cisurfer999

Free float handguards with NJ compliant bushmaster?

I have the bushmaster xm15-e2s m4a3 style rifle. It is nj compliant so the muzzle break is welded on (doesn't look like it has and weld). My current handguards that came with the rifle wiggle along

With the delta ring. I want to use a free float style so it is completely solid but in order to install it I know the front sight would need to come off which would also force the muzzle break to be removed. How can I go about changing my hand guards to something solid with no movement. Is it possible my muzzle break isn't welded or pinned? I don't want to take a wrench to it and mess up the finish if it is welded

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=422

theres a installation video on the top of the page in a small link. i believe TROY makes quad rails that attach to the stock barrel nut (might not be proper term)

If you wanted to DIY, you could go w. a two-piece free floating rail like this: http://www.midwestin...category_id=422 Here's one from Bravo Company: http://www.bravocomp...n%200609-cc.htm

Mind you, I have NEVER laid hands on either one so I can not attest to how solid they lock up.

ETA: Dr. Jimmy beat me to the punch! But to add, if you want a one piece rail, you are better off sending it to a 'smith to take off your comp.

Shave down the FSB, cut the delta ring etc off, and use one of the rails that attach to the stock barrel nut, no removal of the comp needed.

Troy alpha & bravo, Rainier arms evo, Samson evo, all use the stock barrel nut. (I know theres a few more too)

There is no need to touch the front sight if you install carbine length handguards.

True, I didnt think about that, but yea a set of 2 piece carbine rails like the MI or DD ones will work without cutting anything.

I was thinking that he wanted a longer rail on it which is why I was talking about choping the fsb.

There is no need to touch the front sight if you install carbine length handguards.

True, but only if he goes with a 2 piece. He could cut it off completely, get a 2 piece Gas block, and everything should slip on the barrel over the brake, which opens up a much wider variety of hand guards. You muzzle brake shouldn't have an OD bigger then the barrel nuts ID.

Is it possible to remove the break off the barrel and then reinstall it after I replace the handguards?

You would have to find out how the brake is perm. attached and see if you can remove it with out destroying it. most people end up destroying it. If its pinned you could try drilling it out, but then u have to worry about ruining the barrel.

How much work/money do you plan on dedicating to this?

I have the bushmaster xm15-e2s m4a3 style rifle. It is nj compliant so the muzzle break is welded on (doesn't look like it has and weld). My current handguards that came with the rifle wiggle along

With the delta ring. I want to use a free float style so it is completely solid but in order to install it I know the front sight would need to come off which would also force the muzzle break to be removed. How can I go about changing my hand guards to something solid with no movement. Is it possible my muzzle break isn't welded or pinned? I don't want to take a wrench to it and mess up the finish if it is welded

If you do not want to remove your front sight (FSB) or your muzzle brake/comp. you can use a two piece free float rail system that uses the factory barrel nut as stated.

Not sure of your budget but Centurion Arms makes a top of the line two piece rail system that is avalible in several different lengths for your carbine length gas system.

http://www.centurionarms.net/

Instructions are in the top left corner of the page. Very easy to install and as I said top quality.

There are other manufacturers that make them as noted, just depends on your budget and application.

I removed the oem hand guard on my Bushmaster and swapped it with a Knights Armament rail system someone brought back from Iraq...didn't have to cut anything.

Think this is it here http://www.knightarmco.com/portfolio/m4-carbine-ras/?cate_cm=military&term=rails&features=m4-carbine-ras