference.

With all the NJ magazine and AWB charges, 5 years is pretty light.

A lot of readers and commenters here seem to be getting hung up on the guns and ammo things. He was arrested on burglary charges and while serving that arrest warrant he "grabbed a handgun". Come on now people who in their right mind would do that while the police were there to put you in cuffs? This is not a case of hey look you have guns lets arrest you and take them.

Yup, totally agree with RonW. Had this guy not been involved in other activity he wouldn't have brought the spotlight upon himself, and unfortunately every other pro gun advocating citizen. I have to say, a half million rounds is a bit excessive for a private individual IMO, but hey to each their own I suppose. D*mn, I wonder what he spent just for the ammo. :unsure:

Yup, totally agree with RonW. Had this guy not been involved in other activity he wouldn't have brought the spotlight upon himself, and unfortunately every other pro gun advocating citizen. I have to say, a half million rounds is a bit excessive for a private individual IMO, but hey to each their own I suppose. D*mn, I wonder what he spent just for the ammo. :unsure:

500k+ rounds. maybe he was selling them since social security checks are so small.

hey it's amazing how many rounds people can squrriel away over a decade.

maybe they issued boxes of ammo for practice & he never practiced....

+ 260 firearms and a live grenade? I'm not saying it's impossible to do, just highly unlikely its all legit. I don't know what kinda money he was rolling in on that pension, or if he had an inheritance of some sort... just really fishy is all.

A lot of readers and commenters here seem to be getting hung up on the guns and ammo things. He was arrested on burglary charges and while serving that arrest warrant he "grabbed a handgun". Come on now people who in their right mind would do that while the police were there to put you in cuffs? This is not a case of hey look you have guns lets arrest you and take them.

100% this

+ 260 firearms and a live grenade? I'm not saying it's impossible to do, just highly unlikely its all legit. I don't know what kinda money he was rolling in on that pension, or if he had an inheritance of some sort... just really fishy is all.

Okay, so what's the limit? You hit 100 guns & you are automatically a criminal?

Some folks just love to hoard stuff....

If the guy was that old, than what are the odds he's been buying guns since he was a kid, before they logged your purchases. I can say that I know of people that have been buying a box of ammo every/every other week, for the last 30yrs, and who have inherited SAFES full of guns. It's not hard to have the inventory he had, its just uncommon for anyone to willingly divulge it in fear of robbery. Plus its mostly frowned upon in this state. 260 guns is less than I've seen and heard from some of the people I know. Anywhere else and this is just a "collection".

As for pulling the gun out, well he's a dumbass for that.

+ 260 firearms and a live grenade?

As for that grenade, there are probably some flowing around from WWII, Korean war, or Vietnam...

Can the military really keep track if the inventory is really used or not?

You gotta be crazy to keep something like that around... oh well.

Hinkel was arrested in January 2009, when state police went to his home to question him in an unrelated investigation and found numerous firearms in plain view.

RIF

Okay, so what's the limit? You hit 100 guns & you are automatically a criminal?

Some folks just love to hoard stuff....

My comments in no way shape our form called him a criminal based on how much guns and ammo he owned... i simply brought up the point that the guy has been living on a disability pension since the mid 80's... and somehow found a way to buy all this stuff.

the guy has been living on a disability pension since the mid 80's... and somehow found a way to buy all this stuff.

probably a basement bargain shopper who spent countless years at gun shows looking for used stuff...

there's probably a ton of used firearms out there since you can't take it with you.

probably a basement bargain shopper who spent countless years at gun shows looking for used stuff...

there's probably a ton of used firearms out there since you can't take it with you.

Sounds like it would have been neat to shop at his house for firearms, ammo and supplies.

Correct!

Just out of curiosity (for the few hung up on them taking his guns) what would you have wanted the police to do in this case? Ex LEO wanted for possible robbery and they find him going for a gun and then he has a small army's worth. Would you rather they left his guns in his possession even though he has shown a possible unstable nature and willingness to be violent?

Just out of curiosity (for the few hung up on them taking his guns) what would you have wanted the police to do in this case? Ex LEO wanted for possible robbery and they find him going for a gun and then he has a small army's worth. Would you rather they left his guns in his possession even though he has shown a possible unstable nature and willingness to be violent?

Hinkle asked the trooper if he could go inside and get a jacket, but allegedly grabbed a handgun instead. There was a brief struggle over the weapon, but Hinkle was arrested and charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, said police.

Hinkle posted $10,000 bail and was released from the Salem County Correctional Facility. It's unclear if he is still a suspect in the Upper Pittsgrove Township burglary.

When did he show a willingness to be violent? Being an ex-cop maybe he has a permit to carry, cops showed up and asked him to come down to the station to answer some questions. He goes inside grabs his jacket, wallet, house keys, and his everyday carry piece. Cop sees him and a scuffle ensues. And boom assaulting a police officer. He wasn't arrested or charged with burglary,

If he was a threat to public safety or himself, he should be jailed or committed not released on $10K bail. If he is free to walk around town, there is no reason he shouldn't have his firearms back.

You can draw any kind of conclusion you want from an article written without much detail.

So do you think that if ANY gun owner in NJ would not have their firearms taken from them just for being arrested on burglary charges? Not to mention NJ.com has a nasty track record of leaving large portions of thugs like this out.

So do you think that if ANY gun owner in NJ would not have their firearms taken from them just for being arrested on burglary charges? Not to mention NJ.com has a nasty track record of leaving large portions of thugs like this out.

It is really hard to understand what you are trying to say. First of all he wasn't arrested on burglary charges. The article tells us he was arrested and charged with aggravated assault on a police officer.

NJ.com has a nasty track record of not being very friendly to the Second Amendment.

Sorry I am on the tail end of a long shift. And if you read all of the articles and information he was being served with an arrest warrant for burglary charges when he "assaulted" the officer. And my last post I was trying to say that if any of us were being arrested on burglary charges and did what this man did I would think we'd have our guns taken too.