Underdog

Wife gun... Choice Narrowed Down

We have checked out a number of guns in 9mm for my wife's first handgun:

Ruger GP100 (.357), Ruger Service Six (.357), Beretta 92, Beretta 92 Compact, Beretta PX4, Glock 19, Glock 17, SA XDM Compact, SIG SP2022, SIG 229, Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C S&W M&P 9, S&W M&P 9C, H&K, Walther PPQ....

She did not want a revolver, which I suggested. Next, I suggested a Glock, and she didn't want one of those. Instead, she wanted a Beretta largely due to its use in a couple of military books she read and because she likes the looks, its history, etc. However, it just doesn't fit her hand well enough. She seems to like the idea of a safety and DA/SA. She didn't like the XDM and its grip safety. She didn't like the SIGs because of the lack of a safety but they felt pretty good in her hand. The fact that they have a decocker didn't matter to her, either. The Ruger SR felt OK, but she liked the PX4 feel, better. She thought the Walther was ugly. She did like the weight of the SIG 229, though, but again, the price and the lack of safety...

I suggested she really consider a S&W M&P full size, and maybe one with a thumb safety could be found, as they probably aren't that popular. She is still coming back to the Beretta PX4. I have suggested that since she likes the weight and an all-metal gun, that maybe a Stoeger Cougar 8000 or 8000 Compact might be good for her as well. Or, maybe we can find a used Beretta Cougar. She was interested and would like to try one, but she was a little reserved and still went back to the PX4.

So, after all that, I think she is leaning toward a PX4 Compact. I can only seem to find one locally in .40S&W. Since she wants a Beretta 92, I wish we could find a Vertec model with the smaller 1911-style grip. I'm really not sure why Beretta would have discontinued these, unless there was a mechanical issue, as I think they would be more popular than the larger Beretta grip.

So, now I have to find a PX4 Compact... in 9mm and some magazines. If anybody has a strong opinion about this gun... ability to find night sights, magazines, etc., or has a reason to get the full-size, instead, please advise. I like the Compact because it takes 15-round magazines. The full-size Stoeger does as well. Please provide opinions on the Stoeger or the Stoeger 9mm compact as well. Will the Stoeger share the same magazines as the older Beretta Cougar?

I guess, now its time to try shooting them.

I picked up the compact PX4 9mm a few months ago and am very happy with it. Several hundred rounds through and there has not been one single problem. The rotating barrel makes for light recoil and it is every bit as accurate as my 92FS. It comes with three different backstraps so she can pick the one that feels best for her hand. Mags are more expensive than the 92FS and have been harder to find but they are out there. I would not let that discourage you. I personally think it is a well made gun and it would be a great choice. I would also suggest picking this up if you go with PX4: http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Rubber-Grip-Handall-Sleeve/dp/B0014VRS22/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_1

Hard to beat a CZ75b or SP01. Great guns for the money and many variants to choose from.

Have you thought about the CZ75 in one of its various forms? I love both the CZ75B and my CZ75D PCR. If she likes full size steel with safety and double/single, you can't go wrong. Just a thought.

Your wife came back to the Sig twice and you commented how well it "fit". Maybe I can assuage her fears about the lack of a manual safety. When SOCOM solicited for bids, back about 2005-2006, one of the specifications for the pistol was that it was to have a manual safety. Of the guns submitted, only the Sig P220 was exempt from the manual safety specification. It was exempt because Sig's classic P series - which, of course, includes the P229 - has four "built-in" safeties. They are: 1) Firing-pin safety block; 2) Safety intercept notch; 3) Trigger bar disconnector; 4) Decocker. She seems to put great store in what the government has found acceptable, so maybe this will help move her off the "safety" dime.

Now to complicate you life a little further - instead of the P229, maybe she would like the P228 a little better. Lighter, with better balance than the P229, and since you are looking at 9 mm anyway, you may find the P228 more to her liking. Size and appearance are identical to the P229 - the difference in weight and balance are the result of the slides on the two guns. The P228 uses a carbon steel fabricated slide (known as a "folded slide" among Sig aficionados). The P229 uses a monolithic stainless steel slide. The P229 came into being, with the monolithic slide, so it could handle the higher intensity cartridges the P229 is chambered for (.40 S&W and .357 Sig). The P228 may be a little harder to find, but it may be worth your while. If you can't find any locally, the Sig Forum classifieds are a good place to look - but that doesn't afford you the chance to try before you buy. Maybe someone on the forum has a P228 you could try.

I don't know if this helps or hinders, but good luck with whatever you/she decides.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Your wife came back to the Sig twice and you commented how well it "fit". Maybe I can assuage her fears about the lack of a manual safety. When SOCOM solicited for bids, back about 2005-2006, one of the specifications for the pistol was that it was to have a manual safety. Of the guns submitted, only the Sig P220 was exempt from the manual safety specification. It was exempt because Sig's classic P series - which, of course, includes the P229 - has four "built-in" safeties. They are: 1) Firing-pin safety block; 2) Safety intercept notch; 3) Trigger bar disconnector; 4) Decocker. She seems to put great store in what the government has found acceptable, so maybe this will help move her off the "safety" dime.

Now to complicate you life a little further - instead of the P229, maybe she would like the P228 a little better. Lighter, with better balance than the P229, and since you are looking at 9 mm anyway, you may find the P228 more to her liking. Size and appearance are identical to the P229 - the difference in weight and balance are the result of the slides on the two guns. The P228 uses a carbon steel fabricated slide (known as a "folded slide" among Sig aficionados). The P229 uses a monolithic stainless steel slide. The P229 came into being, with the monolithic slide, so it could handle the higher intensity cartridges the P229 is chambered for (.40 S&W and .357 Sig). The P228 may be a little harder to find, but it may be worth your while. If you can't find any locally, the Sig Forum classifieds are a good place to look - but that doesn't afford you the chance to try before you buy. Maybe someone on the forum has a P228 you could try.

I don't know if this helps or hinders, but good luck with whatever you/she decides.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You sold me on the 228! If one comes up in our travels, I will certainly suggest she entertain it. Thanks!

Hard to beat a CZ75b or SP01. Great guns for the money and many variants to choose from.

Believe it or not, I am selling an awesome CZ 75B SA to fund her purchase. She did not like it. Imagine that!

Funny I was in the same exact position for the Wife. I have A Sig SP2022 in 9mm. Which she shoots, So I was going to get A SP2022 in .40 UNTILL she saw the PX4 Compact. So Yes there is A new Beretta PX4 sitting in the LGS awaiting OGAM to clear and I will pick it up for her.

There is a px4 compact SPF to me from a forum member. If you want it, you can have it. Comes with 4 mags. I can put you in touch.

Also, my GF decided on Sig 229 E2. Very different from other sigs. Hackettstown had 1 more. It is well built to fit a smaller hand. Again this is an E2 NOT an enhanced elite or anything currently available. Only made 2010 and 2011.

PM me for info on the PX4 or if your wife would like to try out the Sig.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sig 229 E2. Very different from other sigs. Hackettstown had 1 more. It is well built to fit a smaller hand. Again this is an E2 NOT an enhanced elite or anything currently available. Only made 2010 and 2011.

FYI: All regular P229's now come in the E2 configuration

Can't really make any suggestions, other than the fact that I would strongly suggest she shoot the Px4 compact if she's really interested in it. I know a few of my gf's don't like shooting compact pistols due to their increased recoil. Just a thought.

Yes, I think that is the next step. The good thing is that the Beretta PX4 compact is only slightly smaller than the full-size. The Subcompact wouldn't be a nogo.

Don't believe this to be true. They all come with the e2 grip, but the SRT and reduced reach trigger are not on all 229s, as far as I know.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, I was speaking only about the grip

MrsWombat has the Sig P228 as her go-to firearm. It is good, reliable and fits well in her hand so I'd say it is definitely worth investigating. You can also get many different types of grip textures depending on how 'grippy' she wants it to be.

Unless your wife does a lot of training with a firearm I would suggest that you do NOT want to have a manual safety. In my experience from being a student on many GFH classes the students with manual safeties often forget to take them of when they go to shoot. You definitely don't want that to happen in a personal defense situation assuming that is one of the reasons for having the firearm.

hth

TheWombat

MrsWombat has the Sig P228 as her go-to firearm. It is good, reliable and fits well in her hand so I'd say it is definitely worth investigating. You can also get many different types of grip textures depending on how 'grippy' she wants it to be.

Unless your wife does a lot of training with a firearm I would suggest that you do NOT want to have a manual safety. In my experience from being a student on many GFH classes the students with manual safeties often forget to take them of when they go to shoot. You definitely don't want that to happen in a personal defense situation assuming that is one of the reasons for having the firearm.

hth

TheWombat

How much different is a SIG P226? I like SIGs, gut two Glocks in the hand are better than one SIG on consignment in my book. However, The Glock is NOT in the running for her.

I have a P226, my wife has the P228. The P226 is a bit longer, taller and has a rail. I compete with my P226 although prefer the P228. It is like comparing the G17 to the G19.

Only possible downside of the P228 is no rail, which may be less ideal for home defense where you may want to have a weapon mounted light - in which case the P229 becomes an option.

Regards

TheWombat

Sent using Tapatalk

Only possible downside of the P228 is no rail, which may be less ideal for home defense where you may want to have a weapon mounted light - in which case the P229 becomes an option.

Not all 228's are "railess". The newest production 228's have a rail. Likewise, not all 229's have a rail - mine for instance, is an older one with no rail...

r88s8y.jpg

In Sig parlance, the P226 is "full size" while the P228/P229 are "compacts".

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Px4 are good guns. Best if she can shoot it. She may like light weight now...... But prefer full size for recoil or how they shoot. Anastasia's favorite are the 1911 9mm and the baby eagle 45. Both all metal.

Shoot them before you buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

She has decided on either a Beretta PX4 compact or a Stoeger Cougar.

Take a look at the Beretta Cougars (Stoeger Cougars are built on the machinery Beretta didn't need any more when they stopped making them). You can still get them NIB on GunBroker for a good price.

I know i'm late to the game, and your criteria was a 9mm, But if she likes the look and feel of the 92 maybe she should look at the Beretta Cheetah 85FS. It may be a .380 but it should fit her hand better and have less recoil. But if it a 9mm she is looking for you might want to look at the Bersa Ultra Compact 9mm. My 21 year old daughter shoots a Walther PK380 which she loves and fits her small hands well, but she also likes to shoot the Bersa.

Ha! Was going to say get her first the 38 in pink which my GF wants more than anything then was just going to say get something in pink, beat me to the punch!, The 229 is pricey but a great gun! I think if your really looking for something reliable, a defense weapon, then go with a glock, they have a lot of compact models to full size and normally fit everyones hand, in any case get her a Bersa or something that fires a 22, my GF had no idea what she was shooting and as much as I hate to admit it she's a great shot! but caliber doesnt matter if its for fun so go small and easy, if its for defense and price go to Glock! Good Luck!

women... can't ever make up their mind... ;)

game changer:

post-5794-0-53072700-1361665144_thumb.jpg

My wife loves her Sig P250 compact, 9mm. You can completely change the handle size (SM, Med or Lg), go full size, compact or sub compact and even change caliber because it's a modular gun. Very easy to take out the trigger and firing mechanism. It is DAO and does have a longer trigger pull than I am used to but she loves it...

I ordered an extra handle in size small (comes with a medium size) and she likes the 9mm vs my other .40's.

Here is a video showing how you can everything easily.