jrfly3006

Sweeney an NJ Sen intro 12 bills (no mag limit or online ammo ban)

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/04/senate_dems_to_introduce_12_ne.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sweeney and his NJ Dem senators are pushing ahead with 12 gun control measures..biggest one is background checks for all.. Photo FID( I think that this one is a shoe--in)..tweaks to mental health.. But interestingly left out mag limit measure and ban of online ammo sales.. While not done by any stretch its certainly not doomsday scenario

I want to take a look at all the bills that are out there. I do give Sweeney credit for now playing into the ghetto'crats wanting to do the extreme bills.

So the 50 cal ban is there, but the newspaper says that it is for 50 BMG..... humn, time to dig for the bills.

Post a link of the bills if you find them.

I'm OK with adding photo's to FID, but given the time it's taking NJSP to do anything, I really don't want to have to get a new FID or have to reapply to exercise my constitutional right and be without a FID for months/years while they drag their feet.

Post a link of the bills if you find them.

I'm OK with adding photo's to FID, but given the time it's taking NJSP to do anything, I really don't want to have to get a new FID or have to reapply to exercise my constitutional right and be without a FID for months/years while they drag their feet.

The biggest problem with photo id's, is the ability for FED/LEO to make visual contract with someone and apprehend them solely based on their face being logged as a firearms owner, or worse, being targeted for disarmament.

I agree with RubberBullets

The centerpiece of the package would:

Establish an electronic system of instant background checks for gun retailers, combining the separate permits for handguns and hunting weapons into one. The system would use motor vehicle licenses or state-issued ID cards encoded with the buyer’s firearms ID information in the database operated by the State Police for permits for handguns and hunting rifles;

Require a photograph on the ID;

Require safety training to qualify for firearms permit;

Criminalize the purchase and possession of ammunition by those convicted of certain crimes;

Require a valid firearms ID for the purchase of ammunition; and,

Mandate the revocation of gun permits at sentencing for those convicted of a crime and for those ordered into involuntary commitment.

Among the bills in the package, is legislation that would:

Disqualify those on the federal “no fly” list from eligibility for gun permits;

Ban the sale of the .50 caliber Barrett assault weapon;

Upgrade penalties for the unlawful possession of a firearm on school grounds;

Upgrade penalties for gun dealers who knowingly sell to those who intend to transfer the weapon to an ineligible person, helping to combat straw sales that allow criminals to get weapons;

Allow for the seizure and forfeiture of motor vehicles used in the illegal trafficking of firearms, disqualify gun traffickers from early release from prison and require they serve at least 85 percent of terms before parole;

Establish a School Security Task Force to find ways to make schools safe and secure;

Declare violence a health crisis, which could qualify for federal funds; Create a commission to study violence and mental health;

Prohibit state investments in companies that manufacture, import or sell assault rifles for civilian use;

Exempts firearms records from the Open Public Records Act. Allows for reporting of aggregate information on gun permits approved or denied but not any personal identifying information; and,

Changes from second-degree to third-degree the crime of unlawful purpose when the weapon is a BB gun.

"The centerpiece of the plan is legislation sponsored by Senate President Sweeney that will create an electronic system for instant background checks for the purchase of firearms"

Ohh you dont say.. Electronic? That's some fancy new technology yall got there with your puters and internet machines.

Did someone remind them that the 90's were 20 yrs ago?

The centerpiece of the package would:

Establish an electronic system of instant background checks for gun retailers, combining the separate permits for handguns and hunting weapons into one. The system would use motor vehicle licenses or state-issued ID cards encoded with the buyer’s firearms ID information in the database operated by the State Police for permits for handguns and hunting rifles;

Does this mean pistol purchases with just an FID and no P2P? While it certainly will not make up for any negative provisions it would be nice.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

In the news paper article it says the new FID card would create a single permit for both handgun and hunting rifle purchases. So that would be the only plus to that.

One step forward, 50 back...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Establish an electronic system of instant background checks for gun retailers, combining the separate permits for handguns and hunting weapons into one.

Does this mean long guns now require the same permitting process as handguns? Unlikely they're making hangun purchases easier.

Require safety training to qualify for firearms permit;

for a constitutional right?

Ban the sale of the .50 caliber Barrett assault weapon;

Who ever robbed a convenience store or did a home invasion with one of these?

Changes from second-degree to third-degree the crime of unlawful purpose when the weapon is a BB gun.

A step in the right direction. But since a BB gun really isn't a gun at all - still unacceptable that there is a law preventing possession.

I will campaign for whoever runs against him the next time around.

This is what they think of people like Frank, and Scott Bach, that met with Sweeney

From the article:

But Weinberg, a Democrat from Bergen County, who has pushed for event tougher measures, said she was satisfied with Sweeney's efforts.

“I think that Steve Sweeney did a terrific job in meeting the people who were pressuring on one side, like me…And the kind of what you would expect on the other side,” Weinberg said.

The biggest problem with photo id's, is the ability for FED/LEO to make visual contract with someone and apprehend them solely based on their face being logged as a firearms owner, or worse, being targeted for disarmament.

I agree with RubberBullets

OK I'll bite on this. What if it were a carry permit? Why are people worried about this but not a photo on a carry permit?

Personally I am in the "not another inch" camp but I think we all agree that they won't walk away without passing anything.

Establish an electronic system of instant background checks for gun retailers, combining the separate permits for handguns and hunting weapons into one.

Does this mean long guns now require the same permitting process as handguns? Unlikely they're making hangun purchases easier.

Yes I agree, I don't think they will be making things easier for us. From posts I have seen on FB and other forums people seem to think that this means that the current P2P will be done away with. I highly doubt it and I have a feeling this means that we will have to apply for a P2P for a long gun.

I could be wrong so if anyone knows please make a liar out of me.