New Jersey's Premier Second Amendment Organization ~ Defending Freedom Since 1936

SENATE PASSES REMAINING GUN BILLS

Fails to Include Easy Fixes on Gun Owner Issues

Many Bills Now Move Back to the Assembly for Concurrence

Today (May 30), the New Jersey State Senate passed its remaining package of 10 gun bills in a largely partisan vote, following procedural delays and additional committee hearings since the last Senate voting session on May 13. Many of the bills in the entire legislative package passed by the Senate this month will now move back to the Assembly for concurrence with changes made in the Senate, and whatever passes the Assembly will then move to the Governor's office.

There may be new Assembly committee hearings on some of the bills passed by the Senate before the full Assembly votes on the entire bill package in June. We do not anticipate that the Governor will take action before July on any of the bills that reach his desk.

Absent from today's Senate agenda were simple, easy fixes to longstanding issues that have plagued law-abiding gun owners, which ANJRPC has been pressing for months. These include an "Aitken's Law” concept (to prevent law-abiding gun owners from being turned into criminals for hypertechnical transportation violations); enforcement of the 30-day permit issuance deadline already required by law but ignored by permitting authorities; and extension of handgun permits to one year. We will continue to press for these fixes to be added to the legislative package of gun bills.

Here are the bills that passed the Senate today:

S2723 (Throws out existing FID cards & replaces with driver license endorsement or other form of ID; suspends Second Amendment rights without proof of firearms training, including for all current handgun owners; imposes 7-day waiting period for handgun purchases; ends all private sales; effectively creates a registry of ammunition purchases and long gun sales; additional impacts.)

S2178 (Bans fifty caliber and similar firearms. The current version was amended to make the bill effective immediately – specifically to prevent law-abiding citizens with pending orders for these firearms from taking possession of them. Grandfathering of those who already own these firearms has been added – but the guns must be registered, and owners could have civil liability if the firearm is used in a crime. This bill impacts firearms with a muzzle energy of 12,000 ft-pounds, even if under .50 caliber, and possibly other firearms. Gun bans like this are based on the false, unsupportable idea that society will be safer if one particular tool is removed, which fails to recognize that someone intent on doing ev il will not be stopped or deterred merely because one particular tool is not available.)

S2485 (Suspends Second Amendment rights of U.S. citizens based on a secret government list – no due process. Ignores the presumption of innocence to which all U.S. citizens are entitled. Can be abused by government officials to ban guns to demonized classes of law abiding citizens, including military veterans and gun owners.)

A3717 (Submits mental health records to NICS – no stated requirement of due process, despite repeated requests since February.)

S2467 / S2471 (Prohibits investment of state pension funds in companies tied to manufacturers, importers, or sellers of so-called "assault” firearms for civilian use.).

S2804 (Makes possession of firearms a first degree crime for those previously convicted of serious crimes or engaged in commission of a serious crime. This bill targets violent criminals in possession of guns. During committee testimony, ANJRPC urged legislators to add a corollary "Aitken's Law” provision to protect law-abiding gun owners from severe unintended consequences of NJ gun law generally, but they declined to do so).

S1133 (Significantly enhances bail requirements for certain gun crimes. As originally written, carried potential for extreme unintended consequences against law-abiding gun owners. Committee amendments were added in response to ANJRPC testimony to preclude this possibility – enhanced bail requirements now only apply to those engaged in, or previously convicted of, serious crimes.)

S1279 (Increases the penalty for unlawful transfer of a firearm to a minor from third to second degree. As originally written, carried potential for extreme unintended consequences against law-abiding gun owners. Committee amendments were added in response to ANJRPC testimony to ensure that temporary transfers to minors for instruction and training were exempted. Existing law would already exempt temporary transfers for target practice and competition.)

S2801 (Increases the statute of limitations for prosecution of theft of a firearm from 5 to 10 years).

S2552 (Would protect private identity information of individual gun owners from public disclosure.)

The one about the .50 cals especially affects me since I have one waiting on the nics right now.

S2723 (Throws out existing FID cards & replaces with driver license endorsement or other form of ID; suspends Second Amendment rights without proof of firearms training, including for all current handgun owners; imposes 7-day waiting period for handgun purchases; ends all private sales; effectively creates a registry of ammunition purchases and long gun sales; additional impacts.)

What do you guys think this means? I m thinking a ban on Internet ammo sales. Sounds like all ammo sales would have to go they an FFL to be documented. This one scares me more than the others. This one will cost everyone money for training, transfers, and the new I'd card will never be free.

Regarding S2723:

Are you sure the training class applies to current FID holders?

The "safety" course sounds like a classroom course with no shooting involved.

My local PD has to affix the endorsement to my DL for my FID and every handgun permit.  So a guy like Maks would get about 100 endorsements on his DL?  How we track how many HG permits are left? 

Regarding S2723:

Are you sure the training class applies to current FID holders?

The "safety" course sounds like a classroom course with no shooting involved.

My local PD has to affix the endorsement to my DL for my FID and every handgun permit.  So a guy like Maks would get about 100 endorsements on his DL?  How we track how many HG permits are left? 

No. You would no longer have an FPID card, it would be a part of your DL. P2P still separate. 

The seven day thing is about as stupid as they can get. Even if it made any sense for a first time purchaser, what purpose does it do to make me wait seven days to get a gun if I already own several others?  Don't they understand if I wanted to do something in the "heat of the moment" I could you use my other weapons?   Idiots, they are idiots.  Maybe it is something in the water in Trenton.

I have some concerns about A3717. Does this mean ALL records will be submitted, or just those who were ordered by the courts to receive treatment? If it's all records, get ready for people on even the smallest dose of anti-anxiety meds or anything even REMOTELY considered a "mental illness" to be denied. Of course, it's all for the chilluns, so screw our natural rights.

The new law requires that NICS be instant

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bills/S3000/2723_I2.PDF

6. (New section) a. Not later than the first day of the 25th 
month following the effective date of this act, the Attorney General 
shall develop and implement a system that allows a retail dealer of 
firearms to instantly determine, through the use of the information 
embedded in a prospective firearms purchaser’s driver’s license or 
identification card, whether that purchaser is qualified and eligible 
to purchase a firearm

Like they're ever going to be held to that.

S2723 passed 23/17.

It takes 27 votes in the NJ Senate (and 54 votes in the NJ General Assembly) to override a Governor's veto.

The Republicans in the NJ Senate voted the way they did because Christie wanted them to vote the way they did.  He's not going to tell his own Republicans to vote against a bill, and then sign it. Certainly not in an election year.

Does anyone have all the vote totals? That might give us some idea of what he'll sign and what he'll veto.

All these bills are complete BS. They will do NOTHING to stop crime or gang-bangers from killing each other.

What happens to my current FID card? Will it now be void? I do not want my firearms info on my driver's license. It appears it is just another "fee" to get us to renew every four years with fingerprint/background checks.

When will the NRA or NJ2AS or someone step up with the lawsuites to stop these unconstitutional laws??!?!?

This the worst of the bills:

the 7 day wait is a "cool down period" like California. Permit would be needed, filled out when you purchased, then you pick up your firearm 7 days later.

In a state like ours where one often needs to wait months for bureaucrats to get around to doing the paperwork, this is absurd.  Will the seven days be absorbed in the wait for the permits to be approved, or will this be an additional purgatory?

i sure as hell hope so. in theory, my nics wait should be done by this coming friday. i REALLY don't want to go to pick up my gun, and be told i gotta wait ANOTHER 7 days........it's already been nearly seven farking months between p2p, and nics now.........