ryan_j

What's your choice for a HD shotgun and why?

I would hate to burst anyones bubble, but if you ever actually have to shoot a shotgun or rifle round in the house you better have ear muffs on. One percussion from either a 12g or a 223 round is gonna be like flash banging yourself without hearing protection.

Yea.. my ears arenty main concern though. My family and thier safety is. Plus the effects should be worst for said intruder. If your really that concerned run a 22lr.. ur low recoil/velocity hg ammo... it does not seem to be so loud

shotgun is good if there is a random mob of zombies you are trying to repel I guess..

I look at it just the opposite. Mossberg 500 (8 + 1, night sight) by my bed, AR-15 to fend off a herd of zombies. I'm thinking that 00 buckshot is quite effective at short range, while the AR-15 is good for protecting the perimeter. I guess it could be simpler to use the latter for both.

I would hate to burst anyones bubble, but if you ever actually have to shoot a shotgun or rifle round in the house you better have ear muffs on. One percussion from either a 12g or a 223 round is gonna be like flash banging yourself without hearing protection.

I would rather lose half my hearing than have to live with my wife or daughters being killed, raped or kidnapped. The gun is always last resort. Always.

I shot my carbine without hearing protection is an enclosed area... not completely enclosed like a home... but enclosed non the less.. it was loud.. and my ears range for quite some time after.. but I wanted to get an idea of just how bad it would be... to be honest I think the addition of adrenaline would negate some of the immediate effects you are describing.. and as others pointed out.. better to have hearing damage than be dead... further its not like ANY gun inside is going to be a pleasant experience..

I look at it just the opposite. Mossberg 500 (8 + 1, night sight) by my bed, AR-15 to fend off a herd of zombies. I'm thinking that 00 buckshot is quite effective at short range, while the AR-15 is good for protecting the perimeter. I guess it could be simpler to use the latter for both.

to me.. a typical shotgun round has too much mass for interior... at the short distances in a home it is like a solid chunk of lead.. ALL rounds have potential for over penetration damage.. but a 556 round has a very minimal amount of mass so it loses the ability to cause damage as it hits things...

here is a graph showing penetration after hitting an interior wall... you will notice ALL rounds are still capable of damage.. but only a handful fall short of the 12in of penetration... (FBI calls for a min of 12in of penetration).... so typically inside it is ideal to use something that makes less than that once going through a wall.. SURE the person on the other side may still be seriously hurt.. but 20in of penetration will do a lot more damage than 7in...

2100in6.jpg

Nothing wrong with anything previously suggested. But there is only one shotgun for me. AK action with an external MAGAZINE.

Re load a tube ?? NO way. Pumping sounds are scary?? Nah.

This is a question of mechanics and technology as in external magazine.

I use a Remington 870 Express Tactical with Ghost Ring Sights, tri-rail and tactical light with pressure switch on the pump and a 5 round butt sleeve. I actually alternate the ammo. I use 00 buck, slug, 00 buck, slug, etc etc. You can always rack out the round that you don't want to use.

I've shot a .30-06 bolt action in the SCFGPA enclosed rifle tube without muffs (accidentally) and while uncomfortable I was still in control of my faculties and I'm confident it would not drastically reduce my capabilities if I was scared for my families lives.

Remington 870 Tactical. 18.5" barrel, with tactical choke, Ghost Sights, Magpul'd out, Federal Law Enforcement 2 3/4 00 Buckshot. Backed up by my M&P 9. Got mine at Dicks for $450. Can't beat it.