BCeagle

Necessary vs Luxury vs Just blowing cash on something

I noticed that I have been looking for stuff to buy for no real reason (paracord, crowbar, entrenching tool) and then chalking it up to "I can put it in my bug out bag" even though it has nothing to do with a BOB.

I was pricing body armor last night. When will I ever need body armor? I assume thats category 3.

I bought extra mags for all my handguns, I am going to chalk that up to a luxury, it is nice but not req'd

I think we all agree that necessary (giving lots of leeway and defined as what the wife wont question) would be

a 9mm, a 45 and a revolver

a long range rifle

an AR or AK

a shotgun

1000 rounds or ammo for gun you have

a good knife

a good mutli-tool

a med kit

What else do you think should be req'd just to have around.

I rearranged my safe tonight, and after looking at all the guns I bought in the last 2 months I am thinking that even though they all fit a different niche, they are all luxury items. I already had my go to handgun, an ar, a rifle, and a truck gun. Everything beyond that is a luxury imo. That being said I am still happy to have all of them :)

As far as the other stuff, I am probably the wrong person to comment bc I like to be prepared for anything. Having grown up with my family owning an army navy store and having access to wholesale pricing on gear has not helped the situation whatsoever lol.

pretty much anything you can think of shtf wise i probably own, with the exception of the sweet sweet night vision goggles posted above

also, 1k rds is likely not enough to get you through an ammo drought like we are in right now if you go shooting frequently

when things are back to normal I am going to either start reloading or increase my on hand ammo count to relfect 1+ years worth of shooting just in case

I was thinking the same thing. Bought a CZ527 in .223 for no reason, then started hunting for ammo. Bought a nice 7mm Magnum rifle for no reason, several boxes of ammo coming also. Found a CZ527 in 7.62x39mm, had 1K rounds shipped here before I even have the gun. Why? Why not.............Why do women get to have so many different shoes and handbags? I can have just as many guns and ammo...... :)

there are two types of potentially awful situations.... in one scenario you are at your house (waiting it out).. in the other you have already left...

I have thought a lot about the question you are talking about.. and that is why I only own like 5 guns.. if I ever had to "get up and go" I am not going to be bringing 10 guns... or even 5...

I have chosen guns that I feel are the most adaptable.. and items I would actually use...

AR15 with a spare upper.. a short light upper for walking around with a red dot.. for close.. a longer range upper in the pack with a magnified optic.. this one simple setup now takes care of 0 - 300+ yards..

Glock in 40 S&W (working on getting a 9mm barrel for it as well.. this will allow me to shoot the 40 I have.. and any 9mm I come across.. again.. one piece of equipment multiple roles..

I do own body armor and a chest rig... again if it were that bad that I abandoned my home for the woods... I would want that..

in the pack I have very simple things.. fire starting stuff... lighter and striker.. plastic tarp...medical supplies (which really need to be improved)... fishing line hooks and weights... some chem lights / flashlight... batteries for light and optic.... spotting scope.. hydration bladder.. couple little odds and ends.. multi tool.. scissors.. and a LOT of ammo.. the idea being if I can get to the woods.. and I can make fire.. and create shelter.. I am going to be OK.. I have the same load out X2 for my fiance.. she also has body armor..

we do not think that anything will happen any time soon.. but it is more of worst case scenario kind of thing... the idea is you can prep and horde all the supplies in the world.. but if you live anywhere near people you are going to have issues.. the best scenario is to be far away from everyone and everything..

I was thinking the same thing. Bought a CZ527 in .223 for no reason, then started hunting for ammo. Bought a nice 7mm Magnum rifle for no reason, several boxes of ammo coming also. Found a CZ527 in 7.62x39mm, had 1K rounds shipped here before I even have the gun. Why? Why not.............Why do women get to have so many different shoes and handbags? I can have just as many guns and ammo...... :)

I bought a 1911 wrench just to have an extra, I bought 1470 rounds of .22 and I havent even bought my 22 yet!!!!

Things I need to work on:

Spare parts for my AR, I cant find a lower parts kit anywhere. I would consider it necessary.

Things I want, but cant justify:

Body armor is the big one. I would go $250 no question, $500 makes me think twice.

I bought a 1911 wrench just to have an extra, I bought 1470 rounds of .22 and I havent even bought my 22 yet!!!! Things I need to work on: Spare parts for my AR, I cant find a lower parts kit anywhere. I would consider it necessary. Things I want, but cant justify: Body armor is the big one. I would go $250 no question, $500 makes me think twice.
ideally if you have a plan body armor may likely be pretty moot.. ours was free.. so it was a no brainer.. still looking into rifle plates... the idea being to leave before you ever even need it.. I am not a "prepper" by any means.. but that does not stop me from having a plan.. and the plan being there are some pretty sheer rock faces.. and pretty dense woods close to where I live... and I also have family with hundreds of acres... getting to one of those two places would be the priority..

ideally if you have a plan body armor may likely be pretty moot.. ours was free.. so it was a no brainer.. still looking into rifle plates... the idea being to leave before you ever even need it.. I am not a "prepper" by any means.. but that does not stop me from having a plan.. and the plan being there are some pretty sheer rock faces.. and pretty dense woods close to where I live... and I also have family with hundreds of acres... getting to one of those two places would be the priority..

Not a prepper either, but the point is valid, you need to get out of NJ and to someplace that can be defended. The whole issue will be getting there, anyplace in a 2 hour drive of NYC is going to be impossible to defend. I figured I would hunker down a few days before moving anyplace, the preference to bug-in rather than bugout. I think the 2 closest places for me would be either North Central PA or upper Maine. I was looking for land just to put a cabin to get away from it all. I like Maine and it could be a nice summer place w/ access to plenty of fishing but the winters are harsh.

I rearranged my safe tonight, and after looking at all the guns I bought in the last 2 months I am thinking that even though they all fit a different niche, they are all luxury items. I already had my go to handgun, an ar, a rifle, and a truck gun. Everything beyond that is a luxury imo. That being said I am still happy to have all of them :)

As far as the other stuff, I am probably the wrong person to comment bc I like to be prepared for anything. Having grown up with my family owning an army navy store and having access to wholesale pricing on gear has not helped the situation whatsoever lol.

pretty much anything you can think of shtf wise i probably own, with the exception of the sweet sweet night vision goggles posted above

Completely irrelevant to the thread, but I stopped into your store a few weeks ago and had a nice conversation with your wife and daughter. I was so happy that you guys had fallout shelter signs, since I have been looking for the things for years. Didn't have the M16 cleaning kit I wanted though..

(back on topic) You can never have too many guns.

I always thought of being prepared but afraid of getting sucked into the "prepper" mentality, especially since a lot of people watch doomsday preppers nowadays and and other survival shows. I have a couple of investment properties that I ended up renting out because of the market and I've been sworn to not buy any more guns, not that I have a whole lot, but instead I've been buying gun accessories which is also a pretty penny

I always thought of being prepared but afraid of getting sucked into the "prepper" mentality, especially since a lot of people watch doomsday preppers nowadays and and other survival shows. I have a couple of investment properties that I ended up renting out because of the market and I've been sworn to not buy any more guns, not that I have a whole lot, but instead I've been buying gun accessories which is also a pretty penny
I wouldn't be afraid. Screw what other people think. At first my wife thought I was nuts for having one but when sandy was coming and no one knew what to expect she thought it was a great idea to conveniently have a bag that has a few days supplies and other goodies to get you by in a moments notice. Prepare for the worse, hope for the best.

sent from my Samsung Note 2

if your plan relies on a stock pile of goods.. you eventually die... you lose... even if they last years they run out..

if your plan relies on nature and living off the land and what is provided naturally.. and you have the skill set to do so... you stand a far better chance IMO..

that is why I really dont invest a lot of effort in stockpiling.. I figure I roll the dice with whats out there...

if your plan relies on a stock pile of goods.. you eventually die... you lose... even if they last years they run out..

if your plan relies on nature and living off the land and what is provided naturally.. and you have the skill set to do so... you stand a far better chance IMO..

that is why I really dont invest a lot of effort in stockpiling.. I figure I roll the dice with whats out there...

Thats my idea for Maine. Good hunting, good fishing. Lots of secluded areas. I have heard that if you just plan on hunting you need 20 acres per person to support them. You probably need to stockpile enough to get you settled unless you know the area well.

I wouldn't be afraid. Screw what other people think. At first my wife thought I was nuts for having one but when sandy was coming and no one knew what to expect she thought it was a great idea to conveniently have a bag that has a few days supplies and other goodies to get you by in a moments notice. Prepare for the worse, hope for the best.

sent from my Samsung Note 2

Same for me. Wife thought I was nuts - storing stuff away in my basement room and buying extra fuel and generator stuff. Then Sandy hit and now she thinks much more highly of my preparedness skills. Also my basement storage room has been named "squirrel hole' and from time to time she asks how it's doing since she never ventures in there... :)

The squirrel hole used to be called "blowing cash" that the misses hated and now it's been moved into our budget as "necessity" items. ;)

You can never have too many guns or knives or watches(sorry had to add that last one). That being said. I can stress enough a good fire starters at least 2 types. A good knife and a good gun, ( i would say even a 22 just because you can carry a crap load of ammmo. on your persons) Water decontamination kit. Dry clothes packed in 5-6 hefty bags in your rucksack and a good pair of boots or sneakers . I think you can pretty much survive with that as base for bugging out. Oh and first aid kit

Thats my idea for Maine. Good hunting, good fishing. Lots of secluded areas. I have heard that if you just plan on hunting you need 20 acres per person to support them. You probably need to stockpile enough to get you settled unless you know the area well.

Do you already own property in Maine or do you plan on buying? I suspect the locals wouldn't take kindly to some Jersey folk making their way up there to live off land that locals claim as their own. I spent a lot of time in Maine as a youth and I recall trespassing being taken way more seriously than down here. There was more than one occasion where a 4 wheeling adventure was interrupted by a local with a shotgun slung over his shoulder.

I don't know how to hunt, fish or farm. I have no plans to invest the time and energy to do so. In addition, living in this area, if things are so bad that we are reduced to an agrarian or hunter/gatherer lifestyle, I think the chances of making it to your cabin in Maine are virtually zero. Plus, just because you "own" it doesn't mean it will be unoccupied when you get there, in this type of scenario. If society breaks down to the point you are reduced to hunting to survive, a deed on a piece of land will mean squat and there will be many, many people also trying to escape to the woods including locals up in Maine. So, I don't bother preparing for the Mad Max scenario. IMHO you would be much better served owning a small house on a few acres in Sussex county or some other semi-rural area in NJ or PA within 60 miles that you go to frequently, where you know your neighbors and that you could get to easily and that will be easier to defend than a house in the burbs.

I prepare for an intermediate scenario -- a multi week or multi month disruption in law and order on a local or regional level, where food and fuel is not readily available but where, eventually things will return to normal. For example, what if hurricane Sandy had been a Category 2 or 3 storm? We would have been without electricity and gas for weeks, perhaps months. There would have been short term food shortages. There almost certainly have been looting in many areas. But eventually order would be restored. I have enough food, guns, ammo and supplies to have a realistic chance of surviving intact in my home in such a scenario, at least by making myself a much harder target than my neighbors. That type of scenario is much more likely to occur than a national or global meltdown, which you probably won't be able to survive in any event.

I don't know how to hunt, fish or farm. I have no plans to invest the time and energy to do so. In addition, living in this area, if things are so bad that we are reduced to an agrarian or hunter/gatherer lifestyle, I think the chances of making it to your cabin in Maine are virtually zero. Plus, just because you "own" it doesn't mean it will be unoccupied when you get there, in this type of scenario. If society breaks down to the point you are reduced to hunting to survive, a deed on a piece of land will mean squat and there will be many, many people also trying to escape to the woods including locals up in Maine. So, I don't bother preparing for the Mad Max scenario. IMHO you would be much better served owning a small house on a few acres in Sussex county or some other semi-rural area in NJ or PA within 60 miles that you go to frequently, where you know your neighbors and that you could get to easily and that will be easier to defend than a house in the burbs.

I prepare for an intermediate scenario -- a multi week or multi month disruption in law and order on a local or regional level, where food and fuel is not readily available but where, eventually things will return to normal. For example, what if hurricane Sandy had been a Category 2 or 3 storm? We would have been without electricity and gas for weeks, perhaps months. There would have been short term food shortages. There almost certainly have been looting in many areas. But eventually order would be restored. I have enough food, guns, ammo and supplies to have a realistic chance of surviving intact in my home in such a scenario, at least by making myself a much harder target than my neighbors. That type of scenario is much more likely to occur than a national or global meltdown, which you probably won't be able to survive in any event.

Ditto, Im pretty much on the same boat, although I'd like to get into some fishing but that would take away from my golf time which really need some improvement. Other than that, your "doomsday scenario" seems to be the most realistic. I feel like if there was some catastrophic event order will resume, and rebuilding process to follow. As far as defending yourselves, do you think the laws would be lenient regarding looters and intruders especially if you have to defend your home?