Shawnmoore81

Got another ar. Now what

I got a call today from someone wanting to sell their ar. It's an m&p-15 with some magpul accessories. It was a price I couldn't pass up. Now I already have an ar but its a sig 516 and I've been kicking around a few ideas on another ar.

#1 keep it as is but add a scope.

#2 buy a .300 blackout barrel. (Which I really want just ammo is nowhere)

#3 make it the ar my students use. Puts less wear and tear on mine

#4 shoot it a couple times and sell it

Normally the .300 is the way to go but I really don't think that ammo will be around anytime soon

Assuming you are running a business where you are charging ppl for training lessons, #3.  Write it off as a business expense on your taxes.  

I also agree .300 blackout ammo isn't gona be readily available anytime soon, and if I was gona scope an AR it would be a precision build, not an MP-15.  

edited post, got the # wrong first time around

#2 and start reloading so ammo won't be a concern

Caveat being that components are still somewhat hard to find.

I have reloading equipment but its easier for me to get ammo then reloading supplies so I haven't bothered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have reloading equipment but its easier for me to get ammo then reloading supplies so I haven't bothered.

lol 

obviously its not easier if you can't find 300 BLK.. keep that whole upper the way that it is... then just build another 300 BLK upper.. now the AR is dual purpose.. use that S&W upper on it to teach.. and use the 300 BLK for your own use... 

win win win.. 

A twist to vladtepes suggestion...Use it for the class, then, if the 300BLK becomes more plentiful, convert it once you squirrel away a couple thousand rounds...again, a win - win!

I personally have a hard time selling a gun...most guys you talk to say "yea, I had one of those, and I never should have sold it"

If it was s can't pass up price, it's likely not easily replaced at the Price you paid. So keep it for whatever the reason. Maybe the reason for having it will be obvious over time.

Does there really be a need to have another gun.

I got a greeeat price. I didn't haggle either. He said a price and I said yes. I know the owner. He doesn't have a range membership. Only went once with me so we are talking 100 rounds though it. I didn't need it but it was to good to pass up.

I don't even bother trying to separate them. The factory tube on a nj compliant rifle is usually longer and has solid metal in the end. To I just replace in one shot. The vltor tubes are very well made. I installed 2 today and both went on smoothly.