Dan

Personal Defense Weapon - DHS

So when the government wants to purchase 7,000 FULLY-automatic 5.56 caliber rifles for DHS/ICE, they call them PDW's. (Personal Defense Weapons).

"5.56x45mm NATO, select-fire firearm suitable for personal defense"

When a civilian US citizen wants to purchase a SEMI-automatic 5.56 caliber rifle for self defense, they like to call them "assault weapons" only meant for war, battlefields, and killing as many people as possible.

The hypocrisy is disgusting and shameful.

DHS's bid : https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=d791b6aa0fd9d3d8833b2efa08300033&tab=core&tabmode=list&=

all manufacturers should do like barrett did, if you want my item to be illegal to citizens then you cant buy one either.

Only problem is, if all the manufacturers here did that, one like HK that doesn't give a damn about civilians would be happy to take the contracts.

...Isn't a PDW actually a compact, select-fire weapon that fires ammo such as 5.7mm, 4.6mm, or other ammo similar in bullet shape to a rifle, but with a shorter case than an intermediate rifle cartridge?

I guess I learned all my firearm classifications for nothing.

...Isn't a PDW actually a compact, select-fire weapon that fires ammo such as 5.7mm, 4.6mm, or other ammo similar in bullet shape to a rifle, but with a shorter case than an intermediate rifle cartridge?

I guess I learned all my firearm classifications for nothing.

A PDW is a compact weapon that is easily hidden on the person. Can be chambered in just about anything. Needs to have a range of 100 or so yards. Think 10.5" AR, Krinkov, UZI, MP5, and similar. Can even be a pistol.

The all-knowing :onthequiet: Wikipedia says a PDW fires a rifle cartridge, often proprietary, which distinguishes it from a submachine gun like the Uzi, MP5 that you mentioned.

EDIT: seems like semantics. If the cartridge has to penetrate body armor then the typical subgun ammo just won't do it, hence 5.7, 4.6 or 5.56

Regardless of the type of ammo, a full auto gun in the hands of the govt is a "defensive" weapon. In the hands of civilians, it is a pure offensive killing machine, aka "assault rifle".

That there is a double standard, and I don't like our govt playing shenanigans like that.

Who wants assault weapons these days, anyway? Government is always trying to take those away from people... They usually do say they support owning weapons for personal defense, so I'd like a PDW or two.

I'd settle for owning an MP5K PDW...or even an MP5K...or P90... or....

I better stop before I get carried away... By some three-letter agency.

Regardless of the type of ammo, a full auto gun in the hands of the govt is a "defensive" weapon. In the hands of civilians, it is a pure offensive killing machine, aka "assault rifle".

That there is a double standard, and I don't like our govt playing shenanigans like that.

Agreed

Tell them we are 12 trillion in debt and they cant have them. Problem solved

12 trillion, guess again... http://www.usdebtclock.org/