This came out this morning:

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/01/nj_voters_favor_stricter_gun_c.html#incart_m-rpt-1

TRENTON — A majority of New Jersey voters want stricter gun control measures at the state level, according to a poll released this morning.

The Quinnipiac University poll of 1,647 voters found that 58 percent think New Jersey — which already has some of the toughest gun restrictions in the nation — should have stricter laws on the books. Twenty-nine percent think the current laws are fine, while 8 percent want the state to have less strict gun measures.

Overwhelming majorities support more stringent federal gun measures, including bans on high capacity magazines and assault rifles. And 96 percent support requiring background checks for purchases at gun shows.

By a smaller margin — 50 percent to 44 percent — voters favor having armed guards in schools, which the National Rifle Association called for in the aftermath of the Newtown tragedy.

12085511-small.jpg

MORE POLITICS

“On a series of gun-control questions — background checks for gun buyers, nationwide bans on assault weapons and big bullet magazines — New Jersey gives clear support,” said Maurice Carroll, director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, in a statement. “The support is solid, but a trifle less vigorous, on state gun control laws. A majority says they should be tougher but a sizable plurality says New Jersey law is just about right.”

Democrats in the Legislature have introduced dozens of gun control bills in recent weeks. Gov. Chris Christie said in the summer that he does not believe the state needs any new gun laws.

The poll also found that most voters — 86 percent — favor raising New Jersey’s minimum wage, which is currently $7.25. Thirty-two percent want to raise it to percent want to increase it to $8.25 per hour, while 45 percent would like to see it increased even more than that.

“New Jerseyans are in a generous mood when it comes to raising the minimum wage, with overwhelming support for an increase, even among Republicans,” said Carroll.

Democrats who control the Legislature have passed a measure to raise the minimum wage to $8.50 and automatically each subsequent year based on the consumer price index. If Republican Gov. Chris Christie vetoes the measure, they plan to put a question on the ballot in November.

The poll was conducted from Jan. 15 to Jan. 21 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.4 percentage points.

We'll see if Christie caves. Keep writing folks. At the VERY least, let's not end up like NY.

Of course they do because when you ask the average NJ voter what NJ gun laws are, they have ZERO idea! I cannot tell you how many conversations I've had in the last month where uniformed NJ residents think the current laws allow them to walk into any gun shop and buy a firearm. No clue about FPID requirements. No idea the process for a P2P. They're totally uniformed, and you can bet the preamble of the poll doesn't tell them!

This is part of the propaganda campaign through the media. You can skew a poll any way you like. But yea - we need to bombard the politicians with letters. We shouldn't have to put up with this attack against us.

Before I became a NJ gun owner. I thought that you could just go into the store or go online and buy one and carry it without a permit. 2nd amendment and all.

I had NO idea.

I suspect most people who don't own guns are the same. They think it's the wild west out here and they don't know of all the laws and restrictions.

And the media will never tell them.

This is part of the propaganda campaign through the media. You can skew a poll any way you like. But yea - we need to bombard the politicians with letters. We shouldn't have to put up with this attack against us.

This^^^^^^^^. The media is in a full frontal attack and they have been flat out LYING! I just don't understand how a REAL Right could be questioned and repealed without being amended the proper way of 2/3 Congress, 2/3 Senate and 3/4 of the states. Why is this NOT being addressed?

NJ.com has run several of their own polls which overwhelming report the opposite. No mention of this?

Doesn't fit the narrative. What we need are commercials on TV specifically outlining the BS law abiding citizens in NJ have to jump through to exercise our Constitutional RIGHTS.

Doesn't fit the narrative. What we need are commercials on TV specifically outlining the BS law abiding citizens in NJ have to jump through to exercise our Constitutional RIGHTS.

For the love of God this. I can't tell you how many times in the last 2 months I had to explain to people in NJ that AUTOMATIC weapons are restricted, AWB restrictions, mag capacity limits, how the lone NJ gun show is PROHIBITED from selling firearms, and all the legal hoops needed to go through in this state to own a firearm. People are willfully ignorant.

How can the NJ2AS or NJRPC get this message out there to the masses?

To add: the poll that NEEDS to be conducted is a simple quiz of NJ those same NJ citizens on what gun control exists in this state: and report back the fallacy that is the absolute ignorance of the same people calling for more control.

I had lunch with an old friend yesterday who is a hardcore liberal. He is extremely knowledgeable about many subjects, and better informed that most people I know.

At one point our conversation turned to the current gun debate. Of course, he asked me why anyone would need to own an assault weapon. When I explained to him that AR's just look like military rifles, but that they don't spray a hail of bullets with a pull of the trigger, he was incredulous. Not only did he confess that he had no idea that was the case, but he said that he would guess that 95% of people he knows think the same thing. I told him that of course they think that, because that is the message the media are putting out.

I think more people would side with us if they had some idea of what is really going on. How do we get our messaage out

despite a hostile mainstream media?

I had lunch with an old friend yesterday who is a hardcore liberal. He is extremely knowledgeable about many subjects, and better informed that most people I know.

At one point our conversation turned to the current gun debate. Of course, he asked me why anyone would need to own an assault weapon. When I explained to him that AR's just look like military rifles, but that they don't spray a hail of bullets with a pull of the trigger, he was incredulous. Not only did he confess that he had no idea that was the case, but he said that he would guess that 95% of people he knows think the same thing. I told him that of course they think that, because that is the message the media are putting out.

I think more people would side with us if they had some idea of what is really going on. How do we get our messaage out

I think the only ways are word of mouth and by paying for advertising space/time. The news will never voluntarily do it, and certainly plenty of money is donated to the cause on our side. We need to put that money to work.

Encouraging response from my local rep:

Dear James:

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office with your position on

this very important issue.

The tragedy of Newtown and so many others is devastating and hits at the

core of every one.

However, that does not mean that we rush to change laws without thorough

deliberations. Yesterday, Governor Christie announced the creation of a

Task Force to review all public safety laws.

I am waiting for that task force to come out with its reviews before I

commit to any changes to existing laws. I am proud to be a supporter of

our 2nd Amendment rights, and there will need to be a real compelling

argument made to get me to change my stance.

Thank you again for contacting my office, and I look forward to hearing

from you again.

Sincerely,

Senator Kevin J. O'Toole

I called Senator Bucco's office this morning (District 25) and the person that i spoke with said that the Senator feels that there is already sufficient gun legislation, and does not support any of the bills recently submitted in response to the Sandy Hook tragedy's call for more gun restrictions.

I called Senator Bucco's office this morning (District 25) and the person that i spoke with said that the Senator feels that there is already sufficient gun legislation, and does not support any of the bills recently submitted in response to the Sandy Hook tragedy's call for more gun restrictions.

No make sure you take note of how he actually votes and remember that at election time.

Christie has national level political aspirations. He will not sign off on any new gun laws aside from possibly some benign stuff that won't do much harm or good either way. He does not want to be Mitt Romney 2 when he runs. Romney had a track record of policies such as the MA AWB and on a national level conservatives held that against him and didn't support Romney. Christie is a smart man, he knows he can't support "gun control" if he wants a real shot at the White House on a GOP ticket.

I hope so.

assault weapon = automatic firearms

liberal media lie all the time

That's what the perception seems to be among all the uninformed masses. People hear assault weapon and think full auto. It's absolute crap that we should have our rights restricted because people are stupid or too lazy to educate themselves.

And they have zero clue that any of the features that actually define "assault weapon" (which as we all know did not exist in lexicon until the media created it-now they're further erasing the line between assault weapon and assault RIFLE) have absolutely NOTHING to do with the lethality of the firearm-they're simply cosmetic in nature and "look scary".

They also have NO CLUE that the DOJ itself opined that magazine capacity has no causation to the lethality of firearms: criminals will simply load another magazine, or bring more weapons and discard when empty.

It's utterly exhausting how absolutely ignorant people are about what the government and media tells them.

Perhaps we should run ads during American Idol or Honey Boo Boo.

These messages MUST get out by more avenues than word of mouth.

That's what the perception seems to be among all the uninformed masses. People hear assault weapon and think full auto. It's absolute crap that we should have our rights restricted because people are stupid or too lazy to educate themselves.

I've watched Semi-auto Sporters and civilian grade AKs bump firing, and I'm starting to be convinced that it even if you modify them to be similar to their normal select-fire counterparts, they'd still function worse.

It's a travesty how misinformation is used as a weapon.

why would anyone need AR's?

To save lives, and protect one's home

http://www.13wham.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=3914126

assault weapon = any weapon used to assault... hammer, car, kitchen knife, rope, saw, baseball bat, musket, 2 x 4, hands, feet, belt, etc

the record must be set straight, "assault weapon" is a bs term dreamt up by the anti's to give a voodoo evil name to 100 year old technology.

They also have NO CLUE that the DOJ itself opined that magazine capacity has no causation to the lethality of firearms: criminals will simply load another magazine, or bring more weapons and discard when empty.

case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfXuNJxWw88&feature=player_detailpage#t=25s

which tells us the elected officials DO have a clue and this has NOTHING to do with saving lives and everything to do with disarming Americans.

Before I became a NJ gun owner. I thought that you could just go into the store or go online and buy one and carry it without a permit. 2nd amendment and all.

I had NO idea.

I suspect most people who don't own guns are the same. They think it's the wild west out here and they don't know of all the laws and restrictions.

This is my story as well. I went in blind to buy a pellet gun to get rid of a groundhog. My life has changed drastically since and now we're in the fight together. Even the most well educated, conservative members of my family and inner circle of friends have no idea what's involved in obtaining an FPID or P2P let alone what's currently banned here in NJ.

I had NO idea.

I am still in shock that you need a permit for sling-shots.... SLING-SHOTS!!! We all had them when I was a kid.