DBCooper

OK to walk to range?

Odd question but is it legal to walk to my local range, pistol packed up obviously in a case inside a backpack, unloaded etc. I only ask because the local range is a 5 minute walk.

Thanks dudes

I thought you wanted to parachute to the range :):):)

I ride my bicycle to the range--about 16 miles--quite often. Just follow the transport laws. "shall be carried

unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package,

or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported." Take note of the use of the word 'or.' By the letter of the law you could tie it up in cellophane or a clear plastic case--as long as it is secure--but there is no sense in drawing unwelcome attention. I usually place my guns in their cases and inside a pannier that is zipped.

Just do not make any unnecessary stops or deviations--"travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."

This was asked a few years ago. I can't find the thread. There was also someone asking about riding a bike or motorcycle to the range too.

Good question

MC is good to go also, I would do it more, but most of the time I get to the range I'm shooting a match and it's hard to carry my Cart on the bike.. LOL

I ride my bicycle to the range--about 16 miles--quite often. Just follow the transport laws. "shall be carried

unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package,

or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported." Take note of the use of the word 'or.' By the letter of the law you could tie it up in cellophane or a clear plastic case--as long as it is secure--but there is no sense in drawing unwelcome attention. I usually place my guns in their cases and inside a pannier that is zipped.

Just do not make any unnecessary stops or deviations--"travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."

How do you ride your bike? A range trip for me takes up half the car and probably weighs damn near 300lbs...

Not a problem. Just trying to help out

Nah, just don't be stupid about it. Go directly to the range, shoot and then go home. If ya really wanna be careful don't carry ammo, just buy from the range.

Not having ammo changes nothing. You are going to jail for 7 years or you are not. Ammo is not an adder on the sentence.

Not having ammo changes nothing. You are going to jail for 7 years or you are not. Ammo is not an adder on the sentence.

excellent point, my bad. I was thinking along the lines of just saying Hey, I have no ammo just my handgun coming home from the range but that's not necessary.

I posed this question to the NJ State Police a couple weeks ago. The Trooper on the phone seemed very confused and generally didn't feel like talking to me. He just told me to call the Police in the town I would be in to see if he had a problem with it.

When I do move, I'll likely be in Hoboken or Westfield, and when I did some searching, I discovered that there are no ranges in "walking" distance. I would still love to be able to take the bus instead of having to rent a zip car every time I go to the range. Which isn't even that often, considering the cost of ammo these days.

That doesent seem right, through traffic with a lawful reason. I think it would be no difference than being in a car. Hell i LIVE in a school zone am i breaking the law when i put guns in my truck/house?

It is a good question and i think a call to the police would help solve that.

That doesent seem right, through traffic with a lawful reason. I think it would be no difference than being in a car. Hell i LIVE in a school zone am i breaking the law when i put guns in my truck/house?

It is a good question and i think a call to the police would help solve that.

It is no different in a car. Still banned within 1000 feet of a school. Websearch GFSZA.

It does not apply to private property within the GFSZ. It does apply to roads within the zone. It does not apply to people licensed to carry by the state the school is located in. There are also some exceptions for having locked up and unloaded firearms. Look it up. I don't worry much about it.

How do you ride your bike? A range trip for me takes up half the car and probably weighs damn near 300lbs...

I am just shooting pistols, so I will bring my 1911, Beretta 92, or both and a 1-2 hundred rounds of each caliber. Gives me incentive to shoot all my rounds to make the return trip a bit easier. If I were going to bring long guns/ammo I would need to get a decent trailer or maybe a longtail like a Burley Big Dummy.

I was thinking about walking it--it is about 16 miles each way, so that would make a range trip pretty much an all-day affair. But I had not considered the weight--even with just the 9mm it would be quite a haul so I might reconsider that. But maybe I will give it a shot this summer (no pun intended).

I had not even consider the GFSZ issue though--I guess I better google schools on the route. I know that if I drive to Brick, one route goes right by an elementary school. Does the zone include any school district property--such as bus garages?

Here is the way I look at it: if you are just walking down the street carying a pistol in you backpack (a pistol in your backpack and a rifle case on your shoulder, that's a different story), who is going to know?. 99.9% chance you could do this every weekend for 10 years and never have an encounter with a LEO. Even if a LEO sees you walking out of the range, he still needs probable cause to search your backpack.

IMHO, if you do have an encounter with LEO, you will have a very bad day. This is certainly good for a free ride in a police car (at the very least) because they will probably want to hold you until the determine you are not a prohibited person.

I am pretty confident that no laws are being broke, so in the end you probably will not be charged with anything. However, this is NJ.

Make sure you have your NJDL and your range ID with you. Your FPID (while not required by any law) might also help to put the LEO at ease.