mipafox

Cop Coffee

I know many of you either carry under permits or off duty in other states.<br>

Anybody ever run into Cop Coffee? I've been given free coffee a couple times and I know people and have also read on the web about people getting free coffee simply because they had a gun.

There is one place near me that has polystyrene foam cups next to a sign that says "For Cops Only." I asked about it a couple times. Finally, I got the answer from the owner's wife, and she said their young employees were giving out coffee to anyone that had a gun so they decided to make customers grab a special cup if they are cops to make things easier.

Now, the two times I received cop coffee were years ago, and I had no idea it happened until the third time they tried. So don't blame me for trying to sneak my way into some sort of government right as a mere prole. I don't claim any of those rights.

How many of our expeditionary friends here have run into this weird little carry quirk?

It happens all the time...I just throw the value of the freebie in the tip cup so I feel like I am paying for it. I am not going to argue about it. Just take the tip. Oh and I would never take a cup from the cop only stack. I would feel like a douche. I do know a lot of people that would

Years ago, my family owned a couple of Deli's in central NJ (Middlesex County) and we always gave LEO's free coffee and a big discount on their food.  Not because we felt like we had to, but because we wanted to.  It was more out of respect for the LEO's and their profession and also because they always kept an extra eye out for our stores.  On a couple of occassions our stores got broken into during the middle of the night and both times the burglars were caught in the act.  We didn't even have an alarm in the store... but the cops were always watching out for our stores.

It happens all the time...I just throw the value of the freebie in the tip cup so I feel like I am paying for it. I am not going to argue about it. Just take the tip. Oh and I would never take a cup from the cop only stack. I would feel like a douche. I do know a lot of people that would

So much sense made in so few words. Pretty much a sure sign of principles and integrity. Not cop integrity, just the plain old kind.

Tipping the same amount as the cup is pretty standard..the take and walk away thing is very douchey..store owner told me once that he did the coffee thing because he liked the conversation with the cops and having uniforms in his store all day ensured no rif-raf..plus he would give his daily intel report about things going on in the neighborhood..good ol fashioned community policing

Will attending college for criminal justice/criminology I was told by some of my neighborhood LEOs to join the Auxilary Police. Mainly because it looks good on resumes and for reference calls. Plus it gave you some academy time. While in the academy we would draw straws on who goes to get the coffee. I lost and had to take the trip. I was in BDUs and honestly it didnt dawn on me when the guy handed me the "box o' joe" and said, "have a good night". I stood there with my hand extended with the money we all threw in. He said "no its on the house" ...right in the tip jar it went.

A few years ago there was an incident down the street from my highschool (the Quick Check in Rockaway) where a town cop ordered six sandwiches or something to that effect and kinda just left the store expecting them to be free. The employees called 911 to report it as theft I think. 

A few years ago there was an incident down the street from my highschool (the Quick Check in Rockaway) where a town cop ordered six sandwiches or something to that effect and kinda just left the store expecting them to be free. The employees called 911 to report it as theft I think.

lol..what a douche

i see cops in my town getting free coffee at wawa all the time. i don't think theres anything wrong with them taking it and not tipping, after all its just an 80 cent cup of coffee.

on the other hand, i've gotten tips at work that were outrageously uncalled for. i hate taking them and always try to refuse but the customers who offer will never take no for an answer. one guy gave me 20 bucks just for putting his radio code in for him.. so i guess i do understand feeling bad about taking it.

lol..what a douche

That is not a douche, that is a criminal. I don't know much about NJ laws but I am going to assume you could not use deadly force to prevent him from leaving the scene, but I'll also hazard a guess you could use non-deadly force to achieve that objective.

I once went to the local 7/11 with a buddy of mine who's OTJ and who's been going there for years; they never let me pay for coffee again, even though I told them I wasn't law enforcement.

I always left them a buck or two on the counter (no tip jar).

I was going to stir the pot (get it) but decided against it. But what in the hell kind of convenience stores do you all frequent where there's a "tip jar"? I've seen many charity donation boxes and such but never have I seen a store with a tip jar. At a convenience store you are not being waited on or served, so what would be the purpose of a tip?

I was going to stir the pot (get it) but decided against it. But what in the hell kind of convenience stores do you all frequent where there's a "tip jar"? I've seen many charity donation boxes and such but never have I seen a store with a tip jar. At a convenience store you are not being waited on or served, so what would be the purpose of a tip?

Starbucks has a tip jar

This is what I used to do in that situation. Most of store owners and places to eat where they give cops discounts or freebies are not looking for anything.  They do it for reasons NJdiverTony stated. Working midnights there was only one decent diner open all night.  Free coffee and free meals.  Leave a tip the cost of the meal, you're covered the server is happy, and the manager is happy.