danw77

Not the typical "first gun" question

While I've been waiting for my FID and my 2 p2p's to come in (dropped my paperwork off on March 14) I'm still having trouble deciding what to buy.  I've read all of the "first gun" thread's but I'm still undecided.  Given how long the process takes, I'd prefer not to have to go through this again any time soon.  I had originally planned to make a Mossberg 500 my first purchase but given my limited funds I'd like to try to use my two P2P's before they expire.

Ideally I would get a .22lr to learn the basics and use at the range, then the Mossberg a few months later, and then pick up a 9mm or .45 semi or .357 revolver a few months after that.  However, I'm not sure I'll have the funds for the second handgun before my second P2P expires.

So here's my question... what type of handgun would you purchase first knowing that you might not be able to purchase another one for a year, maybe two?  My budget is $500 so I can make sure I've got enough to keep my ammo stocked.  My primary reason for the handgun is home defense and range use.  The .22lr would suit my needs well (except for the limitations/problems in a home defense setting) and the cheaper ammo will mean I get to the range more often.  I'll be using the Mossberg for hunting this fall, so that really needs to be my second purchase.  Would it be unwise to have a .22lr handgun as my only home defense firearm for a year or two?  I know the Mossberg could be used also, but a shotgun just doesn't seem like a great HD option to me.

I really like the EAA Witness in 9mm or .45acp with a .22lr conversion.  I've read that the 22 conversion isn't great, and since this is primarilly what I'd be using at the range I'm not sure it's a great idea.  I also really like the SR22.  If I were to get a dedicated 22 practice gun it would be the SR22.  

I hope that's clear enough and not confusing.  Any help would really be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Most manufacturers have 22 conversion kits for their specific makes and models.

Sig P226 has conversion kits which can give you a 9mm, 357 sig and a .40. They work beautifully. Their .22 conversion is a little finicky but works great with a few specific ammo types like federal game shock and cci mini mags.

If you want to go the 22 route, you can grab a Sig P226 classic 22 and like I said get the conversions.

9mm is a great caliber to learn on and is a very functional bullet as well. I always throw out the Glock 19, because I think that should be everyone's first, haha. They make a few great 22 conversion kits for them as well.

If you want ONLY a 22, there are a few models to look at. Ruger makes great 22's, Sig 1911-22 is awesome as well (stay away from the mosquito, haha) & Walther P22 is not a bad piece either (just a tad too small).

Do a bunch of research and see what you come up with. You will get a lot of great advice on here as well.

Rifles and shotguns you can get at any time.

I was in your shoes several months ago. Same budget, same situation. I went with the Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm. Its around $500 and its a great gun. Very nice to shoot and its high quality. Glocks feel like 2x4s when I shoot them so thats why went with S&W. Since .22lr is very hard to find and 9mm is starting to get better, I'd go with a 9mm. As for a shotgun, a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 will do the job. Its your choice, both are around the same price.

9mm is a great caliber to learn on and is a very functional bullet as well. I always throw out the Glock 19, because I think that should be everyone's first, haha.

This. IMHO, I decided to learn on the same model & caliber as what I'd be (hopefully never needing, but would be) using in a real life situation. I learned to drive on a manual transmission as I knew that the vehicle that I wanted to own would have one. It became second nature after a while, and I've always had a manual tranny vehicle ever since.

I'll also throw in a pitch for some classes as well when you can. Much like golf lessons, if you don't take them, bad habits become problems to overcome down the road. Keep an open mind and don't assume that you know everything. ;-)

While I agree that learning on a 22 is a great idea, I would not be comfortable with it as a HD weapon. The S&W M&P has earned a really good reputation but my vote for the first (and only for awhile anyway) gun is always Glock. 

I would suggest a used Glock 19 for about $450, or a S&W M&P 9C or 9 full size for about the same.  Glock is the standard and you can get parts, magazines, etc. for it.  It's tough to find and expensive to get M&P magazines and the M&P platform is not has proven.   Therefore, I think a Glock is the most cost-effective choice, and slightly better on resale, although I am not so sure.  However, I do like the feel of the M&P in hand.  Really, though, I would look for a used gun from a private seller.  For example, it might not be your first choice, but there was a FNP 9 for sale in the listings with a number of magazines  and that would work.  There was also an M&P 9C for sale as well.  Look for a used gun bargain... Glock, S&W M&P, Ruger, Beretta, Springfield Armory, FNH, etc..  And, you might save enough to get a .22LR as well before your permit runs out.  You can get a .22LR carbine and a shotgun at a later point and time.

Thanks for the responses.  Glocks are out for me... I just don't like the way they feel in my hand.  The M&P is on my short list of 9mm, along with the SR9, P95, 92FS, and CZ/CZ clones.  I'd love a Sig P226, but it's outside my budget.  For the price of the gun and conversion, I could get an M&P9 and an SR22.  

Is the general consensus that the benefits of having an 9mm for home defense outweighs the benefit of learning on a .22 and cheaper ammo costs?  

To clarify, my question is not so much which specific .22 or 9mm to get but should I get a .22 or 9mm (or .357) first given my limited budget and intended use.

9mm. 22lr is a little light for HD.

And fwiw, just because you don't like the way the Glock feels in your hand means nothing until you shoot it. You will be surprised how well you can or can not shoot something by the way it feels.

I found the Sig Classic .22 for $535 online with a 10 round magazine. It's the same frame or receiver as the 9mm, 357 Sig and the .40. So like I said, you can get the kits to turn them into any caliber. You will not need another permit for the conversion kits.

Yes, 9mm outweighs the benefits of learning on a .22. Learning on a .22 for a full grown man is a few magazines through the barrel to get used to the controls. After you get sufficient with the 9mm, then you can train with your 22 for more advanced drills to save on ammo costs. However, a .22 will not provide 100% solid training.

Thanks for the responses.  Glocks are out for me... I just don't like the way they feel in my hand.  The M&P is on my short list of 9mm, along with the SR9, P95, 92FS, and CZ/CZ clones.  I'd love a Sig P226, but it's outside my budget.  For the price of the gun and conversion, I could get an M&P9 and an SR22.  

Is the general consensus that the benefits of having an 9mm for home defense outweighs the benefit of learning on a .22 and cheaper ammo costs?  

There is a Browning Buckmark .22 for sale in the marketplace forum for $275 so face to face sale is the out the door price. No tax or nics to pay. I have one and these guns are sweet and are super accurate. You will be amazed how well you shoot this thing even if you are a new shooter. You can find magazines anywhere for $20-$30 and ammo is super cheap. You can shoot all day for $20.

If I had extra purchase permits to burn I would buy another Buckmark in a heartbeat.

To clarify, my question is not so much which specific .22 or 9mm to get but should I get a .22 or 9mm (or .357) first given my limited budget and intended use.

This is an easy one- get a .357 first, this way you have a .38 and a .357.  

I made this mistake 30 yrs ago with my first rifle. I bought 308 because that was what I was going to use hunting. At a $1 a shot I rarely used the thing so I was stuck in a vicious cycle -- did not practice, so I didn't use it--didn't use it so lost interest-- lost interest so I didn't practice --etc...

When it came to getting my first handgun this year, I wasn't going to repeat the mistake. I got a new Walther P22. The new model eats anything I've thrown at it ---much like the Ruger Sr22. The point is I got a 22lr so that I would not have any excuse for not practising and enjoying the gun. The gun is a tool and its useless if you are not proficient.

In regards to caliber--that is a source of constant debate. Here's my story and I'm sticking to it...

I went the 22lr route because I think that getting lead-on-target is more important than the size of what's in the mag. So my strategy is to get a gun that can be easily shot without ear protection in the middle of the night while standing in the middle of my four foot wide hallway. Another concern was penetration of misses and making sure hits don't exit the target. My advice is to envision yourself in your hallway in nothing but your PJs and buy something that you won't hesitate firing in that situation.

Look, does the perp really know the size of your bullets? It's like your pant size, no one really knows except you, your tailor, and your laundry. All they see or hear is a gun. So I focus on a rig that facilitates me placing 3-4 rounds in the chest.

In regards to a shotgun, I've had a rem 870 for 30 yrs. it was great in its day. If I were buying a new pump shotgun today I would go with mossberg 500. There are more owner repairable parts; e.g., the ejector clip. Someday when you save up a stockpile of cash, look at Benelli -- beautiful -- especially the semiautos and the cordoba.

That's my two sense.

This is an easy one- get a .357 first, this way you have a .38 and a .357.

This^^^

A .357 is a great choice. You can get .38 ammo anywhere and blast some .357 to let off some steam. Lol

I just got one myself and should have her in my hands next week.

I would recommend that you make your first purchase a used firearm if you are on a budget. Sure it's way more fun to buy new and be the first person outside of the factory to shoot it but you can save 40% of the price of a new one.

That may save you enough cash to purchase both a 9mm and a .22.

The 22 as a home defense weapon has been debated here a lot.  I'm firmly on the side of believing a 22 is adequate.  I don't believe any "normal" handgun round is effective because of it's "knock down power" or muzzle energy.  I have experience killing lots of different types of animals with lots of different types of guns and have never had one fall over or explode from a big enough bullet.   I've had deer run after a 12 ga slug hit to the chest.  Granted it was about 2 steps but it wasn't the overwhelming energy of tthe bullet that dropped them.

With a .22, you can put half a dozen holes in a person in under 2 seconds.  They may be small holes but they will stop an attacker.  Hollow points won't penetrate very deep so I'd use regular old high velocity rounds.

If I could have 2 guns, my home defense gun would be bigger than a .22 but if the cost of a second gun is a consideration, the cost of ammo is going to be higher than that second gun.  22 ammo is cheaper than 9mm, even now and in normal times, you can afford to shoot a 22 for hours.

357 Taurus! or a CZ-75/Witness  and eventually a .22 conversion kit. You could also get a used Hi-Power for around $400 on gunbroker. They're built to last, but might not look pretty. Does that really matter anyway? 

Get a used Ruger GP100 in 357 or 327. Both take lower caliber ammo. The 357 accomodates 38s and you can run a variety of 32 caliber through the 327. The lower caliber round go through easy with little recoil and aren't that expensive. I have seen 32 caliber S&W Long ammo in the $15 range for 50 rounds. It may be a little more difficult to find the 32 & 327 rounds at your local gun store but I haven't had a problem ordering it online. The 38 and 357 should be readily available.

U can read all about my GP 100 in .327 purchase under the Handgun Forum.

If money is an issue as you state, you pretty much have to go with a .22. The conversion kits, and the guns that work with them, will cost you about as much as two quality used guns.

Even if that were not so, you will find the larger calibers are way too expensive to shoot with any regularity. 

My firearms instructor once told me that buying a firearm is the least expensive part of shooting. 9mm ammo costs about 30-35 cents per round, and those magazines empty mighty fast. .45ACP goes for 40-45 cents per round. A trip to the range will cost you $100-$250 between range time and ammo. You can get .22lr for eight to ten cents per round if you hunt around. That will cut your ammo costs by 75%, but you're still talking $50-$60 per trip. Or you can join a range for $200-400 per year, depending on where you live.

In other words, the higher calibers will set you back $1200-$3000 per year, assuming one range trip per month. More experienced posters than I will tell you if that's "enough." 

If you live with other people, particularly little ones, you definitely should take a home defense class before keeping a .45 ACP cocked and locked in your night table. That will set you back about $200 more. See what I'm talking about?

I bought my first handgun about 9 months ago. I still have not got around to home defense mode because I have three people running around here, coming and going at various hours, and I have not taken a home defense class.

In short, don't blow the rent money to satisfy a caliber fetish. The odds are overwhelmingly against ever facing a home defense situation. It's a lot harder to defend yourself from a cardboard box after you've been evicted or foreclosed.

Also, unless you live in a neighborhood populated by two-headed fire-breathing zombies on bath salts, you'll be able to stop or disperse almost any asshole with 12 rounds of .22 long rifle. I'm probably inviting a flame war with that comment but that is my relatively uninformed opinion. 

Get a used Ruger GP100 in 357 or 327. Both take lower caliber ammo. The 357 accomodates 38s and you can run a variety of 32 caliber through the 327. The lower caliber rounds go through easy with little recoil and aren't that expensive. I have seen 32 caliber S&W Long ammo in the $15 range for 50 rounds. It may be a little more difficult to find the 32 & 327 rounds at your local gun store but I haven't had a problem ordering it online. The 38 and 357 should be readily available.

U can read all about my GP 100 in .327 purchase under the Handgun Forum.

You can also watch this video where the gentlemen runs 5 different calibers through his SP101 in 327.  The SP101 is the smaller/lighter version of the GP100.  The .32 ACP isn't a recommended caliber for use in .327s and shouldn't be used.  But having 4 calibers available is rather interesting and versatile.

http://wn.com/_327_federal_magnum