Howard

Glock 17 vs Glock 19 - which should I get?

I am new here and looking to buy a 9mm for home defense and target shooting. Went to the range the other day and tried out the Glock 17 and was quite pleased with it. I am looking for comments regarding the merits of this versus the smaller Glock 19. Since I am not looking to carry, the larger size is not an issue and I assume the larger 17 would also be more accurate. Comments appreciated.

Base it on your hand size. Don't just go on specs. I have small hands, and assumed that the 19 would suit me better, but th full size frame of the 17 is actually more comfortable for me. Try both out in proper shooting grips and take your time determining which one feels better.

Accuracy based on real-world handgun use are negligible. If you're a world-class pistol shooter, then yes, the longer barrel of the 17 wil give you an advantage. The rest of us? Performance is similar.

Live in Jersey?

17=17 rounds standard with a 10 round optional

19=15 rounds standard

So, if you live in Jersey, and not a LEO then the 19 offers higher capacity.

The 19 is also very easy to shoot well.

He can get the 17 rounds pinned to 15. We have a vendor or two on here that will do that.

I was actually in the same boat. There really isn't an advantage IMO of one over the other as far as functionality goes. Go with what feels best in your hand. The only draw back is that you only get 10 round magazines with the 17 but as somone said earlier, you can get a 17 round magazine pinned back to 15.

I have owned both, 3 times each, and if you are not going to carry it I would recommend the 17. Holds more rounds and longer everything. Good for HD, range and even competition. The 19 is just a scaled down 17 so why get it? I carried the 19 for a while but it was too heavy and thick for comfortable carry so I sold it, then bought another, sold it and bought another and sold it again. I wanted to love it but I just could not and ended up with an HK P2000SK which is midway between the 26 and 19 in size and takes a 10 round mag or the 13 rounder with an X-Grip. I used my 17's for range, competition and home defense. Put a light on it and a Burris red dot very easily. If I had to choose a gun to take into combat it would be the Glock 17. I like 9mm and I like a full sized gun when I do not have to worry about concealing it.

Edit: I forgot you live in NJ and have magazine restrictions. However, if you can get pinned magazines then I would still go with the 17. Just buy enough magazines now so that if they limit you to 10, you will have enough. I have bought enough hi caps to last me the rest of my life I would not be worrying about NJ's 15 round limit. I would worry about a federal 10 round limit instead. I have a feeling that Congress will compromise on just a magazine capacity ban as a better argument can be made for banning them rather than what the weapon looks like and in effect, limiting the magazines to 10 rounds also limits the rifles capabilities. Plus it will not have the same economic impact as banning a lot of popular rifles would.

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes I am in NJ (Morris County) so the 15 limit does apply. Guess I will give the 19 a try next time at the range. The 17 was comfortable, but I did not have anything to compare it too. Have not shot anything else but a .22 rifle.

Lots of people say the 19 is superior to the 17 based on balance and size to weight and whatnot. I preferred the 17 over the 19 but preferred the M&P9 to either Glock so I bought the M&P9. S&W makes a 15 round magazine for the M&P9.

Extra magazines are hard to come by for any of these pistols these days. if you live in NJ andiIf it has to be a Glock I'd get the 19 unless you had a very strong preference to the 17.

After using the 17 but once I can't say I have a strong preference as it is the only handgun I have ever even held. But I have done a fair amount of research on the net and think I would like to have a Glock. As I stated at the intro I was thinking the bigger one might be more accurate, but what I hear you and others telling me is there is not much difference. I guess I'll give the 19 a try and then have a basis for comparison.

Thanks Kotkot, actually I was thinking about making the G22 or G23 my second purchase. Purchase number three would probably be an Advantage Arms .22 cal slide to use at the range for some lower cost practice.

I have 19, 23, 22, 34 and 21... Love them all. 19 is my favorite but for some reason I am better with G22 :)

And G21 SF is phenomenal!

Best thing is all of them are 100% reliable. Never had a single issue.

what kotkot said! I also have a 17, 19 and 26. 21 is next on my list to purchase.. I like the 19 best...Its a bad habit this gun thing....

You cannot go wrong with a Glock 19. If you want a Glock 17, you might as well get the target model, unless you are a big guy and could conceal the G17 easy enough if you had to.

Glock 23 w/ 9mm conversion barrel and mags and Glock 22 magazines might be a nice option.

So if I get this correctly asking about what is better between the 17 and 19 is sort of like asking what is better a Ford or GMC truck :)

I'm going to go give the 19 a try either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Patriot Oak - Is the conversion barrel reliable? Which one would you suggest? Are their any downsides to doing that?

As I mentioned I had hoped to get the Advantage Arms .22 cal slide but in checking online at Glockstore.com they seem to indicate that the backorder on these things is now over 12 months so I guess that option is out the window. What .22 cal semi would you guys suggest as one to use at the range for practice that would be somewhat similar in feel to a Glock?

I had thought about the AA kit too then ended up buying an M&P22. Almost same feel as the 19 except the trigger and manual safety, and cost of ammo.

What made you go with the M&P rather than the AA kit?

Well I went to the range today to try the G17, but unfortunately it was in use. So, I tried out the .40 cal G22. I was surprised that it was really no harder to handle than the 9mm. I actually shot much more accurately with it than I had done with the G17 - but that might have been me not the weapon as this was only my second time shooting. I did feel that the grip was a little large for me, but unfortunately they don't have a G23 to rent at RTSP :( I think they have a G19 so perhaps I should give that a try for size. These are all Gen3, but I took a look at the new (for sale) Gen4 Glocks and I sure like the grip on them better.