david8613

any other high effiency luxury cars I should be looking at?

I have been doing some car shopping and test road the Buick lacrosse 6 cylinder but I'm going back today to try the the e assist version that's supposed to give about 36 hwy which is amazing for such a large car, I read some pretty good reviews, what other cars should I be looking at before I pull the trigger, low 30000.00 range... any good tips on negotiating terms, I was offered 2,000.00 down, 379.00 month, I think I can get down to 350.00, 12,000.00 miles 39 months...

david check out suburu's. you prob could get a full loaded forester for around that. i just got the girlfriend a forester and the thing is nice. might be a little less on the mpg i think its listed hwy as 32. but i didnt even think of suburu when we started to look and turns out they are fairly priced, rides excellent and awd. im very happy with the car.

dunno what your requirements are but I got a Prius V (2012) and love it. Tons of people and cargo room and I'm averaging over 44mpg. Yeah it's a Prius but I don't really give a damn what other people think, it's good for me and my family and when I move down south I'll put my NRA sticker on it.

I also hear Subaru just came out with an Outback that has some hybrid tech in it you may want to look at

dunno what your requirements are but I got a Prius V (2012) and love it. Tons of people and cargo room and I'm averaging over 44mpg. Yeah it's a Prius but I don't really give a damn what other people think, it's good for me and my family and when I move down south I'll put my NRA sticker on it.

I also hear Subaru just came out with an Outback that has some hybrid tech in it you may want to look at

not to hijack the thread, but put your nra sticker on it now. we need people to see this in nj. people are almost embarrassed that they own guns in nj and thats the problem.

I have been doing some car shopping and test road the Buick lacrosse 6 cylinder but I'm going back today to try the the e assist version that's supposed to give about 36 hwy which is amazing for such a large car, I read some pretty good reviews, what other cars should I be looking at before I pull the trigger, low 30000.00 range... any good tips on negotiating terms, I was offered 2,000.00 down, 379.00 month, I think I can get down to 350.00, 12,000.00 miles 39 months...

Please don't tell me you're considering a fleece. That's no better than a long term rental.

Lease prices are hard to discuss negotiating without knowing the dealership fees, and the residual buyout price. Your main focus on leasing a car is the buyout price, what you will owe at the end of the lease. Add up the residual, the monthly payment and the down payment and don't let the price be too far from the original sticker price.

Leases are great if you own a business and can write off the payments, other wise, like ryan_j said, you are basically doing a long term rental and can pretty banged up returning it with scratches, or over miles.

Subaru's are great cars. Honda accord's V6 is almost 300 hp and they are quick. For low 30's, you will have a great car!!! If you want a sweet new two door coupe, check out the new Subaru BRZ for 27,000. Awesome new right.

Here is what you will be looking at to finance a car at $30,000 at a 5 year loan.

Sticker $30,000

Taxes $2,100

Fees $450

Loan Total $32,550

Downpayment $2,000

Interest 1.9

Loan Months 60

Payment total $534.14

Interest $1,498.26

Total Paid $34,048.26

Lease prices are hard to discuss negotiating without knowing the dealership fees, and the residual buyout price. Your main focus on leasing a car is the buyout price, what you will owe at the end of the lease. Add up the residual, the monthly payment and the down payment and don't let the price be too far from the original sticker price.

Leases are great if you own a business and can write off the payments, other wise, like ryan_j said, you are basically doing a long term rental and can pretty banged up returning it with scratches, or over miles.

Subaru's are great cars. Honda accord's V6 is almost 300 hp and they are quick. For low 30's, you will have a great car!!! If you want a sweet new two door coupe, check out the new Subaru BRZ for 27,000. Awesome new right.

Here is what you will be looking at to finance a car at $30,000 at a 5 year loan.

Sticker $30,000

Taxes $2,100

Fees $450

Loan Total $32,550

Downpayment $2,000

Interest 1.9

Loan Months 60

Payment total $534.14

Interest $1,498.26

Total Paid $34,048.26

the argument here is that buying is not smart for some. some people that want a new car every 4 years its not smart for. You will loose more money buying and selling and buying as opposed to a lease where you bring it back and get a new one in 3 years. ive owned my truck for 5 or so years and wont be getting rid of it. but for some people leases work. also if you take care of the car like you own it you dont normally get charges. normal wear and tear they dont care about minor scratches. if you have a huge gash or big dents then yea fix them before you bring it. and before you return a lease always wash it and clean the inside up. then the inspectors say wow this thing still looks new.

Before this turns into war...

I have had a '04 Rubicon...loved it no issues...

'05 Dakota was ok but dated badly

'05 Ram SLT Hemi was awesome but broke exhaust hangers all the time...factory not aftermarket

'06 Durango was a problem from the first week...wwiper motor went...window motors went...steering wheel cover always came off...gas tank went bad a few times...paint chipped etc.

'11 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited leaked everytime it rained...hard and softtop. Doors misaligned...windshield misaligned...etc..that went back lemon law. Thank goodness.

the argument here is that buying is not smart for some. some people that want a new car every 4 years its not smart for. You will loose more money buying and selling and buying as opposed to a lease where you bring it back and get a new one in 3 years. ive owned my truck for 5 or so years and wont be getting rid of it. but for some people leases work. also if you take care of the car like you own it you dont normally get charges. normal wear and tear they dont care about minor scratches. if you have a huge gash or big dents then yea fix them before you bring it. and before you return a lease always wash it and clean the inside up. then the inspectors say wow this thing still looks new.

I agree and disagree. You buy a Japanese car something like a Toyota, Lexus, Subaru or Honda and you are going to have a car worth a lot more in 5 years then an American car. Unless it's a specialty like a Jeep, Camaro, Corvette, etc.

Look up the Galls value on a 5 year old GMC SUV and then a 5 year 4 Runner, they are worlds apart. You can and will make money on financing the right vehicle.

Leasing is great if you can't afford to buy the car. I'm not talking out of my ass, I worked for Reynolds & Reynolds. We RAN car dealerships. I have access to all the statistics for every single car bought sold and traded in the US, whether is was a dealership, used car lot or auction.

i understand what your saying if you sell in 5 years. but look at 3 years, the typical lease. you will loose money if you buy a new car and sell it within 3 years to buy another new vehicle. a lease is basically a rental which you will always have a new car. it is good for some people and bad for others. i used to be against leasing cars. ive owned my truck for 5 years and dont plan on getting rid of it. Others are people that get tired of cars, or they just like having a new car. those people leases are great for. yes it will cost more money to continually lease than just buy 1 every so many years. but for some people they just want a new car more often, every 3 years, and for them leases are perfect.

True, the biggest hit is right when you drive that shiny new bad boy off the showroom floor...

I used to be die hard American only with everything I purchased... Like blksheep said I'm a Toyota guy now.

Unless it's on two wheels, can't go wrong with the Harley, haha.

yea i agree, i try to buy american. but with cars its not easy. From what ive seen recently the foreign cars have more upgrades and features and are priced better than american. before getting a forester i checked out the escape and the price to get an awd escape i could get a loaded forester which is more comfortable, slightly bigger, better gas mileage, way more features at the same price.

HD is not American Made. Assembled here? Yeah, but content % is not even close to legal requirements to say "Made in America". Japanese suspension, brakes, Canadian Frames, Japanese electric harnesses, wheels from Mexico. Only thing made in US is motor and final assembly. Honda Goldwing is more made in the USA than HD.

The Honda Accord, however is over 85% made in America parts and assembly.

yea i agree, i try to buy american. but with cars its not easy. From what ive seen recently the foreign cars have more upgrades and features and are priced better than american. before getting a forester i checked out the escape and the price to get an awd escape i could get a loaded forester which is more comfortable, slightly bigger, better gas mileage, way more features at the same price.

I used to try and buy American but after a Chrysler and Lincoln Aviator, never again. They both had AWFUL basic engineering errors andcustomer service was garbage.

I had a Lexus G and now an Acura MDX and will never buy another American car. My MDX has over 160,000 miles on it and never an issue, I have been hit 3 times in accidents and still runs perfectly every time and is super comfortable.

HD is not American Made. Assembled here? Yeah, but content % is not even close to legal requirements to say "Made in America". Japanese suspension, brakes, Canadian Frames, Japanese electric harnesses, wheels from Mexico. Only thing made in US is motor and final assembly. Honda Goldwing is more made in the USA than HD.

The Honda Accord, however is over 85% made in America parts and assembly.

Now we are playing semantics. They are mostly "made" in America, with foreign parts. They have to be made here to bypass the tariff of importing the bikes. I meant it as in supporting American made products.

My 4 Runner was made in California, haha. Sticker says "Proudly made in America".

Not semantics. There is a minimum % of parts that must come from America and the assembly to happen in America for it to be labeled "Made in America", I am fairly sure it is 78% or so.

Look at HD. Up until 1994 there was a big "MADE IN AMERICA" on the tanks. Know why it isn't there anymore? Because Uncle Sam told them to remove it because it is not true.

And the import tariff is only on bikes larger than 750 CC imported into America. You know why? Because AMC HD bikes were such crap they could not compete with other brands so Uncle Sam saved the day with the tariff.

I was a wrench at an HD dealer.

I know I'll probably get a lot of eye rolls to this comment, but I love my 2005 Kia Sportage. I bought it in October 2005 and have racked up over 168k miles without a single mechanical problem. All I ever had to get done was regular maintenance. I'm getting ready to get a new car because we need more room for the family. I've been looking at the 2014 Kia Sorento SXL.

I'm going to be in the market for a new car come the fall. Having a hard time choosing between leasing and buying (financing). If I buy, I prefer to buy American, but the American cars don't hold their value as well. On the other hand replacement parts on the American cars are usually cheaper.

And the import tariff is only on bikes larger than 750 CC imported into America. You know why? Because AMC HD bikes were such crap they could not compete with other brands so Uncle Sam saved the day with the tariff.

I was a wrench at an HD dealer.

It wasn't AMC, they were AMF from 69 - 81.

It wasn't AMC, they were AMF from 69 - 81.

And it was also because the japs were dumping bikes in America to run HD out of business.

But hey, keep sending profits and jobs over seas. .then wonder why our economy is in the shitter.

I've been through two BMWs. Owned them and had nothing but problems. Engine codes, over heating, bad suspension, oil seals, gas leaks, bad CPU...you name it. Got a Nissan rogue now. Love it.

Funny thing is the dealer tells me these are common problems and the car owners accept it and pay for the repairs just because of the emblem on the steering wheel.

Yeah, they drive nice but I wouldn't be surprised to find Bosch OEM duct tape under the hood...and a roll of it would cost $120.

in my experience any vehicle with an electronic assist (ei any hybrid/electric vehicle) will have the following problems:

terrible to drive

they break

when they break they are incredibly expensive to fix

the battery pack WILL need to be replaced eventually (the BIG battery that supplies the electric motor) - also expensive

did i mention they drive like crap and they are SLOW?

you still have to be 'nice' to the throttle, otherwise your gas mileage will still be crap. did you know i've seen honda insight owners who are only getting 29 or 30 mpg? that car is suppposed to get like 50.

just from what i've seen over the years as a technician.