Noobist

Eighteen day wait period to get my gun?

Hey guys,

First time gun buyer here, i finally got everything completed and went to purchase a gun. The place I bought it at, upon completing the transaction and everything, told me I have to wait 18 days until I can come pick it up. Every one I talked to has no idea why that is and was always able to walk out with their new piece upon buying it. Any info as to why?

Your waiting for the "National Instant Criminal Background Check System" (or NICS) to come back which right now is being delayed at least 2x weeks. Some I know have waited less some more. I just went through two of them and I had to wait 15 days for each.

Welcome aboard, but you need to read up on the plethora of info already stated here regarding said question just posted by your first initial post on day one of your presence here. Get that? ;)

Hey guys,

First time gun buyer here, i finally got everything completed and went to purchase a gun. The place I bought it at, upon completing the transaction and everything, told me I have to wait 18 days until I can come pick it up. Every one I talked to has no idea why that is and was always able to walk out with their new piece upon buying it. Any info as to why?

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

The NJSP's version of the National Instant Check System has not been able to effectively convert to the digital age once their 900 toll number expired. So now all of the NICS checks are being sent via fax. With the backlog of firearms sales since Newtown, the regression to a less efficient processing method, and whatever other excuses being thrown at the wall are the reasoning for an extremely long wait time.  Six months ago, this was surely not the case for NICS in NJ

Thank you guys on the quick replies!

Welcome aboard, but you need to read up on the plethora of info already stated here regarding said question just posted by your first initial post on day one of your presence here. Get that? ;)

Typos courtesy Apple...

My apologies, I did a quick search but couldn't find anything. Definitely will dig deeper next time!

What gun did you get BTW? Fill out your profile with location, range etc. The folks here are very friendly and will help you with anything you need. Just do yourself a favor and get familiar with the search function and also start reading the old threads.

We should get a dollar off of the NICS check for each day it is late.  18 days... free.

Hey I wish I only had to wait 18 days, you are lucky in this stupid state.  You are not impacted by OGAM, which is sort of like the alternative minimum tax which hits some folks.  OGAM stands for one gun a month.  I just bought a gun Saturday and have to wait till June 13th still I can even start the NICS process as that will be 31 days from my last purchase.  NJ sucks!

The NJSP's version of the National Instant Check System has not been able to effectively convert to the digital age once their 900 toll number expired. So now all of the NICS checks are being sent via fax. With the backlog of firearms sales since Newtown, the regression to a less efficient processing method, and whatever other excuses being thrown at the wall are the reasoning for an extremely long wait time.  Six months ago, this was surely not the case for NICS in NJ

Well why is that? I truly turned the ear away from people when they said that we lived in the republic of NJ. Yeah there are the limitations in the arms we can purchase... But we chose to live here.... I say suck it up or simply move out.... However now, it appears that this system isn't adapting to the demand or current demand it's citizens are asking of them. Seems hardly fair as most are at par to the 21st century. Guess, this is where it seems the priority is....

...and how did this turn into a political debate already? Simple question....

Typos courtesy Apple...

What gun did you get BTW? Fill out your profile with location, range etc. The folks here are very friendly and will help you with anything you need. Just do yourself a favor and get familiar with the search function and also start reading the old threads.

Got a Kimber Super Carry Custom HD. Really pumped! Ever since firing my friends 1911 I knew I wanted one. I'm excited that I found this forum, been looking for a good one. I did a quick search but didn't come up with much; I think because I was searching for an eighteen day wait when most posts had them at fourteen. Will definitely fill out my profile ASAP!

Welcome

Dunno where you are located but check out the Ranges subforum to get some ideas on where to go shooting:  http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/forum/60-ranges-gun-shops/

A new range that opened up near me: Gun For Hire on Mcbride ave in woodland park will probably be the first I check out since its so close but also new.

Silent patriot,

I agree, a dollar should be deducted for each day longer, As a matter of fact,  people should be reimbursed a dollar a day for each day over the fee amount. And see, not a mention of politics. Almost 3 months and waiting...