Sign in to follow this  
Juddster

Thinking of getting into Rifle target shooting..

I shoot pistol and shotgun regularly, I am thinking I want to buy a bolt action rifle and a nice scope for target shooting. Can anyone suggest a good rifle for under 1k ? What caliber should I be considering? There seems to be many options?

Thanks!

Is the 1k for just the rifle or scope included? How far to you plan on shooting out to? Just target shooting? You are right indeed, there are a ton of options. Everybody is going to have their own opinion, so don't discount something that doesn't get mentioned.

There is a thousand options.

My 1K setup is a Remington 700 Tactical 20" chambered in .308 winchester ($600-$650). I have a SWFA SS 10x fixed power mildot scope ($300). Burris Extreme Tactical Rings and a EGW 20moa Scope Mount ($100-$150). This setup will take you from 50 - 1000yds.

Indoor or outdoor range?

Distance?

Budget for ammo?

If you go to an outdoor range and are shooting 200+ yards, and have money for ammo; a 308 is a good round. 308 is also a good hunting round for just about anything in north America, so if you think you may try hunting this is an option. 243 is also a good flat shooter and good for deer hunting or varmant hunting. Just target shooting, 223 is a good choice and there are lots of options there.

Rifle brands to consider include, but are not limited to, CZ, Kimber, Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Mossberg.

I'm looking into a 223 bolt rifle that I can put nice peep sights on and shoot open sights out to 200 yards. I'm thinking a CZ455.

The Mossberg MVP is also appealing to me since it takes AR magazines and can be fitted with after market sights.

I have a Remington 700 in 308 with a nice aftermarket stock and bipod. With this I can group shots on small paper plates at 300 yards and larger targets at 600 yards.

Hit some local stores and look at their rifles. If you see some things you like hit us up again for feedback. IF you know some people nearby, perhaps yuou can try their rifles to get an idea.

Good Luck

Thanks for the replies, It will be used for outdoor shooting, Im at SJSC for now I can go up to 300 yards. I would go up to $12-1400 with a good scope. Whats the best caliber? 308?

The 2 most popular and calibers are .223 and .308. Rule of thumb is .223 to 600yds, .308 to 800yds (but you can take either further).

Im looking at the Tikka now online, they look nice, made by Beretta is a good brand. What length 20? is longer better for long range accuracy?

For .308 all you need is 20" to take full advantage of its energy. Read this study:

http://www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/

Been thinking of the same thing once tax season rolls around...a nice scoped bolt action in .308 No one here likes Savages? I've seen some nice scoped combos fairly inexpensive...Savage 11 or 16 any love for these?

Love Savages. I think they are the best bang for the buck *rimshot* in centerfire rifles.

Stay away from the scoped combos. The glass is garbage.

Stay away from the scoped combos. The glass is garbage.

+1. First time I ever went to the gun counter at Cabela's I asked to see a rifle/scope combo, and the sales guy set me straight on that real quick. You have to have quality glass.

So am I. I plan on taking a ride to look at some Browning rifles one day. I have two Browning guns already, can't say enough about their quality. The rifle would be mostly a safe queen and only shot once in awhile, so I want something that looks nice besides shoots good.

Im looking at the Tikka now online, they look nice, made by Beretta is a good brand. What length 20? is longer better for long range accuracy?

Tikka's are made by Sako in Finland. Both Sako and Tikka fall under the Beretta name, the parent company. Any Sako or the lower-end Tikka is a high quality name in a rifle and they have been around for years. Ithaca LSA (Light, Strong, Accurate) rifles were made by Tikka.The Browning rifle imports from 1959-1974 used Sako actions on their Safari line of bolt-action rifles, in the small and medum-sized actions. (These old Browning's are sought after today by collectors, and folks who can stumble upon an older Ithaca LSA 55/65 can usually find them cheap.)

Browning's A-bolt made by Miroku was introduced in 1985. It's a solid rifle but has never had the following of your basic post-64 RemChester's.

+1 for Savage. Their centerfire bolt guns are not as popular as their rimfires, but from the people I've spoken to, they are extremely nice and quite underrated. I have a MKII; it's a tack driver.

Only other advice is, for precision rifle, spend about 60/40 on the rifle/optics. If your budget is $1000, $600 for the gun, $400 for the scope. Good luck with it.

I just bought a Remington 700 sps tactical for 700 bucks plus mounts, rings and a I am using a crap scope till I scrape together money to get a decent one. It's a 20" barrel 1:10 twist with hogue overmolded stock, and flash suppressor. The barrel is threaded so you can change to something you like better. The gun shoots fantastic and there are so many options to customize a 700.

If you plan on reloading then I will throw this in as a wild herring...Savage model 12 LRPV rifle chambered in 6mm BR Norma. Awesome cartridge for your 300 range and easy to handload for. The Lapua brass will last for 50 to 60 reloadings. Most accurate out of the box factory rifle I have ever shot. Throw on a Sightron SIII scope like the 36x and your are all set up.

Any feedback on the Ruger American? Seems to have good reviews and a $300-350 price tag.

This. Started a thread on here asking that same question a few months ago and got nothing. Hopefully more people have bought it by now. Was relatively new when I brought it up.