Dan

Thank you Obama - friend converted

I have a good friend who has been mostly apathetic towards gun rights, and has recently gone fairly anti after the mass shootings in the news.

Nothing I could say would sway him; that is until Obama's speech today. After he watched it, he started getting a creepy feeling and engaged me in conversation. He said it felt too orchestrated and emotionalized, leaving him with a slimy feeling that there was something very wrong. He felt the motives were not to "save the children" and that they were just being used to promote some agenda.

I helped him understand the finer details around "assault weapons" and what they really are versus SA guns with cosmetic features.

He asked me today what he needs to do to get a FID in NJ. I'm walking him through the process now.

I really hope other apathetic/on the fence folks are making the same decision.

I'm trying convert people as well. Especially family members who've been on the fence for some time and I think i've been successful with two uncles. Most just don't have the money to buy anything and don't see a point in applying for their FID/p2p they can't get what they would really want... which I can completely understand.

Its just upsetting to see people react to the whole situation and become 100% anti-2A. It's even more sad to see people believe everything they see and hear on TV...

Most of my women friends keep talking to me about the evil of Assault weapons. I than explain the difference between a semi-auto rifle and explain we don't own assault weapons. Less than 2% of the murders are due to evil black rifles. Keep hitting them with the facts.

I expect to see quite a few fence converts in the coming months. Forcing the issue is the best way to get all those beloved middlemen to fall to one side or the other, and somehow I feel that we'll end up with more at the end of it all.

Feel free to hate me for saying this, but I think the 1-on-1 conversations approaches are better than attending any rally. Actually changing minds of people is far more effective than making a public display of what you think.

Moral of the story: Take your anti-gun friends to the range, people!

Feel free to hate me for saying this, but I think the 1-on-1 conversations approaches are better than attending any rally. Actually changing minds of people is far more effective than making a public display of what you think.

Moral of the story: Take your anti-gun friends to the range, people!

Both are equally important. 1-on-1 conversations that educate and hopefully convert people are effective in the longer run because people may vote smarter in the future. However that does nothing for the short term, for the politicians already in office. For them you need to show them your strength and numbers and for that a public display/rally and contacting them is very effective.

Both are equally important. 1-on-1 conversations that educate and hopefully convert people are effective in the longer run because people may vote smarter in the future. However that does nothing for the short term, for the politicians already in office. For them you need to show them your strength and numbers and for that a public display/rally and contacting them is very effective.

I should have mentioned both are incredibly important and I actually think the 1-on-1 is the more long-term investment than a rally against the gun-control flavor of the day. The more public support we can garner on the long haul the better. Doing one of these two things shouldn't be perceived to be an excuse to not do the other.