Sign in to follow this  
voyager9

Jackson's replacement in Chicago easily wins on Anti-gun platform

Not NJ related, but we talked about her pro-2A competitor in an earlier thread. Appears Bloomtwat's PAC really influenced the election.

Kelly easily wins Democratic race to replace Jackson Jr. in Congress

Former state Rep. Robin Kelly easily won the special Democratic primary Tuesday night in the race to replace the disgraced Jesse Jackson Jr. in Congress, helped by millions of dollars in pro-gun control ads from New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's political fund

Kelly framed her win as a victory for gun control forces.

"You sent a message that was heard around our state and across the nation," Kelly told supporters in a Matteson hotel ballroom. "A message that tells the NRA that their days of holding our country hostage are coming to an end.

"To every leader in the fight for gun control ready to work with President (Barack) Obama and Mayor (Rahm) Emanuel to stop this senseless violence, thank you for your leadership and thank you for your courage," she said.

Halvorson told supporters to rally around Kelly as the Democratic nominee. But Halvorson also made it clear she believed her biggest opponent was the mayor of New York, whose anti-gun super political action committee spent more than $2.2 million attacking her previous support from the National Rifle Association while backing Kelly.

"We all know how rough it was for me to have to run an election against someone who spent ($2.2) million against me," Halvorson said at Homewood restaurant. "Every 71/2 minutes there was a commercial."

Bloomberg's Independence USA PAC was the largest campaign interest in the race and dominated the Chicago broadcast TV airwaves compared to a marginal buy by one minor candidate.

Former state Rep. Robin Kelly easily won the special Democratic primary Tuesday night in the race to replace the disgraced Jesse Jackson Jr. in Congress, helped by millions of dollars in pro-gun control ads from New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's political fund. - See more at: http://www.chicagotr...h.2SCKp8CT.dpuf

Not a loss really or a win. Jackson wasn't exactly friendly to the 2a movement, so it's a wash.

True.. but after watching Halvorson's interview there was some hope.. the bigger issue to me is how much Bloomberg's PAC got involved and influenced the whole thing..

"We all know how rough it was for me to have to run an election against someone who spent ($2.2) million against me," Halvorson said at Homewood restaurant. "Every 71/2 minutes there was a commercial."

Obama's "PAC" (not sure that's the right word) and the media machine that helped get him reelected is also trying to influence the debate on gun control.. these two groups could play a big part in swaying public opinion.

he she could have won by simply saying no guns and free shit for everyone.

FWIW

And the Super PAC that kicked in the $2.2M, as I understand it, was Bloomie's not Obama's (although I'm sure there were more than one funding this). Good to see he's atill at it sticking his nose in other states' business.

Funny how the antis get all up in arms if a wealth conservative donor or the NRA tries to influence the process, but when it's someone on their own side, they don't care.

I wonder how much of this is Bloomberg's own money. I'm surprised it's legal for a public servant to spend tons of his money to affect the political process.

Bingo!

So the same guy who has a HUGE influence over what people hear/see on the "news" is the same guy buying elections for anyone who'll push his anti-gun, anti-self reliance platform?

Don't drink soda, it's bad for you

Lets just ban it!

Guns are scary

Lets just ban it!

Who's really holding this country hostage?

FWIW

And the Super PAC that kicked in the $2.2M, as I understand it, was Bloomie's not Obama's (although I'm sure there were more than one funding this). Good to see he's atill at it sticking his nose in other states' business.

The silver lining is that Bloomie burned $2.2M to defeat a candidate who shouldn't have cost him $0.01.

As I read Wikipedia, she was swept into congress in 2008 in the Obama Illinois landslide and has not been an awfully strong candidate in other elections. http://en.wikipedia....ebbie_Halvorson

Bloomie's time is limited. Before you know it, but not before he does some major damage, he'll be gone and plenty of time to spend with his pet gerbil famunda.

But chances are he will leave a large endowment behind for some anti-gun organization to continue to screw with people's rights long after he's gone just like the Joyce Foundation does.