illy

Beer Police? WTF.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/06/29/college-student-arrested-thrown-in-jail-after-buying-bottled-water/

It should have been just a simple trip to the grocery store to buy bottled water, cookie dough and ice cream for a sorority event.

Instead, six plainclothes officers swarmed University of Virginia student Elizabeth Daly, who was ultimately arrested and spent the night and next afternoon in jail, the Charlottesville Daily Progress reported.

What happened? The officers — men and a woman — were state Alcoholic Beverage Control agents who suspected the 20-year-old walking to her car that night had just bought a pack of beer. One agent jumped on the hood of her SUV and Daly said one drew a gun. Panicking and not knowing who they were, she tried to get away.

“They were showing unidentifiable badges after they approached us, but we became frightened, as they were not in anything close to a uniform,” Daly said in a written account of the April 11 incident.

“I couldn't put my windows down unless I started my car, and when I started my car they began yelling to not move the car, not to start the car. They began trying to break the windows. My roommates and I were…terrified,” she stated.

She dialed 911 as she pulled out of the parking lot and stopped for an agent’s car with lights and sirens, the Daily Progress reported. Once she realized who the agents were, she apologized profusely.

Nevertheless, Daly was charged with two felony counts of assaulting a law enforcement officer after she grazed two agents with her SUV trying to flee, and one felony count of eluding police.

She spent the night and afternoon in jail, and was facing prison time and thousands of dollars in fines before the charges were dropped Thursday.

Charlottesville Commonwealth’s Attorney Dave Chapman told the Daily Progress he’d never seen a case like this in 34 years of experience.

“It wouldn't be the right thing to do to prosecute this,” he said.

The Alcoholic Beverage Control said Friday it’s reviewing the incident. A spokeswoman said a female agent saw “what appeared to be an underage person in possession of what appeared to be a case of beer.”

“The agent identified herself as a police officer and was displaying her badge,” agency spokeswoman Kathleen Shaw said in a statement. “The agents were acting upon reasonable suspicion."

At least she's still alive.

WTF is up with the Starsky & Hutch mentality of jumping on the hood of their car? Why stop there...maybe they should upgrade to black helis and fast rappel onto the parking lot while deploying spike strips at the exits. Schools should have put on lock down too for the safety of the children.

What will change it:

One cop deceased at the scene, one injured and in critical condition, two of the students were pronounced dead shortly after arriving to the hospital. One student in custody.

Lessons learned: Regarding threat of deadly force (aggravated assault) because Children are carrying water, well, you fill in the blanks.

What will change it:

One cop deceased at the scene, one injured and in critical condition, two of the students were pronounced dead shortly after arriving to the hospital. One student in custody.

Lessons learned: Regarding threat of deadly force (aggravated assault) because Children are carrying water, well, you fill in the blanks.

Official report and media coverage would report that three ringleaders of an illegal alcohol trafficking operation had managed to elude law enforcement for several months by masquerading as college students.   Two of the three will killed during a shootout with ATF agents when the three tried to kill several federal agents with their vehicle. ATF officers acted in self defense.  Charlottsville residents are safer tonight thanks to the efforts of federal officers. The surviving student is in custody and has been charged with 27 counts of....

i wanna know how they even knew she was underage. six leos to take on one girl who may or may not be underage who may or may not have bought a 6 pack. i know we dont have all the info but come on now, this one just seems ridiculous.

This whole story smells.  Unless ALL the officers all got their intel wrong simultaneously, this was some undercover thing that went horribly wrong. Mistaken identity maybe.  The story just seems like spin to save face on a total f**ck up.

This whole story smells.  Unless ALL the officers all got their intel wrong simultaneously, this was some undercover thing that went horribly wrong. Mistaken identity maybe.  The story just seems like spin to save face on a total f**ck up.

I mean, i see what your trying to say, But absolutely no Face was was saved... No matter how you spin something like this the acting agency looks completely incompetent.

You know what? In hindsight, I'm going to put away my cop bashing for the moment. It does smell. I think it's just gotten so bad that this is the kind of thing I expect, let alone simply believe without question. There certainly could be problems with this story. Press rarely gets anything right.

I really don't care if it is or not. Who knows what happened and who really cares?

Well, if cops in plain clothes are jumping up on hoods of cars and pointing guns at people because they think somebody might have bought a twelve pack of beer underage, I care a lot and I hope the cops get shot for their efforts next time. Which would be perfectly legal in many states, including by statute in Texas. And is legal under written law in almost all states, if not observed in practice.

I also think the story seems a little ridiculous as printed.

You know what? In hindsight, I'm going to put away my cop bashing for the moment. It does smell. I think it's just gotten so bad that this is the kind of thing I expect, let alone simply believe without question. There certainly could be problems with this story. Press rarely gets anything right.

Um...slight modification....in my experience the press almost NEVER gets anything right....