jonny.montana

which would be the best......?

Which would be the best state to move to .... to find a good job and raise a family? and of course gun friendly state.

I being looking into Minnesota and Texas, unemployment rate in those states are less than 4% and living expenses are considerable lower than in NJ.

So which state you think is better?

North Dakota? With the Bakken coming on line, the unemployment is negative. There are more jobs than people.

Also, as stated above...what activities do you like. If it's snow mobiles and cold weather choose Minnesota and it's a great place for your children to pick up a funny accent.

If you like bugs and desert, Texas is pretty good although you can get four seasons in the Pan Handle and some other areas.

Funny this topic came up. Wife and I were discussing this recently and we like the warm weather without hurricanes and that Texas is one of the states still doing better than the rest of the lower 47 in terms of jobs... So I'm thinking Texas is coming sooner or later for my family.

Funny this topic came up. Wife and I were discussing this recently and we like the warm weather without hurricanes and that Texas is one of the states still doing better than the rest of the lower 47 in terms of jobs... So I'm thinking Texas is coming sooner or later for my family.

Me and wife have been saying the same thing. Plus, Texas is its own country. I have friends that live their and say that the unemployment rate isn't exactly true and that jobs are scarce. Texas can also have done cold weather in the northern areas. They've had snow too. Texas isn't first choice, followed by Florida which has a higher unemployment rate. Let's be honest though, outside of metropolitan area, not many jobs are out there.

My cousin was transplanted to Texas by the USAF. He's never coming back here (except to visit).

(I saw the same thing happen when I worked in NYC. The company opened a branch office in Texas and decided to close it down after a few years. Nobody came back. Why would they? For the price of a one-bedroom apartment with one closet in NYC, they could live in a home that would be unobtainable by anyone except Masters of the Universe in the city.)

You do realize that Texas gets hit by hurricanes fairly frequently, don't you? particularly the warmer areas of Texas.

I was stationed in SW OK on the border of TX for a few years. Cost of living is low , wages even lower. Oil field work is hard work. Most of the guys work as contractors which means you are on your own for healthcare in an industry where people lose fingers and break bones.

When not out of the country for my work, I spend 6-8 weeks each year working out of my company's Houston and smaller Texas offices. Houston is comprised primarily of transplants now, and my wife and I have many friends who are included in those transplants (including my best friend who left the Bay Area). The unemployment rate, in my estimation, is a bit off because of the monster retail job boom throughout the state. Strip malls are more common in Texas than any state! So people in need of employment take those positions which really may not be your profession.

I'm considering more and more of moving my wife and I to Texas. While born and spending my childhood in NJ, as did my wife, we spent much time away from it living in "free states" and only came back because of an offer from my employer that would have been crazy to turn down. Now, I'm in a position where I could transfer seamlessly to the company's Houston operations, and having my NJ property taxes double in 3 years, an abundance of taxes on everything, incredibly stringent gun laws, terrible State government (I have to deal with it professionally at many levels) really makes it hard to justify staying... Real estate in Houston has good availability and the dollar goes a long way. Gun friendly is an understatement. The only problem is the several months of extremely oppressing heat in the summer...

Now if I were retiring, Utah.