matthewvictor

relocating to NJ

I am probably relocating to NJ (yeah, I know- bad idea, but out of my hands- which, from what I gather, my guns will be, too).

I know there is tons of info online re NJ gun laws, but that's the problem- there's tons. I only need basic info and I wonder if a kind soul out there might help me out.

I currently and a registered CCW user in FL. I carry a 9mm. At home I keep 3 rifles: 1: .22, 2: a pump-action shotgun that holds 5 + 1 and 3: I have an AR-15.

Very basically, here are my questions:

1) are any of my guns illegal in NJ?

2) Do I need to register any/all of them?

3) If I don't want to buy any more guns or ammo (bringing plenty) Do I need to register myself?

4) If I don't register myself/my guns, can I still shoot at ranges?

5) are any magazine sizes outlawed, and if so, is simply owning that magazine illegal?

Thank you for your help!

Matt

1) Your 9mm is most likely legal as long as its magazine is no more than 15 round capacity. AR-15 would need to have no bayonet lug and have either no muzzle device, or a brake permenently attached. No flash hiders. So if its not legal now you can alter it to be legal.

2) None at all

3) No

4) Yes you can legally, unless its a private range that requires FID for membership (some do)

5) Anything more than 15 rounds, and yes, a 16 round magazine or more will land you in jail. This is unless its a fixed magazine on a non-semi automatic

No more CCW for you

1. You didn't specify what 9mm or .22. You have a tec9? marlin semi .22 w/ 17 rd cap? AR have a flash hider & bayo mount? SBR?

2. No you do not need to register guns you already have moving to NJ. Don't do it

3. Register yourself for what? Are you a convicted sex offender?

4. Some require FPID some do not

5. No mags more than 15 rrds, posession is illegal

Just one heads-up of a strange quirk in NJ law that came to light during the infamous Brian Aitken trial - there is no provision in NJ law for transporting hollowpoint ammunition between residences when moving. Just to err on the side of caution, maybe best to divest yourself of any HP ammo before moving. Or, consider shipping it to yourself at your new address.

Please note that it is perfectly legal, to purchase, own, possess and transport (to exempted locations - between residences not being one of them) HP ammo.

You may want to consider getting your FPID card as it removes transport restrictions on long guns and allows you to purchase handgun ammo (in NJ - although some Internet vendors are now also requiring it).

Welcome to the gulag.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thank you all for the helpful and concise answers!

My 9mm is a Glock 26 with the extended magazine ("Pinky extension") and holds 12- so that's good.

My .22 is a Merlin Model 60; very basic .22 LR with a fixed "magazine" (bullets loaded into a feeder that's permanently attached to the gun) not sure how many it holds; I got it as a kid and haven't fired in 20+ years- would sell it but only worth $50-75, so holding it. Seems that, as it's an attached mag, it's not subject to the 15 restriction.

No changes made to my very run-of-the-mill pump action shotgun, so good there, too.

the AR-15 is the S&W M&P Sport- no flash hider or bayonete mount; I'll leave my 30 round mag's here in FL. Damn shame about that, because I have the .223/556 conversion to .22 bolt and mags (spent $200 for those parts and saved that much in bullet costs the first weekend I had it). the mags are specialized for this and hold 30+, so it looks like all those parts get to stay in FL, too.

Just one heads-up of a strange quirk in NJ law that came to light during the infamous Brian Aitken trial - there is no provision in NJ law for transporting hollowpoint ammunition between residences when moving. Just to err on the side of caution, maybe best to divest yourself of any HP ammo before moving. Or, consider shipping it to yourself at your new address.

I can't drive it to my house when I enter the state, but I can FedEx it? Is this what people mean when they say NJ has backwards gun laws?

Can I drive to and from the range with my long guns in the back of my SUV without the FPID?

PLEASE tell me there's enough of you guys working on things that NJ may one day be more practical and empowering with the 2nd Amendment!

"flash hiders" in and of themselves aren't illegal. They are just one of the "evil features" a semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine can have no more than one of. "flash hiders are illegal" is very widespread misinformation.

The Marlin 60 issue has been handled before:

Unmodified, it's an illegal NJ Assault weapon.

To make it jersey-legal, remove the inner magazine tube.

Get a small tubing cutter (as used by plumbers) and replace the cutter wheel with a similar sized thin washer.

Use the modified tool to score (not cut through) the brass tube to prevent the follower inside the mag tube from going far enough to have the completed assembly (tube inserted in the rifle) accept more than 15 .22LR cartridges.

Voila!

Jersey-legal

Welcome to our own brand of hell, the prnj

Also, your AR-15, is it a "Colt" brand "AR-15"? What brand is it? What model number did the manufacturer stamp on it? Because under our vague ridiculous laws the ACTUAL Colt AR-15 is illegal period, regardless of whether you have evil features on it or not. What brand and model number is it? In free states you can call it an AR-15, but if you come to NJ and go to court, you want to say "it is not an AR-15, it is a [bRAND] [MODEL NUMBER THAT IS NOT AR-15]."

And as others have said, watch out about that Marlin Model 60. That isn't a theoretical warning either - a target shooter in this state has a felony conviction hung on him that was affirmed by the supreme court of the state for just that exact rifle. I won't even touch a tube fed .22 semi-auto in this state because of the chance that a prosecutor will start putting .22 shorts in it and find that it holds more than 15 .22 shorts. On the plus side, a lever action gun has no magazine limitation, and you can get a Henry rifle, made in New Jersey, that has huge legal capacity.

Do you know anyone in Florida that you can leave your guns with? If you know someone well down there, it might just make sense to leave the AR and the .22 down there, and come up here with the handgun and buy whatever you want that's Jersey Legal up here.

matthewvictor: DON'T DO IT....

But if you do, you've received some good info on our confounded firearms laws to help you out.

My head is STILL spinning over something I heard from a shooter over the weekend, and this goes to a point PizzaBob made earlier in thread: This guy lives in North Bergen, NJ, but has a Poconos weekender home. He keeps most of his firearms out in PA, but when he DOES need to bring 'em over the river he FEDEXES them to his NJ address! That's how paranoid he is about this damned state and its laws.

Seriously, I hope your circumstances change and you don't have to relocate here. Besides a rapidly-deteriorating quality of life; sky-high tolls (the $13 they are now charging to cross the Bayonne Bridge into Staten Island assures that I will never set foot there again); roadway congestion; spiraling crime rates; feckless politicians; political corruption up the wazoo; and the infamous gun laws that strive to make criminals out of law-abiding citizens, there is NO reason at all you shouldn't move here, LOL.

but when he DOES need to bring 'em over the river he FEDEXES them to his NJ address!

That's just an asinine waste of money. He's completely legal to bring NJ legal firearms from his home in the Poconos to his home in NJ as long as his route is as direct as possible.

I can't drive it to my house when I enter the state, but I can FedEx it? Is this what people mean when they say NJ has backwards gun laws?

Yeah, that's a pretty good example

Can I drive to and from the range with my long guns in the back of my SUV without the FPID?

Yes you can - providing no unecessary deviations from the route. Only the courts and the prosecutors can tell you what an "unecessary deviation" is, and the definition changes at their whim. Better off getting the FPID.

PLEASE tell me there's enough of you guys working on things that NJ may one day be more practical and empowering with the 2nd Amendment!

Yes there are plenty of people working to get these insane laws changed - but it's an uphill battle in a blue state. You may want to look into the NJ2AS - they are doing some terrific work. Unfortunately at this stage, a lot of their efforts are aimed toward getting the local police to comply with the law - ironic, huh?

Good luck. We're here if you need us.

Adios,

Pizza Bob