Hi All, I just signed up and hope to be a regular here now that I've found this place!

I have two questions regarding boats and guns since I can not find solid information anywhere on the NJSP site, in legislation, on the USCG sites or NJFW as it applies to the following scenario(s).

1. I have a 34ft cruiser. We stay on the boat every weekend in the summer time starting Thursday or Friday night and staying until Sunday late afternoon. Am I allowed to take my shotgun and ammo with me to the boat, go clay shooting on Saturday, bring it back on board and keep it there till we leave Sunday? As *I* see interpret, our boat is a second residence for us that we use on the weekends. When we leave the boat, say to go to the pool in the marina, we lock the door and the gun will of course be stored in a case and the ammo seperatly in a case.

2. Am I allowed to #1 take my gun, steel target shot, and pigeons and go into Barnegat Bay, away from other boats (200-500yrds) and shoot pigeons and/or #2 go 3 miles offshore into internation waters and do same.

If anyone is an expert in this area, ESPECIALLY from one of the agencies listed above, please give me your oppinion. I would obviously have my NJFID card, drivers license, and documentation that I own the gun on board at all times when the gun is there and/or in use.

As a note - there is some documentation in the NJFW digests for hunting, as well as target shooting in protected WMA's, but I see nothing as it would relate to the Bay, nor to the Ocean anywhere.

Thanks in advance - i simply want to comply with the insane laws of our state and not have any trouble if I bring others out with me especially.

I seriously think there would be a problem on B Bay discharging a 12 ga in the summer. I could see the NJSP. Marine unit making a run to Tices shoal for shots fired!

We duck hunt in the bay at Mystic without any problem. Never been looked at, just lucky I guess. Of course that's in cold weather, and yea might be different in the summer. There are signs posted on the creeks on the Mystic side that inform you that you are entering a hunting area. Plenty of places in the back of Great bay that are out of the way. Ask local law enforcement.

duck hunting is boats and guns

We duck hunt in the bay at Mystic without any problem. Never been looked at, just lucky I guess. Of course that's in cold weather, and yea might be different in the summer. There are signs posted on the creeks on the Mystic side that inform you that you are entering a hunting area. Plenty of places in the back of Great bay that are out of the way. Ask local law enforcement.

But is also "no lead" anymore. I would think you could get screwed firing lead into the bay now...

We did this 20 years ago no problem . 3 to 5 miles off shore , but noise travels and if another boat is near you and a call goes in ----- better look up in the sky for those helicopters or a cutter coming your way ! I would check before doing this in these times we have today .

I've done this in the ocean while shark fishing, I own a marina at the nothern end of B. Bay and I would NEVER discharge in the bay, but thats just me.. In the ocean, no one around, no problem, but the staties will be all over you in a second in the summer

What is the best thing to 'say' to the staties if they do come by and it's obvious that there is no one else around? This IS legal 3 miles out, yes? Or do I need to go further?

Also, what about question #1? Does my boat, that we esentially use as a home for the 3 days each week act the same as my house in regards to guns? i.e. as long as they are stored properly and locked, I am allow to have them onboard? The main reason I asked that question is because there is a range that does trap/skeet/sporting clays on Rt72 about 15 min from the boat and I'd like to hit it up thursday or saturday. We live in Southampton, so it will be nice to have a range close to the boat to go to with the guys from the marina while the women go shopping etc on saturdays if we aren't all hanging out at the dock....

Staties have no jurisdiction 3 miles out. That is federal water and is coast guard territory.

Unless they are cross designated as Customs Officers then different rules apply. You can be considered a hovering vessel 3-12 miles out.

What is the best thing to 'say' to the staties if they do come by and it's obvious that there is no one else around? This IS legal 3 miles out, yes? Or do I need to go further?

Also, what about question #1? Does my boat, that we esentially use as a home for the 3 days each week act the same as my house in regards to guns? i.e. as long as they are stored properly and locked, I am allow to have them onboard? The main reason I asked that question is because there is a range that does trap/skeet/sporting clays on Rt72 about 15 min from the boat and I'd like to hit it up thursday or saturday. We live in Southampton, so it will be nice to have a range close to the boat to go to with the guys from the marina while the women go shopping etc on saturdays if we aren't all hanging out at the dock....

You should also check with your marina to make sure they don't have any No Firearms rules in their slip agreement/contract since you are renting from them, on their property. Don't be stupid with it and you should be fine. I've got a few customers at my place that i know have weapons on board. We also one with a legit CCW.

My other thought about the bay area is, depending on what town your are actually in at the time, wouldn't the same no discharge rules apply as if you were on land in the town. I've never seen waterways exempted from the discharge laws..

I've never knew anyone to ever have any issues with a long gun on board a boat. I've been boarded by the CG with shotguns on board and it's never been an issue..

There are a lot more boats with guns then you might think.

Carried them for 20 years, a mini, 9mm and a 12.

We would occasionally do so some target shooting off shore, but using a rifle requires some diligence with the radar.

As far as the NJSP not haivng jurisdiction past 3 miles - that may be true but you will be within 3 miles when you return to port.

The USCG out to 12 - but they may go farther.

At least with the NJSP you have a chance of someone with some knowledge when you get stopped.

Of the well over 1000 trips I have made, I have only been boarded twice and firearms never came into the questions.

Although, USCG with guns makes me nervous.

I'm thinking duck hunting during duck season is a little different than shooting clay pigeons in the middle of the bay in the summer.

shooting clay birds in the bay is a bad idea, run offshore and you will not have any issues..

you can keep your shotgun on the boat.

check with your marina about having one on their property i do not think you will have a problem, if you do time to find another marina..

What marina are you at?