vmastro87

Humane way to kill an injured chipmunk

My puppy got her paws on a chipmunk yesterday. Unfortunately she did not kill it she just broke its back while playing with it and by the time i got outside he was just pulling himself with his front legs. I tried calling animal control, but they don't answer on the weekends and by the time i got back outside he had pulled himself i think under my deck because i could not find him any where nor could my dog. My question is had i found it does anyone have any suggestions besides a firearm that is a humane way of putting the poor thing out of its misery just in case i do find him or this happens again.

Thanks 

Well, when I first hunted upland game (pheasant, quail, etc) our guide took the couple of birds that weren't dead yet and snapped their necks. Seemed to work immediately.

Or you could do like we did with poultry on a farm I used to visit: cut it's throat (with a REALLY sharp knife) making sure to cut through the neck veins/arteries. Sounds rough, but that kind of loss of blood = instant unconsciousness, so it won't feel anything after a second.

Sucks for the little guy if he's still alive and suffering. Hope you find him.

Transport the injured animal and it's closest relatives,along with any confused squirrels to Belgium where humane euthanasia is legal and carried out in a calming environment replete with soothing colored walls,piped in music and a fully trained staff of grief counselors who speak rodent.

For Christ sakes man.....just snap it's neck.

Transport the injured animal and it's closest relatives,along with any confused squirrels to Belgium where humane euthanasia is legal and carried out in a calming environment replete with soothing colored walls,piped in music and a fully trained staff of grief counselors who speak rodent.

For Christ sakes man.....just snap it's neck.

lol do you know which airline i can could use? lol ok i get it

Got, if this happen to me my GF would have made a back brace for the poor little guy and breast fed him nursing him back to health. She hasn't meant an injured animal that she doesn't think she can save.

Once she found 3 baby squirrels after her dog killed one of them and I had to take the thing to an animal refuge. It cast me a 45 minute drive both ways and a $40 "donation".

Hookers and Blow

Let it go out like a Rock Star.

Got, if this happen to me my GF would have made a back brace for the poor little guy and breast fed him nursing him back to health. She hasn't meant an injured animal that she doesn't think she can save.

Once she found 3 baby squirrels after her dog killed one of them and I had to take the thing to an animal refuge. It cast me a 45 minute drive both ways and a $40 "donation".

Thats what i was afraid was gonna happen when my wife saw it that she make me preform surgery or sometihng on him lol. I really like the hookers and blow recomendation

Also you should call your local health department and complain about animal control not being available on the weekends as this is in direct violation of state law. Every municipality is required to have an animal control officer on call at all times day, night or weekend.

I once read a story of a GF making her BF get up early in the morning to get the worms that were drying out on the driveway back into the soil,.  Now that's messed up.

I once rad a story of a GF making her BF get up early in the morning to get the worms that were drying out on the driveway back into the soil,.  Now that's messed up.

If my GF did that she'd be the one getting whacked over the head with a shovel.

While I agree with all the "step on it's head/Whack with shovel",  this IS a gun forum -- pull out your .22 and pop it!  Jeez...  I shoot the crap out of them all the time.  

this is probably the quickest and most humane way to deal with this problem.  But is it legal?  I mean if I saw one in my backyard, by the time I find out if I can legally shoot it, it's taking too much time and the thing is suffering. I am almost positive it would be illegal in my town since I have neighbors less than 100 feet all around me.

I would smash its head with my boot.

If you don't want chipmunk cooties on your boot, you can put it in a bucket and then throw in a pot of boiling water. Heat is a very effective way of instantly killing small animals, wherever they are, even if you can't quite get to them. Being so small, their body temperature goes through the roof instantly.

I once read a story of a GF making her BF get up early in the morning to get the worms that were drying out on the driveway back into the soil,.  Now that's messed up.

I participate on a large culinary forum where just about every week during the summer someone would ask for a humane way to dispatch crabs and lobsters, usually because they believe it hurts the poor dears and that's why they're "screaming" in the steamer.

Then after several recommendations for freezing them or letting them expire naturally,I would have to remind the poster that they are basically large aquatic bugs with excellent PR and very basic nervous system. So a sharp chef's knife or a large steamer is all that is necessary.

I participate on a large culinary forum where just about every week during the summer someone would ask for a humane way to dispatch crabs and lobsters, usually because they believe it hurts the poor dears and that's why they're "screaming" in the steamer.

Then after several recommendations for freezing them or letting them expire naturally,I would have to remind the poster that they are basically large aquatic bugs with excellent PR and very basic nervous system. So a sharp chef's knife or a large steamer is all that is necessary.

I watched them stab a Lobster through the head on Master Chef last week and you could see the life go out of it's eyes, it actually really bummed me out. For the rest of the night it put me in a weird mood, I actually had to go spend time with my dog after.