Sign in to follow this  
RUTGERS95

opinions on sw model 640 please

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764958_-1_757768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

gonna get one for the house and teach my wife on .38 but like that it can go .357.

Anyone have one or handled one and what were your thoughts?

thx

I've shot one but wouldn't recommend it as a teaching tool. Im not recoil sensitive, but these little J's are a beast with full power 357 (corbon or buffalo bore) and in 38 they aren't super easy to shoot either.

I carried an issue one for about 5 years. At 24 oz its heavy for a j frame but I would rather have the weight which enhances control. I'd rather carry a bit more weight for control than a lighter gun. I could max the qual course with 357s but after shooting 50 you really don't want to shoot it anymore. you really aren't gaining much using a 357 in a 2" barrel. I carried it wi +P+ which gave a good degree of controllability. The only reason I haven't bought one is I have a couple of other guns that fill that role.

Definitely not the gun to teach your wife about revolvers. DAO and brutal recoil with .357 and certainly not a joy to shoot even with .38's. So many women, and people purchasing firearms for women, make the mistake of purchasing something small and light - failing to remember that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. If you, or she, is set on a revolver, I'd look at an older S&W K-frame with a 4" barrel. If you want the versatility of .357/.38 get a 13, 65,19 or a 66. If you can be satisfied with .38 +P then a 10HB, 64, 15 or 67. Put the wrong first gun in her hands to teach her, and there will never be a second.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

This gun is a carry gun not really good for home defense. Hard to shoot for the novice and those who were brought up on semi autos. I have been shooting them for 40 years and do not recommend them to new shooters for home or carry. Lots of recoil even with the .38. If you want a .357 get a Ruger GP1000. However please note that most people do not keep them loaded with .357 but rather just like saying that they have a .357. :) I load my home defense GP100 with .38 +P. A .357 out of a small gun like that is quite a handful and I know because I carry one at times.

For home defense when weight and size are not a factor you should get a duty sized gun or at least something bigger than a snub nose., The short sight radius makes accurate shooting difficult for all but those who have lots of practice with it. I teach new shooters with the GP100 and within 30 minutes they are hitting COM at 7 yards shooting .38 spl. I slip in a few .38 +P and not once has anyone noticed.

20 gauge pump in the bedroom, but for around the house carry, s&w 351c. She can shoot it, carry it, and it has a wicked bark. If you must go bigger, a s&w 442, as for 357, in a small package its not the way. In a perfect world she carries a springfield xds, but you work your way up to that.

agree with most above who say its not the right thing to get your wife shooting on.. my wife bought hers years ago (95) because she thought that since it was small, it was more portable and easier to handle. she shot it once when she bought it and has never shot it again (and hers was just the 38 model, not even 357 capable). she is very recoil sensitive and prefers the longer/heavier guns (4" barrel+) since they are easier on the recoil even though they are heavier.

20 gauge pump in the bedroom, but for around the house carry, s&w 351c. She can shoot it, carry it, and it has a wicked bark. If you must go bigger, a s&w 442, as for 357, in a small package its not the way. In a perfect world she carries a springfield xds, but you work your way up to that.

The trigger of the 351 is very heavy. I bought one for my wife and she could not pull it with two fingers. My wife is very petite at 95 lbs so take that into consideration. However I had problems shooting that gun accurately and I shoot .44 magnums and lower for fun. If you want a small .22 with a decent trigger take a look at the LCR .22lr and .22 magnum. Better triggers than others in that caliber. However a .22 for home defense is not advisable. Most non professionals are going to stand there ground and keep shooting at a moving target, that may or may not be shooting back. Take a look at the new LC380. A full sized .380 from Ruger with very little recoil.

Great carry gun, but the 357 loads are not for the faint of heart. My brother uses this as his duty BUG and let me put more than afew rounds thru it. I loved this gun.

unfort, after shooting RayRays LCR and a great price from TJs, I decided to buy that in a 357 instead. I couldnt resist.

thanks for the comments guys. If not this one, can you provide me links for a good 38/357 that you'd recommend for a home/bedroom gun? Lots of stuff out there and I'm not as familiar with revolvers as I am long guns and 9's...thanks

I like the ability to go to .357 but will primarily use it with .38s. I definitely want a revolver that is not too big in this capacity.

Check out s&w model 60-18. It is a j frame (small), 357, with 5 inch barrel, stainless. Gun Test magazine did a review of this gun and loved it. They showed a dad and his young son shooting it and recommended it for beginners and experienced shooters. Right now you would have to find it used, not that hard, but the factory has been known to make more when enough distributors ask for them.

thanks for the comments guys. If not this one, can you provide me links for a good 38/357 that you'd recommend for a home/bedroom gun? Lots of stuff out there and I'm not as familiar with revolvers as I am long guns and 9's...thanks

I like the ability to go to .357 but will primarily use it with .38s. I definitely want a revolver that is not too big in this capacity.

I agree a 640 is intimidating to many females, and definitely not one I'd recommend for first exposure! I will tell you a good compromise would be a Ruger SP101 in .357 with a 3" barrel. Size is roughly comparable to a J, but the build heavier and soaks recoil more than a J. While the 3" barrel is short for good target practice, it's acceptable and definitely fine when training at distances appropriate for SD/HD. Run .38Spl for training and load with the magnums for SD. The ABSOLUTE best grip for the SP101 is the Crimson Trace lasergrip! Your wife would approve!