jauslong

What could have been done? re: Millburn Home Invasion

"Perimeter Security" means you should know when someone sets foot on your property, not when they open a door or window. When the terminology is used the latter way, it is for the alarm system.

A pair of dogs is best. A few wireless driveway alarms don't hurt. They don't alarm on dogs and cats, but will on deer. So not many false alarms. IP cameras have settings to monitor areas you choose with a motion sensitivity that you can test and adjust.

Nobody should be able to kick in your doors. Or, for that matter, get inside by bumping the locks.

Police should be notified if doors or windows are opened or broken at night when set to do so. Regardless of whether or not they can do anything about it where you live.

Be armed. Even if you have three of the four above covered, and have a gun nearby, there are circumstances under which you could be tricked into opening a door or going outside. You are not going to carry your handgun/shotgun/rifle to the door in your hand and you are not going to keep it in your hand when you are convinced you have a reasonably necessary reason to open the door or go outside. You will put it down. Nobody opens a door with a gun in their hand. If you were going to do that, you wouldn't open the door. Unless you plan to intimidate someone.

This is a very important point. A home invasion is not a burglar unintentionally encountering a homeowner where the burglar will flee as long as they have an escape route. The invader doesn't care you are there and has already made a decision to do you harm.

Its easy to claim you will always stay in Condition Yellow and always be vigilant. However, even Jeff Cooper admitted going to Condition White at times. This is where people like cops, experienced combat troops, firefighters, emts, and some others have an advantage. They have a lot of experience having to go from Condition White to Red directly. Most people just don't have to do this. You can be the best. competition shooter going but that has absolutely no relation to how you'll do in a fight. Force on force training can help to an extent but is still far from the real thing.

Or if you grew up in a rough neighborhood...I saw my older brother and his friend get jumped by a gange of kids...My brother got off easy with a few punches to the face, his friend was held by two others and the a third person broke his nose with a baseball bat...I was 12 years old at the time. And there was plenty more violance in the nieghborhood in the years to come...Not afganistan, but it leaves a big impression and the knowledge of knowing of what people are capable of...I bring this up because there are many out there who have never seen any violance up close and have no clue what the human species is capable of...I have many friends - "professional" types that live in Condition: La-La-Land when it comes to this (many of these people can't understand why you need a gun for HD)...Good luck with your peper-spray Mr and Ms La-La!

i have a pittie mix.. i have an alarm system... i have firearms in multiple rooms.  i actually disagree with mipa when he says that you wont go to answer a door with a gun in your hand.  I have done that a number of times, especially if i know its not Fedex or UPS (during the day only).  OR, conversely, i have purposely not answered the door (especially after dark) because we dont get random visitors.  ever...  and i keep all doors locked at all times.  home or not home. 

i have a pittie mix.. i have an alarm system... i have firearms in multiple rooms.  i actually disagree with mipa when he says that you wont go to answer a door with a gun in your hand.  I have done that a number of times, especially if i know its not Fedex or UPS (during the day only).  OR, conversely, i have purposely not answered the door (especially after dark) because we dont get random visitors.  ever...  and i keep all doors locked at all times.  home or not home. 

Have you had a gun every single time you have answered your door?

I have.

If you carry one in your hand every time you do, word will get around that you are a whackjob. If word doesn't get around that you are a whackjob, then you aren't carrying that gun in your hand when you might actually need it. Opening a door can't possibly always end with one hand behind the door and, "Go away." At some point, you are either unarmed or you are waving a gun around.

I have run into some weird stuff. People selling things and/or scamming that said they were on the highschool team with my my neighbor's kids. And knew their names. And my name. Because they scammed them before they came to my house.

Are you going to be waving your gun around when some young men convince you they are on a team with your neighbor's kids? Are you going to refuse to open your door under every possible situation when somebody knocks uninvited? What if it is a neighbor's kid that says they need help?

What if there is a woman with two kids in front of your house with a blowout and people are honking the horn and they are running around like idiots? Are you going to shack up inside your house and peek through windows?

People that want to victimize you aren't going to stop by and say, "I have an offer of $6 million US Dollars from our account in Nigeria. Please for opening the door."

And you aren't going to refuse to open your door or go outside every single time it should be a good idea to only do so armed. And you won't be carrying a gun in your hand when you should.

Getting people to open the door is the primary home invasion threat, and it's headed towards a leading simple robbery technique. Because they will know where you are, can guess you probably don't have a gun, certainly don't have a chance to run for one, and if there is anybody else there you will probably yell out a warning. So they can decide whether to disengage or use you as a hostage. What's the downside?

Be armed. Even if you have three of the four above covered, and have a gun nearby, there are circumstances under which you could be tricked into opening a door or going outside. You are not going to carry your handgun/shotgun/rifle to the door in your hand and you are not going to keep it in your hand when you are convinced you have a reasonably necessary reason to open the door or go outside. You will put it down. Nobody opens a door with a gun in their hand. If you were going to do that, you wouldn't open the door. Unless you plan to intimidate someone.

are you saying you should be armed, or you shouldn't have a gun on hand?  This paragraph read funny to me.

I keep a pair of Chow rescues around.  They sound the alarm if anyone gets within 75 feet of the house (which is rather annoying when it is the mailman every day).

As was said on page 1 - Krav Maga is quite useful training for anyone.  I don't care how big you are.  A knee to the groin will drop you like a sack of potatoes, as will a sharp blow to the temple, throat, solar plexus, etc.  The fundamentals are easy to recall without intense training.

But even better is the pepper spray to ward him/them off from further out or buy time to grab the next weapon in the order.  If the attacker is a meth-crazed lunatic who feels no pain, I guess run like hell.  You can't prepare for 100%, but that case is not that common in this state, as far as I know.

I have been pepper sprayed dozens of times at work. I can tell you flat out, it doesn't work as a deterrent in and of itself. It 'may' give you the edge you need to win a fight or the pause you need to get away bit if you are relying on it to make a bad guy drop to ground in agony or to "think again" you are in for heartache.

I have been pepper sprayed dozens of times at work. I can tell you flat out, it doesn't work as a deterrent in and of itself. It 'may' give you the edge you need to win a fight or the pause you need to get away bit if you are relying on it to make a bad guy drop to ground in agony or to "think again" you are in for heartache.

I was pepper sprayed as part of my training for carrying it in the Military.  I think I would rather get shot than ever get sprayed again.  

It was inhuman.  One woman who was in my training class said that she would rather give birth again then get sprayed again.

Now maybe the problem was that after we were sprayed we had to run an whole gauntlet where we wrestled a prisoner to the ground, handcuffed someone, beat a person in a redman suit with a baton and finally had to to a takedown that combined all three exercises, all while being unable to see and in extreme pain.  So I'll give you one thing, if you have heart or motivation, you will prevail.  

But if you have a criminal who is looking for easy prey, it will change his mind.

I carried a Kimber Pepper Blaster when I delivered Pizzas.  I would have rather it been my Kel Tec, but ... you do what you have to do to stay within the law.

I was sprayed in the Police Academy and had to complete the same tasks you did. Run, fight, handcuff, talk on a radio, weapon retention against 2 aggressors, etc... It was not pleasant but it wasn't the worst thing we had to do. It stung for sure but it most certainly didn't make me blind, want to give up, or take me out of the fight.

Since my initial training in it 10 years ago I have sprayed quite a few people. It worked as you described on exactly zero of them.

However, when you spray someone during an arrest they don't sit still and let you spray them. You never have a great shot at their eyes as they are moving and fighting. Everyone involved gets some and you definitely nail your partners. So it is not as effective as it could be. Still, if anything the only common thing amongst all the people I have sprayed - they all fought harder after the pepper hit them maybe not as efficiently, but with much more ferocity.

Nobody likes it, but it is not debilitating, maybe slightly demoralizing.

We use the analogy...would you rather get sprayed or punched in the face. Those who say punched in the face...have never been.

OC is temporary pain and discomfort that is remedied in 20-40 minutes. Getting shot or punched in the face can leave permanent damage. I have been also sprayed willingly and unwillingly dozens of times.

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, so someone may have mentioned this already.  We use MURS sensors around our house.  When something moves past the sensor, inside the house we hear "Alert Zone 1" or "Alert Zone 2", etc.

Security is always about buying yourself time.  For me, the best solution is:

1. MURS sensors

2. Door braces

3. Alarm

4. Dog

5. Deadbolt on bedroom door

6. Firearms

7. Martial arts

GA

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, so someone may have mentioned this already.  We use MURS sensors around our house.  When something moves past the sensor, inside the house we hear "Alert Zone 1" or "Alert Zone 2", etc.

Security is always about buying yourself time.  For me, the best solution is:

1. MURS sensors

2. Door braces

3. Alarm

4. Dog

5. Deadbolt on bedroom door

6. Firearms

7. Martial arts

GA

Oh I like the MURS concept. Are they self install, or do you need a pro?