cigarsnscotch

The final approval has come in!

No, it's not what you were thinking probably. I'm still waiting on my damn 3 P2P's in Hamilton.

BUT, I did get word yesterday that my final approval came in for me to transfer to our Charlotte, NC satellite office and I can begin seriously moving forward with me and my family's move to Fort Mill, SC this summer!!! WOOHOOO!! This last approval was really semantics but I feel a relief that I know for sure (our plan was to actually move there whether or not I got approval, I just wouldn't be with this company.

I am wondering if I will even get my permits by the time I move or before. It really sucks, but I have a really positive thing to look forward to. This move to the Carolina's has been a goal for my wife and I for the last 4 years but the real estate debacle and the financial crisis really put things on hold, so we are super excited to begin our next chapter in our lives in a FREE STATE!

Now I need to look into interstate moving companies. Anyone have recommendations? Only company I am familiar with is Uhaul. I've only moved out-of-state once when I was in college when I moved to AZ but I only needed a 14' Uhaul truck with a dolly to tow my car. Now I am thinking I am going to need at least 24' truck. Company is not helping with relocation expenses so I am footing this bill but that's ok because it's a tax write-off. We currently live in a 2 bedroom condo but have belongings stored at my mother's house in her basement and at my dad's house in his garage. This should be an interesting move. Pack up our place, drive to dad's and pack up there, drive to mom's and pack up there. No fun. Plus I will probably have to leave my truck here and come back for it and our boat and drive that down separately unless one of the family members wants to drive it down for us.

The countdown begins! Hoping to be down there by late July is all goes as planned. I can't get the smile off my face!!

Congrats! The only advice I can offer for a moving company is to read the fine print and if you can either get a firm bid or a not to exceed price. I have seen quite a few movers provide an "estimate" and then once they have all of your stuff the price increases substantially over the estimate and they won't release your stuff without cash payment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think NC actually requires pistol purchase permits, that are issued by the county sheriff! And I think you need to be a NC resident for 6 months before applying for the pistol purchase permits and CCW permits.

Long guns -- and ammo -- are not a NJ-style problem, though.

(We may be joining you down there, at least part time to start with. My wife is retired and I telecommute.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think NC actually requires pistol purchase permits, that are issued by the county sheriff! And I think you need to be a NC resident for 6 months before applying for the pistol purchase permits and CCW permits.

Long guns -- and ammo -- are not a NJ-style problem, though.

(We may be joining you down there, at least part time to start with. My wife is retired and I telecommute.)

Once you get your CCW, you no longer need the purchase permits.

Do you or your wife have family down there? Trying to convince my wife that we should move out of Jersey but the thought of leaving family and friends behind has her spooked.

Congrats though!! I have friends who moved down there and love it

Congratulations !

Jealous !

Call AE worldwide services as for Todd Graham... (201) 529-1515 (my buddy) tell him you know me and you need quotes to move your family to America... :)

Thanks Nick, will do. I'll look into this.

ABF U-Pack Moving maybe another solution. Sets cube on site. You load, they haul.

http://www.upack.com...north-carolina/

I actually used ABF for my move back from AZ, it was real simple. Might have to look into this again, just not sure if it will work now because we have a ton of stuff.

Do you or your wife have family down there? Trying to convince my wife that we should move out of Jersey but the thought of leaving family and friends behind has her spooked.

Congrats though!! I have friends who moved down there and love it

We do not. All of our family is here in NJ and my sister is in Bethlehem, PA. It took a while and a bit of coercion but she and I are on the same page: We need to do what's best for US, regardless if that means moving away from family. We are young (33,31) and have a 19 month old and are planning for another. We recognize that it's just not affordable and extremely hard to raise a family in NJ these days. She's excited for a change and a new chapter. But it did take a bit of time. I think the thing that sealed it for her was taking a trip down to Charlotte 4 years ago for the first time. She loved the people, the pace and way of life and it helped there's a few lakes nearby. We're very outdoorsy people so we hike, camp, wakeboard and SC/NC has all of that and more!

Don't forget about PODS and PackRat. PODS may be a good choice so they can haul your stuff and you can take your boat.

http://www.pods.com/default.aspx

http://www.1800packrat.com/

I'm used to seeing the small PODS and PackRat containers, do they have larger ones because we'd need like 5 of those things!

Thanks everyone for the congrats! We'll miss our family and great friends we have here but they can always come for a visit!!

Wow, great move!!!

Congratulations!!!

My biggest regret was not taking a paid company transfer to the DFW Metroplex... but in the end I think making sure my wife could lock in her pension was more important. And it was a good thing too because the company laid off people and took a bailout shortly thereafter.