Shane45

Swapped my ride again!

Well that didnt take long. I picked up an 09 street bob not to long ago. I liked the looks. But after getting to spend a little time on it, it became quickly apparent it wasnt going to cut it for me. Riding position just to cramped and the weezing power was a real issue. Started adding up what it was going to cost to try and make it livable with a stage 1 kit and foward controls. Well...it just didnt seem like a worthy pursuit. Now I know Harleys are for cruising etc etc but Ive been on sports bikes for a looooooong time so I still need a little juice even in my cruiser. So I took it to the dealer and came home with a 2013V-Rod Muscle.

vrod.jpg

Well, how's the V-Rod compare with juice? I've got a FXD which in that year 99, had the lowest first gear ratio of the line including Sporters. I'm at a Stage 1 1/2 I will say and the bottom end is fantastic. 0-80mph is great and at my age and with 4 kids, I'm cool with cruising at 75 mph. When I finish my 78 Triumph Bonneville into a racer-bob, that will be my toy.

Good luck with it. Never saw that color before.

How's the ride on the Vrod?

The more I want to take longer trips, the more I realize I need to add something else to the stables.

I would really like to pick up an offload touring bike (ktm or Ducati or triumph) so I can do this

post-5695-136611287696_thumb.jpg

I sold my MX bike and miss it dearly, but the way my body is falling apart at 24 is a sign of a tough life for me.

I would love to grab up the new KTM 500 exc six days edition, but $11,000 for a dual sport is a little steep.

I want something that I can cruise a few hundred miles a day and not have to hobble afterwards. But I still need a kick in the ass when I crank it on.

I got it at Ocean County HD.

If you are coming over from sport bike land you may find the jump to a traditional HD too much of a jump. The V-Rod seems to be a better transistion. The tricky part is the V-Rod makes power very differently than other bikes. Where the M109R hit like a big block muscle car, the V-Rod spins up more like a Porche. So it does not feel fast even though the speed of the M109 and tthe Rod is almost identical. For me the riding position works out very well. The fit, finish and build quality of the bike is very good! Very different than the Dyna it replaced. I looked at the Ducati Diavel too although I didnt get hands on one. But I think its too close to my 1098 and I wouldnt really be gaining anything. So I went with the V-Rod. The bike feels tight, tracks well through a turn, and is responsive. Guys coming from a traditional harley would likely find the suspension harsh but coming from the other side of the fence it is more plush for sure. Pipe, air, fuel management and tune is on the short list once past break in!

Bleeding orange... new from Bavaria, best of both worlds

http://tinyurl.com/b9xkbaw

Have they beefed up or redesigned the F800's in the last few years at all? Last i remember, F8's would slowly disassemble and separate thier rear suspension and frame when used primarily off road as a true ADV bike.

I'd love to have the coin for the KTM or GS. A couple of years ago I traded a well work lifted / work Land Rover Disco 1 for a KLR 650. So far I have put crash bars, skid plates, new seat, and other upgrades to it. It is no dirt bike being that it is heavier then my Triumph Bonneville 750, but it sure it one helluva pack-mule that is easy to fix and has a TON of aftermarket parts for. Not much you can gain from tweaking the engine / intake / exhaust. So you upgrade the suspension to allow you better handling on the road and in the rough.