RubberBullets

*Accidental* GSW at Monmouth County Rifle and Pistol

Another article: http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2013/01/treasury_department_special_agent_accidentally_shoots_himself_in_training_authorities_say.html

A state Department of Treasury agent accidently shot himself during training Thursday, authorities said.

HOWELL – A state Department of Treasury special agent trainee was taken to the hospital after he accidently shot himself at a firing range in Howell Thursday, officials said.

Steven Raimondo was participating in a firearms familiarization drill at the Monmouth County Fire Academy’s outdoor firing range when he went to re-holster his weapon and it accidently discharged, striking him in the foot, according to the sheriff’s office and state Department of Treasury. An EMT on the scene responded and he was taken to Jersey Shore University Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.

Raimondo is a special agent in training in the office of criminal investigations, which is the part of the Division of Taxation at the state Department of Treasury, said spokesman Bill Quinn. He said special agents carry weapons and have arrest powers, and are responsible for investigating cases including criminal tax fraud, tax evasion and smuggling.

Quinn said Raimondo is expected to make a full recovery and be able to return to work.

Howell police did not return a call Thursday afternoon.

The Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office and Howell police are investigating.

I have a serpa holster that i wear at my store and I just dont understand all the flak about the holsters

I had a serpa for my Ruger P95 before I sold the whole kit to get into 1911's. I loved the serpa, thinking about getting one for my 1911. The problem was user error. Knuckle heads would depress the release button with the tip of their fingers and leave their finger there, draw the weapon and as they present, the finger would be in the trigger guard and on the trigger by default.

If they were properly trained, they would instead push the release button with the pad of their fully extended trigger finger, draw the weapon and the finger would be across the slide as they present.

What I didnt like about the serpa was how far that thing stuck out, even with the use of the paddle. Damn thing would always catch on the seat belt of my car and truck.

The really sad thing is, I have WAY MORE range time than most of the LEOs in the tri state area. Reloading and being a member of a private club helps :D

most cops I know show very little knowledge of their firearms and are even worse shots than my 6 yr old.....sad but true

I prefer the term Negligent Discharge if it's due to shooter error. Accidental if it's a malfunction of the gun.

In any case, I hope the guy/gal is OK.

Very much this. The chance for an ND is very much increased when drawing from a holster vs. picking up a firearm from a bench.

most cops I know show very little knowledge of their firearms and are even worse shots than my 6 yr old.....sad but true

Well, especially out in your area, recruits arent necessarily pulled from gun culture stock. And many dont become LEO because of a love of shooting, so I cant fault them, it is what it is. But if the politicians hold them out as being "experts" etc as they do in the media, then I think they should be made to spend more time on the range instead of just for qualification. The Empire State Building shooting really bares this out. Add to that the really liberally stupid NY trigger, hell just make the police wear mittens while their at it.

Id wager if you asked them to recite the rules of gun safety, you'd get blank blinking stares....

Well, especially out in your area, recruits arent necessarily pulled from gun culture stock. And many dont become LEO because of a love of shooting, so I cant fault them, it is what it is. But if the politicians hold them out as being "experts" etc as they do in the media, then I think they should be made to spend more time on the range instead of just for qualification. The Empire State Building shooting really bares this out. Add to that the really liberally stupid NY trigger, hell just make the police wear mittens while their at it.

Id wager if you asked them to recite the rules of gun safety, you'd get blank blinking stares....

This. Why does everyone in the media think every police officer is automatically an expert on everything firearms related? I hate how the anti's always say "If a cop can shoot himself then you can't possibly be trusted to handle a gun!"

Perhaps Brick cop? I think their safety manual instructs then to: rack the slide, drop the mag, pull the trigger and call 911. LOL. So far I think three of them have shot themselves in the leg trying to clean their Glocks.

Where have you gotten your info from??? Never heard of 3.