rtquig

Got a parking ticket, any suggestions?........RESOLVED

We received in the mail today a $40 parking ticket from a town (Montclair) in North Jersey about 75 miles from where we live. The Location of the ticket is listed as Fairfield Pa. I googled it and it is a town of around 500 people near Gettysburg Pa. On the date of the ticket, we know where we were and the car was at our home. The car is used by my son who is away at college without the car. How do you fight at ticket like that? Take a day off work, only to lose and use a vacation day to boot, plus drive 150 mile round trip? How does a town in NJ give a parking ticket to another town 150 miles away in Pa?

Does the car make/model/color listed on the ticket match yours?

Sometime the cop's writing is sloppy or the clerk enters the plate wrong and the ticket goes to the wrong person. Happened to me a few years ago. I gave the clerk the reg. # of my vehicle over the phone. Lo and behold, my car was completely different than the one on the summons.

The ticket only lists the license plate number. When you go to the web site www.NJMCDirect.com it lists the car as a Honda which is correct, but doesn't mention color. I call Montclair on Wednesday but in the end will end up paying the $40 I bet.

The title of the notice says "Failure to Appear Notice on 12/21/2012. Never received a summons.

It goes on to say "If you fail to plead not guilty or pay the $40., A warrant may be issued for your arrest and driving privileges may be suspended and may be subject to contempt of court.".

In an interesting twist, it so happens my wife, who the ticket was issued to, at the time was at a 4H event with 2 of our lawyer friends who one happens to be in the prosecutors office. But for $40, I wouldn't drag them into it but will ask their advice.

1st, if they are lawyer friends, Im sure their advice is free....

2nd, you never received a summons, because the original summons was on the vehicle that they ticketed.

3rd, I would fight it, just for the purpose of it. Even if it cost $100, the feeling you beat the law is a great feeling.

call the court. I got one of those from Jersey City, the clerk on the phone said something like, yeah , we've been having a lot of problems with this guy, and they dismissed it. or just pay the money. not worth it to go to the court. if you are pleading not guilty pro se you will sit there until every other case is handled. I did that once for a handicap tag not displayed. it was interesting but not sure worth the 3 hours.

In an interesting twist, it so happens my wife, who the ticket was issued to, at the time was at a 4H event with 2 of our lawyer friends who one happens to be in the prosecutors office. But for $40, I wouldn't drag them into it but will ask their advice.

It was issued to the registered owner. If someone else other than your wife is the registered owner, then...... just say'n.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

The title of the notice says "Failure to Appear Notice on 12/21/2012. Never received a summons.

It goes on to say "If you fail to plead not guilty or pay the $40., A warrant may be issued for your arrest and driving privileges may be suspended and may be subject to contempt of court.".

I got an FTA notice from Jersey City years ago for a parking ticket when I hadn't been there in years and for a vehicle I had never driven there. I called the court and they looked up the description of the vehicle written on the ticket vs the registered vehicle, they did not match (ticket written for a 1987 gray ford van, I owned a 1987 GMC 3500 mason dump). The ticket was dismissed based on the non matching description, did not have to go to court or anything. Call them, it should be resolved if your vehicle legitimately wasn't there.

If also gotten violation notices from the several different agencies that use EZ pass (Port Authority NJ/NY and NY MTA). Apparently someone must have been taking black electrical tape and changing the 3's on their plate to 8's or something similar. When I called these agencies to tell them I wasn't the one who ran the toll, they got nasty with me telling to just pay up because they have cameras that will prove my vehicle was the one that didn't pay. My answer to them was, good then when you look at the picture you'll see that the registered plate number does not match the vehicle photographed going through the toll. The violations were dismissed upon review of the photos. Nowadays they send the picture automatically with the violation notice.

No, my wife is the registered owner. I'm sure I'll get nowhere when I call on Wednesday, but I'll go through the motions and call Montclair first and ask how they write tickets out for a town in PA. For $40, in the end it will be less headache, but I will bust their balls before I pay for a ticket that is their mistake.

I called the Municipal Court of Montclair today. They issued the ticket to a Black Honda Civic. My son drives our Silver Honda Civic. I need to send in a letter with a cop of the registration and they will void the ticket.