zoid

Having gun on your patio?

Now that I've thought it over I probably will just NOT do this. But I was considering cleaning my

guns out on my patio since some of the solvents I use have a very strong smell that take a long

time to air out.

My concern was that a neighbor would see and call the cops. I don't think that would be considered

having a firearm out in public though since technically it is still my property right?

Probably not worth the risk but just thought I'd ask.

Now that I've thought it over I probably will just NOT do this. But I was considering cleaning my

guns out on my patio since some of the solvents I use have a very strong smell that take a long

time to air out.

My concern was that a neighbor would see and call the cops. I don't think that would be considered

having a firearm out in public though since technically it is still my property right?

Probably not worth the risk but just thought I'd ask.

Do it all the time, except for winter.

IMO, all depends on where you live, your neighbors, and how comfortable you are. I also think the state you live in has something to do with it (more so what your neighbors think about guns). Example, I'm sure people feel more comfortable leaning a gun outside on their deck in Texas than they would here. Buard and neighbors can see into it so

I have a PITA neighbor who loves calling the cops on fireworks, revving motorcycles, bonfires, etc. So for me, it's outta the question. I've thought about it but it's just not worth the hassle. But if I lived in an area where no neighbors could see me on my patio/deck, I'd definitely do it. But I don't have too much backyard and neighbors can see into it.

If I were you and you decided not to do it outside, I'd switch solvents. I liked Hoppes but it was so stinky and gave me a headache so I switched to Mpro and never looked back. Works well and doesn't really have a smell to it.

Is the patio your property, or common area, in something like a condo?

If it's your property, you are withen the law to clean outside. I do it all the time.

Can your neighbor call the cops? Sure. You might want to let them know, if you are social, that you are cleaning your gun, so they don't freak out. Or not.

Just don't be stupid and wave the damn thing around or point it at anyone.

If it's on your property, I don't see the problem. But if your neighbors are the types to harass you like that, why cause trouble. Just use Breakfree. And move.

Nah.... take to cleaning your guns ALL the time on your patio, and carrying them around your property as well!! Make THEM move.

Since you know that your actions would be within the law, and reasonable due to awful smell of Hoppe's, why not? There is being courteous, and then there is being timid. If we are afraid to exercise what few firearms rights we have in this state, then we are sure to be in for worse in the future. I am hoping this post did not come off as an attack. It was not intended as one.

There is being courteous, and then there is being timid.

Amen.

When we first started down this road my son wanted me to shut the blinds so people couldn't look in and see us inspecting the 2 rifles we just bought.

I used to ride my bike to my friends house with my BB gun, and now this. How did we get so far away from common sense in such a short time.

I do it outside all the time. Sometimes on the front porch, and I aint kiddin. Neighbors wave when they drive by, nobody cares when you live in the country. But if you live in the "urbanized" areas, although legal i am not sure it is worth the hastle.

Amen.

When we first started down this road my son wanted me to shut the blinds so people couldn't look in and see us inspecting the 2 rifles we just bought.

I used to ride my bike to my friends house with my BB gun, and now this. How did we get so far away from common sense in such a short time.

Same here with the BB gun as a kid... now I sneak my guns out by backing my SUV up to the garage and loading them through there after I make sure no neighbors can see me. Its totally legal to go clean your guns on your patio, but might have your neighbors looking at you strange or even complaining to the cops. Sux...

From what I understand you're free to open and/or concealed carry on your own property in NJ. It's the minute you step off your land that things change. Anyway you should legally be within your rights to clean away on your patio, but as has been stated above consider who your neighbors are.

for the love of god, WHY does it MATTER what your neighbors do?

I have a townhouse and just do it in the garage (when wife isnt home to make a fuss). Waiting for that one day a neighbor walks by and sees me cleaning my firearm and freaks... All though I don't think they know what it is when it's all disassembled. :)

Lol. If its not an apartment.. meaning you Own your property go nuts!! If you wave to the neighbors while doing it with a smile you might help dispel the fear in them. Unless you want them afraid then you talk to it while cleaning. Call the gun her its more of an impact

I have one of those neighbors to the immediate right of me who is anti. They are surrounded by gun owners on all sides. Every single one of us cleans our weapons outside in full view. Has he called the cops on any of us for doing this? Sure. But I think it is sooooooo worth the hastle when he sees the cops show up, shake our hands and even check the weapons out with apporval before leaving us to continue doing what we were doing.

Lol. If its not an apartment.. meaning you Own your property go nuts!! If you wave to the neighbors while doing it with a smile you might help dispel the fear in them. Unless you want them afraid then you talk to it while cleaning. Call the gun her its more of an impact

If it's an exclusive use area that you have in your apartment like a balcony or patio, that is considered your home.

I wouldn't do it in urban or most suburban areas unless I had direct knowledge my neighbors on either side of my house were not anti gun or safety Sally's. Which reminds me to plant some bamboo or tall evergeeens on either side of my house

Are you worried about them stealing your guns? If so, I understand your comment (and think you should move ASAP). If not, I think you are contributing to the problem. Part of the reason suburban Jerseyans are so anti-gun is because they are not exposed to them in any context except the tv news talking about drime. Having these folks see their neighbors own and use guns lawfully, and seeing that they are as good or better people than the rest of their neighbors, would do them some good and help our cause. If they are not completely close minded, it will help expand their views. In the short term, you might have a talk with your neighborhood police when they get an anonymous call, but most of their rank-and-file are pro-gun. It's the political types like the chiefs that aren't.