captblue1

I weep for the younger generation

I am trying to hire an entry level IT person. I am trying to looking over the resumes. There are misspellings, incorrect words used, lack of punctuation, poor formatting. It is like they just trust spell check and let it go without proof reading. Just wanted to vent a little.

I finally found a Senior Programmer after hundreds of resumes tens of phone interviews and face to face interviews that didn't work out.

Now I'm having trouble getting his salary approved so I can extend an offer...

Now comes word that some "progressive" educators and school systems are contemplating doing away with cursive writing instruction. I hope none of the youngsters that miss out on it ever get lost in the wilderness or at sea: they'd never be able to spell "HELP" on the hillside or put a message in a bottle.

Seriously, I shudder every time a young person at my place of employment has to submit a written report of any kind, so awash are they in typos, poor grammar, fetid punctuation, etc. Most of these folks, by the way, are either graduated from, or matriculating in, college.

Now comes word that some "progressive" educators and school systems are contemplating doing away with cursive writing instruction.

Do you mean cursive or print? I don't even think I remember how to write in cursive except for how to sign my name.

I agree, my generation is horrible. It was painful proofreading other people's papers in class... I hated my junior and senior year English teacher, until I got to college and realized that he taught me how to write. One of the best teachers I've ever had. Still hate his class though.

Do you mean cursive or print? I don't even think I remember how to write in cursive except for how to sign my name.

Thats a dam good question... How the hell are people going to sign their names? Just print it?

I have received my fair share of atrocious resumes. I too simply throw them out. The way I see it is that if you cant even prepare a decent resume how the hell would you expect me to think you could do a decent job?

Ken

hey hey hey, i take offense to some comments here. I may not be the best at grammar, but i do a hell of a job at my place, so much so, that i consider myself un-fireable, and just as an FYI i'm a senior accounts receivable/payable clerk. let the bashing begin :)

hey hey hey, i take offense to some comments here. I may not be the best at grammar, but i do a hell of a job at my place, so much so, that i consider myself un-fireable, and just as an FYI i'm a senior accounts receivable/payable clerk. let the bashing begin :)

My grammar and spelling suck too when I let it. If I needed to prepare something as important as a resume I would at least take the time to proof read it and have someone else proof read it too. I think the main point here is that if you dont take the time to write a good resume than who would expect you to do a good job. Since you have a good job you either wrote a good resume or where hired by someone that didn't care enough to read your resume! There, there's your bashing!

I have been looking to hire another sysadmin for months... Can't find anyone qualified, but yet all the applicants want at least 90k. It's a shame.

How high level are you looking at?

Because honestly if they've got the experience and are that qualified then $90k is where they're supposed to be.

I'm a moderator on another forum where the average age is probably between 15-30, and some of the unintelligible gibberish posted by our members is downright scary. We have rules to attempt to restrict the whole txt-speek nonsense...but it's asking too much for people to bother to read the rules...let alone type anything that makes sense. Sadly, it is not just the younger kids...people my age (30) seem susceptible too...

The worst thing is that the argument these people like to use most often is "I'm not at school/I'm not writing a paper for school" as if that were an excuse for the piss-poor writing, grammar, spelling, and inane abbreviations... I'm not saying that I'm an English professor, or that I am perfect (I used to have an Editor, that was nice), but is it asking that much for people to know the difference between their/there/they're or its/it's..?

I have friends who are teachers, and the stories I hear about the things kids have turned in...it makes me wonder what the hell happened in the last few years... Turning in a paper that was directly copied from a website, advertising information and all still included? You got it... Papers written completely in txt-speek? Of course... I'm starting to feel real old....

Damned kids...get off my lawn..!

My grammar and spelling suck too when I let it. If I needed to prepare something as important as a resume I would at least take the time to proof read it and have someone else proof read it too. I think the main point here is that if you dont take the time to write a good resume than who would expect you to do a good job. Since you have a good job you either wrote a good resume or where hired by someone that didn't care enough to read your resume! There, there's your bashing!

I know what you mean, I was just busting some chops in here. I agree, grammar and spelling and the whole nine yards matter when it comes to the resumes, or even when answering the analytical questions some jobs ask during the pre-interviews via email. I also despise one word emails, that right there is my tipping point. (Angry face)

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk 2

If you find two, send me one.

I throw away resumes with spelling or grammatical errors without even reading them. I don't care how qualified you are. If you can't present yourself properly with your resume, I don't want you working for me.

I do the exact same thing.

I am trying to hire an entry level IT person. I am trying to looking(look) over the resumes. There are misspellings, incorrect words used, lack of punctuation, poor formatting. It is like they just trust spell check and let it go without proof reading. Just wanted to vent a little.

:picknose:

I am a bit of a grammar Nazi. Some of the stuff people post on this forum is completely illegible, and it really irks me. Not just misspellings and lack of punctuation but things that are completely unreadable.

This is a thought I had awhile ago, when I used to be guilty of "text-talking", if you write poorly it gives people the impression that you are either lazy and/or poorly educated(dumb). And why would you want to portray yourself in a negative light.

I hope no other grammar Nazis come along and find errors in what I just wrote or else I will really look like an asshole. :p

The worst thing is that the argument these people like to use most often is "I'm not at school/I'm not writing a paper for school" as if that were an excuse for the piss-poor writing, grammar, spelling, and inane abbreviations... I'm not saying that I'm an English professor, or that I am perfect (I used to have an Editor, that was nice), but is it asking that much for people to know the difference between their/there/they're or its/it's..?

You should hear that argument when it becomes "This isn't an English paper, you shouldn't be grading me on spelling/grammar/etc..." Always funny when a professor laughs at an idiot in front of the whole class. Sadly its becoming more common that its him laughing at 75% of the class and the rest of us are facepalming.

I have to do a lot of quarterly and yearly reviews for my employees. I would put the number at about 30 or so. 90% of them are older than me.

The spelling and grammar on their part of the reviews is HORRENDOUS. I don't think it has to do strictly with this generation.

The previous generation wept for your generation, and the next generation will weep for the one following it. Everyone thinks they have invented sex.

I'm not much older than someone I am looking to hire. I believe that with the increased use of text messaging professioinalism has gone down hill. I see emails from higher ups that look worse than text messages. There is no character limit in email. Give me details. Don't make me ask 20 questions when you could have just emailed 3 sentences instead of one phrase that is riddled with spelling errors so bad i have no idea what the word is supposed to be. But that is another rant. 50-60 year olds who think they are cool because they just learned about text messaging.

I'm not much older than someone I am looking to hire. I believe that with the increased use of text messaging professioinalism has gone down hill. I see emails from higher ups that look worse than text messages. There is no character limit in email. Give me details. Don't make me ask 20 questions when you could have just emailed 3 sentences instead of one phrase that is riddled with spelling errors so bad i have no idea what the word is supposed to be. But that is another rant. 50-60 year olds who think they are cool because they just learned about text messaging.

It cuts both ways. I'm a naturally verbose person and prefer to give details. I think it is better than leaving a lot of unturned stones. In my business, I've at times been labeled as a time waster or someone who has too much to say.

Seriously.

Since we are typing and not hand writing....

:picknose:

I am a bit of a grammar Nazi. Some of the stuff people post on this forum is completely illegible unintelligible, and it really irks me. Not just misspellings and lack of punctuation but things that are completely unreadable.

This is a thought I had awhile ago, when I used to be guilty of "text-talking", if you write poorly it gives people the impression that you are either lazy and/or poorly educated(dumb). And why would you want to portray yourself in a negative light.

I hope no other grammar Nazis come along and find errors in what I just wrote or else I will really look like an asshole. :p

Since we are typing and not hand writing....

LOL, I knew someone would get me. That is the word I was shooting for but couldn't figure out the spelling. I just couldn't spit it out. haha