addicted

Does this look right? Springfield 1911

Most 1911's that I've handled have a nice smooth transition between the slide and frame by the hammer. My new Springfield has this weird step that I didn't notice when I bought it. The extractor hangs out pretty far too. IT is fully in battery and shoots fine. It also hangs up a bit on the disconnector. So much so that you can feel it when firing. The slide will actually get hung up on it if you release it slowly. is this typical of Springfield 1911's? I've only put about 200 rndsthrough it so maybe it just needs to break in??

I'm not an expert on 1911's but I've put 10k + rounds through my bottom of the line kimber, and it has a nice smooth transition whatever that worth.

Thanks!

post-5040-136634140648_thumb.jpgpost-5040-136634141802_thumb.jpg

My springfield range officer does not do that. The slide rests flush with the bottom frame in back. I assume you've taken it apart and ensured the innards are put back together correctly and the slide catch, spring, and spring stopper are all correctly seated and facing the right way etc.

Not the best fit and finish, if you ask me. I'd be more concerned with the disconnector issue. Is the slide not going into battery smoothly? Do you have issues of not firing because the disconnector's engaged when the slide is fully forward? There could be a number of issues causing that. The recess cut under the slide where the disconnector rides on could be too shallow. Disconnector could be too long. The bottom locking lugs could be cut too shallow so the slide is not moving far enough forward, or it could be a simple matter of the leaf spring too tight. You can try polishing the disconnector and adjusting the leaf spring and see what happens.

Depending how competent you are, you can fix the slide to frame overhang and shorten the extractor so it doesn't protrude that much. You will need to media blast to get the finish back. If you are not confident on toying with the trigger assembly, easiest approach is cash in on your warranty and have Springfield fix it. I don't think it should've left their assembly line that way.

I have seen other springfields like that.. it is a production gun it is not hand fit..

Hand fit or not, I wouldn't want a gun like that. Seems like a quality control problem. I haven't seen such poor quality since two Remington R1s I handled. The few Springfields I have examined were top notch.

My loaded has a bit of the slide overhang that yours has. It's a little ugly but I ignore it. My extractor is flush though and no disconnector issues. 200 rounds isn't much but if it keeps doing it after break in Springfield will make it right. They have excellent CS in my experience.

EDIT: obviously if you're going to have them fix it, don't try to recontour or polish anything on your own.

Hand fit or not, I wouldn't want a gun like that. Seems like a quality control problem. I haven't seen such poor quality since two Remington R1s I handled. The few Springfields I have examined were top notch.

On a hand fit gun those parts are filed and polished before finishing to make the ends meet...

One thing you cannot forget is that pistol is a production gun built in Brazil, you are going to see pistols like that. You should have said something up front before taking possession, now you are going to have to deal with CS on your issues with " apearance"!!

I am sure the pistol will function as intended even though it is an ugly duckling..it is most likely a Frankenstein pistol put together to end a production run.

Not quite sure I understand how that relates to fit and finish in modern machine work

How do you know the age of the equipment being used to manufacture those parts, im betting some brazillian is hand feeding it through a mill...

sure they may have a few cnc machines but how many mills are running that are not cnc? you will never know..

There's a plus side to the excess material. You can now have it flattened and serrated. As Shocker said, if you are planning to send it back, don't void the warranty by doing anything to it.

What's done is done. It's in your possession now. Mind the past and plan for the future. More trips to the range.

Addicted,

Feel free to stop by and I will have our gunsmith take a took at it. There is no charge to take a look. He will be able to tell you if it is something that needs immediate attention or if it needs to go back to the manufacture. His name is Tom and he is in the shop Wed, Thur and Fri (10-5)

I know my way around the internals of a 1911 pretty well but don't want to mess with anything until I confirm that there is a problem.

Are you sure this is made in brazil? If that the case That pisses me off. I have to dbl check the paperwork that came with it.

Ill see if I can find an email address for sa and send them some pics.

I know my way around the internals of a 1911 pretty well but don't want to mess with anything until I confirm that there is a problem.

Are you sure this is made in brazil? If that the case That pisses me off. I have to dbl check the paperwork that came with it.

Ill see if I can find an email address for sa and send them some pics.

Is that a Loaded? If so look at your serial. If it starts with NM it was forged in Brazil and fit in USA. If not it was forged in Brazil and fit in Brazil.

Some of the higher lines are a fully fit in USA but I'm not sure which ones. I think all the forgings are done in Brazil though. Imbel is supposed to do some good work though.

Don't bother with email it will take them forever to get back to you. Call, there's a number on their website.

I'm no 1911 expert but I have handled quite a few and that would warrant calling up Springfield and sending it back.

Seems like too much of a gap if you ask me. Might not affect something now, but perhaps down the road.