M4BGRINGO

What steel semi-autos in .40 are out there?

A friend has a CZ75 in .40, black, but I don't want to spend that much. What else is available? I know MAK's let me try his 1911 in .40 once, not sure who made it though. Will have more permits in a month or two and want to start looking. Not interested in polymer stuff unless someone says the gun is fantastic.

Baby eagle is a good option but it will cost ya.

Just bought a Baby Eagle which is way different than my Sig, HK and FNH usual purchases but the gun is a gem. After 42 years of shooting and buying guns I only bought and shot my first polymer gun two years ago. They feel light and like toys in the gun store but insert a 15 or 17 round loaded mag in one and they get solid feeling real fast. They also handle recoil better. I do not know what to recommend for you as you gave no price range. A CZ is considered as an inexpensive good gun and was the least expensive gun I owned when I owned mine. For me the distance to the trigger in DA mode was too long. The Baby Eagle is actually the Jericho 941, a CZ75 clone made by Israeli Weapons Industries which is the privatized version of the government owned IMI. Magnum Research imports them and decided to trade off the Desert Eagle name. They actually just say Desert Eagle on them so everyone calls them Baby eagle to differentiate them from the big and completely different .50 caliber Desert Eagle of movie fame. The Baby Eagle is the gun of the IDF in Israel. It has been produced for over 20 years for the Israeli military and police so you know I is tough and works well.

Fun fact, when they were imported by another company (I think KBI) they were called Uzi pistols or something like that to trade off of the Uzi name. However it was soon discovered that many States who incorporated the previous AWB into their State gun laws had specifically banned any gun with the word "UZI" on it so they changed the name. Right now the Baby Eagle comes in all metal and polymer versions. My strength is less with age so Polymer guns are easier to hold for longer periods of time for me plus I have a pair of all metal Sigs. My SIg P229 DAK in .40 was the only gun that made me enjoy shooting a .40 cal. But you desire for an all metal gun that is not expensive is like saying you want an all leather holster that costs less than a nylon Uncle Mike's. :)

For your budget I would go with either an M&P 40 or Glock 23. I carried the 23 for a year and it is a heck of a gun. The M&P feels better in your hand but I just do not like its trigger. Plus with the Glock I could replace any part in it by myself with no difficulty using a singe punch. I had three different trigger at different weights. I installed extended controls.

I do not know what current prices are but I also highly recommend the FNX-40. Has a hammer and can be used in SA cocked and locked or traditional DA/SA with or without a safety. When I bought my FNX they were going for $550. Metal costs more than polymer so you either pay the admission fee for metal guns or stick with one of many excellent polymer ones. I am sure you can find an inexpensive metal gun but it will not be a popular brand and that is sometimes important when you need a holster, accessories or parts. I always check for available holsters before I buy a gun, especially if you end up wanting to try one of the many fun competitions they have. Just try to find a competition holster for Brand X and you will see what I mean. I learned the hard way. Stick with the big names and life is much better. It really sucks when you cannot find a holster for competition and have to pay for a one off custom one that negates all the savings you had by buying the gun in the first place. Try buying sights for a non mainstream gun. I just learned my lesson and the only reason I bought the Baby Eagle is that it has been around for a long time and it is just a gun I store in my living room gun safe and use to teach new shooters. I will not be buying anything for it so I do not care although it has been around long enough to be able to find some carry holsters but no competition ones can be found by me. They may exists somewhere but not the places I normally buy from. Get a Glock or M&P and you can do anything with it and find whatever you need for it. I never thought I would compete but ended up doing it every weekend. I had to buy another gun because I did not listen to my gun mentor. I had to get that gun I wanted that looked real cool. BTW, if it is just going to be a range and HD gun, consider a 9mm. These days there is little difference between it and a .40 and .45. All those test were done in the old days. You will enjoy shooting it more.

Ignore my advice if you wish as it is worth what you paid for it. My advice is that it is usually cheaper in the long run to save a little longer or spend a little more to get the gun you really want. If not you will end up spending more trying one inexpensive gun after another trying to find a cheap substitute. I would not worry about metal guns lasting longer as polymer is actually a better material for many reasons and even stronger. Plus many people do not keep their first gun and if they do they are not shot much. Most gun owners own about 3 guns according to several polls. I know so many people who agonized over their first gun purchase thinking that it will be their only gun and have to last a long time. Every one of them bought another gun within a year and a third gun within 2 years. Just ask around the forum. No matter what gun you buy, the novelty will wear off and you will be itching to buy another. :)

If you look at Sig, look for the stainless steel models. They are the only all steel sig guns. They can be had now on a nitron coating I believe.

Normal Sigs are alloy and wouldn't be what you want. You could look at STI to make you a steel 1911 chambered in 40.

I have PLENTY of revolvers, and I do not like plastic guns, never owned a Glock and never will. I had a Beretta 96FS but did not like the alloy frame, too light, not an all-steel gun, huge difference to me. There certainly are not many all-steel semis out there from what I see without buying a custom gun, AKA STI. I only use my S&W 610 for USPSA, not buying this one for anything other than a possible occasional speed on steel.

The Baby Eagle is actually the Jericho 941, a CZ75 clone made by Israeli Weapons Industries which is the privatized version of the government owned IMI. Magnum Research imports them and decided to trade off the Desert Eagle name. They actually just say Desert Eagle on them so everyone calls them Baby eagle to differentiate them from the big and completely different .50 caliber Desert Eagle of movie fame. The Baby Eagle is the gun of the IDF in Israel. It has been produced for over 20 years for the Israeli military and police so you know I is tough and works well.

I have the pre Jericho model IWI model in 9mm before they chaged over.

RefinishedAks001.jpg

CZ is pretty cheap, teh witness equivalent will probably shave a couple bucks off.

Maybe the stoeger cougar in .40. It's the same as the old beretta cougar, and cheaper. MSRP is like $450. There's one on gunbroker new for that as buy it now. There's a used cz-74 in .40 for start of $415 with 8 days and no reserve.

I've seen the stoeger for as little as $329

Well, the CZ my buddy got was far from cheap and over my self-imposed limit of $1500. I can't see a sub $500 gun being worth buying either. I have plenty of guns now, just felt like adding something else to the mix.

Sorry but this is a ridiculous statement, there are many guns that fall in the $350.00 to $500.00 range that are excellent range

weapons, and many that fall under excellent CCW. If you think the quality if a firearm is soely dictated by the price then I have a few $3k 1911's I can sell you. Unless your friend purchased a CZ competition class 75 he spent no where near $1500.00 for a standard .40 and if he did he got raped.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/full-size/

The standard CZ Line starts out in the mid 500's and goes up to $700.00 msrp, retail is always cheaper.

My CZ 75SP01 Cost $580.00 OTD from Shore Shot about 5 years back and they dont make them much better then that.

Sorry but this is a ridiculous statement, there are many guns that fall in the $350.00 to $500.00 range that are excellent range

weapons, and many that fall under excellent CCW. If you think the quality if a firearm is soely dictated by the price then I have a few $3k 1911's I can sell you. Unless your friend purchased a CZ competition class 75 he spent no where near $1500.00 for a standard .40 and if he did he got raped.

http://www.cz-usa.co...gory/full-size/

The standard CZ Line starts out in the mid 500's and goes up to $700.00 msrp, retail is always cheaper.

My CZ 75SP01 Cost $580.00 OTD from Shore Shot about 5 years back and they dont make them much better then that.

You obviously have no idea what I am looking for. Yes, my friend bought a custom CZ from their custom shop. I don't see the need to spend that kind of $ for something I don't plan on using much. Maybe you are a fan of Taurus?

You obviously have no idea what I am looking for. Yes, my friend bought a custom CZ from their custom shop. I don't see the need to spend that kind of $ for something I don't plan on using much. Maybe you are a fan of Taurus?

LOL.....

You have been given several great quality options in this thread so no I dont think anyone here knows what you are looking for.

Sounds like you want a steel framed pistol at a price that makes you feel like you purchased something good. Taurus fan no not really

but I know a shit load about all types of weapons and someone who can make a blanket statement like you did shows me you dont.

Good luck with your decision.

Your CZ75SP01 is a 9mm, already have a 9mm, not looking for another, looking for a .40. I will look around for some CZ's, but with the current situation I doubt I will find much of anything. I was looking at the STI's, pretty pricey, but I do like the 1911 platform.

While I would never tell anyone not to get another 1911, how about something a little different. Something not seen much at the range. A Browning Hi-Power in .40.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=338043039

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=338166849