chris327

brake / compensator without the blast

So on my current ar the brake blows a blast right back at the shooter or anyone standing to the sides. Are there any brakes that limit this blast? im looking at for my build what im going to use so i have an idea. and i want something that has as little blast as possible basically.

Battle comp is pretty good in terms of side blast. My rra brake would make your head explode if your standing 2 feet to either side. You can see that the battle comp doesn't direct gas back. My rra ports have angle cuts in them. The battle comps has many more smaller cuts but none are angled.

the current setup is on a factory bushmaster not sure what kind but i hate it. i guess the battle comp is the way i wanna go, so if im next to it i dont explode. which model do you guys have?

I put the 1.5 on my BCM 14.5 upper. She ran like a butte in the class.

I have a miculek comp on mine. I can double tap with hardly any muzzle flip but sucks to be you if your standing next to me. Sounds kinda douche-y but I'm not really worried about the guy next to me as long as my comp is doing what its supposed to.

From my research when I was shopping for one, I found there is no win-win choice. At the end, I chose the FSC 556 just because it didn't blast back at me. It was perfectly fine for me and the ppl behind me, but sorry for the ppl on my sides, ie., my spotter. As an added note for one of the days I went to EGFA, there were 3 others with the same comp as mine and another with a Miculek. So if you're not going to be dishing it, still be prepared to receive it. Find one that works best for you and tell your fellow neighbors to double-up on the ears.

If you do want one that's pretty quiet, my friend has the Dynacomp 1.5 that works very well. When I'm spotting for him on the side, no noticeable blast.

It's basic physics. Comps work by two basic methods. Shoving a lot of gas against a baffle, and gas jetting. You have two forces to counteract, rearward movement of the gun, and muzzle rise (a large chunk of muzzle rise comes form rearward motion of the gun combined with a person operating it). With the baffle approach, the gasses and noise head out either backwards, perpendicular, or somewhere in between. With jetting, noth go in the direction of the jet, so usually up and/or sides.

If your comp doesn't sound loud to the sides, behind, and above you, it's probably not very effective. If it isn't shoving enough gas in those directions to create noticeable noise and pressure, it probably isn't very effective.

Of course, you can make a ton of noise and not work very well, like the mini Y comp.

i just ordered the EGW Compensator... internet reviews say its much better than most other comps...

Their A2 style, or their space gun style? The space gun one looks a lot like the sabre defense gill brakes which is generally regarded as one of those too much noise for not enough performance types. It also looks a bit like the arrendondo brake without the top jets.

As far as compensator feedback, I wouldn't trust a lot of it. A huge chunk of it falls into the same category of "I put this bolt on exhaust and air filter on my car and it must make at least 40 horse power because it feels so much faster", i.e. "I believe it is awesome because I wanted to believe that before I even ordered it and refuse to let reality interfere because I don't have the experience to judge or will never admit to having made a pointless purchase." Then you hit the people who are well informed, and at that point you have to deal with people declaring brand X, model Y to be the most awesome comp ever and are really just arguing minor differences that boil down to personal preference and individual ergonomics.

Then of course all of the above are complicated by the question of what ammo were you shooting through it. I have a smith comp on one gun. It basically does nothing wiht most ammo. With m193, it actually shoves the muzzle down a bit in hot weather and works nice in chilly weather.

I have the EGW A2 style comps on all 3 of my carbines. I'm not going to say they are 'the best' at anything, however they are very effective comps, and don't break the bank. They also retain the A2 look, if that's important to you.

I'm very satisfied with them.

I have a miculek comp on mine. I can double tap with hardly any muzzle flip but sucks to be you if your standing next to me. Sounds kinda douche-y but I'm not really worried about the guy next to me as long as my comp is doing what its supposed to.

I second this suggestion, I love the miculek and at a price point of $35 it's UN-beatable. Double tap is awesomely on point.

Me likey! Alot!

the current setup is on a factory bushmaster not sure what kind but i hate it. i guess the battle comp is the way i wanna go, so if im next to it i dont explode. which model do you guys have?

my wife's ar has the izzy brake (its a bushmaster) and my BCM has the battle comp....when she shoots, it scares the ever living crap from me in the next port from the blast. The battle comp is AAAALOT better. It's pricey, but it does work. I am holding out for a BCM comp for my next build though

I have the Spikes Dynacomp on my 14.5" and its not bad at all compared to some others Ive stood next too. And its downright pleasant to stand next to compared to my friends 6.5 grendel with a Rainier Arms mini comp on it. Not to mention the Dynacomp is cheaper than the Battle Comp and they are of similar design