Sign in to follow this  
jrfly3006

SupernovaTac, Mossy 500 Tac or Rem 870 Tac

Just looking for a HD shotty (pump) want a pistol grip and ghost sights., narrowed it down to Bennelli Supernova Tac, Mossy 500 Tac or Rem 870 express Tac.. I value the opinions here so fire away!

Edit..Im also an Ithaca 37 defense guy but not many new ones around and the one year warranty a bit suspect to me

Try 'em out, see which one you're more comfortable with.

Most noticeable difference is the location of the safety.  Mossbergs use a Tang safety at the top rear of the gun.  Remington 870 and Benelli Supernova use regular button safeties on the trigger guard.

I love my Supernova...been very reliable for me so far...  While I plan to add more shotguns, including a 870P and 590, the guns I think about getting the most are Benellis...namely an M2, M3, and another Supernova. 

My Supernova has the open rifle sights, which I prefer, and I added a Nordic +2, tube clamp, and follower to mine for 7+1 capacity of 2 3/4".  I also have an Olight M20x light clamped onto mine...  It is a fun, comfortable gun to shoot, and despite having an 18.5" barrel, it did just fine for clays this past weekend.  It's handled everything I've thrown at it, from target loads through 3 1/2" magnum loads and 3" magnum slugs. 

Only thing to be aware of is the Supernovas are 3 1/2" chambers, so people not used to this may short stroke the gun...I've really never had this issue...

Rem 870 and Mossy 500 series will have more accessories available - so if you want a second 28" barrel, those will be readily available for cheap...Benelli barrels are $$$ (some are nearly the price of a used Nova with a long barrel...)  Same goes for aftermarket stocks, shell holders, etc...but I love the Benellis I've handled and shot...and I don't need any more tacticool accessories than what I have on my gun now...

This is right on. They are all respectable pump action shotguns, and you can't go wrong with any of them. Most people who put down a 870, 500 or 590 probably own one of them and act like they are being protective of their child. They all rock, that's the bottom line.

Give them all a handle at the store and make sure you play with the controls. Some people don't like the safety placement on this one or that one. Main this is repetitive practice with whichever one you get.

Now in my opinion, the 870 Tactical is the way to go. Add a speedfeed stock to get the extra four rounds, as well as a 2" rail with Streamlight TLR 1 HL and you are good to go...

I have a 500 and an 870. A buddy has a super nova. You cant go wrong with any of them. Just remember that the 870 is the civic of shotguns. The aftermarket makes everything for it. You are welcome to try any of mine out.

I've shot all 4 more "Modern" shotguns (870, 500, 590, Supernova) and my favorite is the Supernova..and this is coming from an old 870 guy.  I Lucked out and got my Supernova off the used rack at Cabelas, but it impressed me so much i just matched it with an M-2  A lot depends on whether or not you want to Tacticool it out or not...there just aren't the number of Doodads available for the Benelli as there are for the Remington and Mossberg, but the Benelli is a good, solid gun, and the more i played with it the more i liked that magazine cutoff button.  As someone else said though.  Try all of them, find the one that fits YOU..and screw what anyone else says you"Should" get.

Thanks for all the info fellas(and gracious offers to try out your guns)..I truly value your help..

Here's where I' m at,

I use a 870P at work with pistol grip stock and am very familiar with it..it's pretty durable and easy to shoot but at my price point $500 area I won't come near the Police models..not saying the 870 Express Tac isn't durable..just not as " beefy" as the P model..

I've never handled a 500 or 590 but there seems to be a lot to like.., price,warranty,features and warranty are enticing..Steve at Monmouth arms offered to come in and handle the 590 he has in stock so I should take him up on that soon..

I just seem to be infatuated with these Bennellis for some reason(thanks KPD for making me jealous with that M2 )..I love the feel...they are easy to maneuver and point..feel pretty durbable..pricing is pretty decent(finding a dealer and availability isn't easy) and all the features I would ever need on a HD gun I can find on the market (pistol grip stock, mag extension, light mount, ghost sights and ammo saddle) ..parts and service would be the only issue for me as these aren't as popular as the Remmy and Mossy

So it looks like I'll toil over this for a little while before "pulling the trigger"..PICS will be up when I find my baby..

as already hammered down here. you just have to try all models listed. I prefer the safety position of the Mossberg. I like the forend grip on the 870. you already stated you tried the pistol grip shotty so that's good otherwise i'd steer you away from that initially. I've seen more than a few guys lose control of the grip on the gun when firing it. saw a guy have the gun jump up and smack him in the face he got 7 stitches above his lip. lol! there's a ton of aftermarket  parts for the 870 and the 500 so i'd stay in that direction. will say that the benellis are NICE. call around the gun shops and see what they have on there USED racks. you may find a gem for a good price and you can build it the way YOU want it.

I own a SUPERNOVA , & MOSSBERGS 500 & 930 If I were to own only one it would be the MOSSY 500 or the REM 870 reason being if you wanted an extra barrel to extend the use of your gun the 500 & 870 barrels around $100 - $150 range the BENELLI well over $200.

I shoot lefty and I like the safety on the Mossberg's. I have never shot or even held the Benelli so I have no comments. The 870 you can change the safety but out of the box its not great for lefties. So i recently bought a 500 and put a bunch of aftermarket stuff on it. I really like it and for the price I think I paid $349. or $329. I think its a great gun.

I own a SUPERNOVA , & MOSSBERGS 500 & 930 If I were to own only one it would be the MOSSY 500 or the REM 870 reason being if you wanted an extra barrel to extend the use of your gun the 500 & 870 barrels around $100 - $150 range the BENELLI well over $200.

You get what you pay for though! Ask any northern shotgunner at our Clinton meets not one of my Benellis has ever had a problem semi or pump the rem and mossy do though. Not dissing them just sayin you get what you pay for :)

You get what you pay for though! Ask any northern shotgunner at our Clinton meets not one of my Benellis has ever had a problem semi or pump the rem and mossy do though. Not dissing them just sayin you get what you pay for :)

Hmmmmm maybe not your Benelli but I believe there are a few pics of some jam clearing on a Benelli :p

Get a 930 clean and lube it and don't look back;)

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

Hmmmmm maybe not your Benelli but I believe there are a few pics of some jam clearing on a Benelli :p

Get a 930 clean and lube it and don't look back;)

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

Says the kid who jammed twice two feet from me last meet =P

And I took his Benelli apart to show him how to take it apart cause he didn't know just to clear that deceitful rumor :)

Thanks for all the info fellas(and gracious offers to try out your guns)..I truly value your help..

Here's where I' m at,

I use a 870P at work with pistol grip stock and am very familiar with it..it's pretty durable and easy to shoot but at my price point $500 area I won't come near the Police models..not saying the 870 Express Tac isn't durable..just not as " beefy" as the P model..

I've never handled a 500 or 590 but there seems to be a lot to like.., price,warranty,features and warranty are enticing..Steve at Monmouth arms offered to come in and handle the 590 he has in stock so I should take him up on that soon..

I just seem to be infatuated with these Bennellis for some reason(thanks KPD for making me jealous with that M2 )..I love the feel...they are easy to maneuver and point..feel pretty durbable..pricing is pretty decent(finding a dealer and availability isn't easy) and all the features I would ever need on a HD gun I can find on the market (pistol grip stock, mag extension, light mount, ghost sights and ammo saddle) ..parts and service would be the only issue for me as these aren't as popular as the Remmy and Mossy

So it looks like I'll toil over this for a little while before "pulling the trigger"..PICS will be up when I find my baby..

it was pure Luck....i had resigned myself to just getting a 930 for 3 gun, because i Couldnt find an M2 Tactical for under $1200, then a guy from one of the LE forums was looking to get rid of his M2 for $850. I think had PM'ed him almost before he finished his post.