DeeVeeEight

Obstacles getting my NJFID Card and P2P

I am being stonewalled by my local police dept. regarding applying for a FID and P2P. I am sure that this

has been gone over a zillion times and that I am not the first. Where can I go to get some leverage and overcome this "unseen and nonexistent" resistance?l

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lee

I applied about 7 months ago in Haddon Township and was denied for stealing a car in New York when I was 16 and for having a misdemeanor conviction about 7 years ago. I am now in my 50's and a home and local business owner. The officer who informed me that I was denied told me I could reapply after 6 or 7 months and that I should contact him for assistance. I have been trying to reach him by telephone for several weeks without success. Going to the Police Department is an exercise in frustration as they treat me like I am bothering them. I have read elsewhere that the local leo's can be difficult and drag their feet regarding FID's and P2P's.

There is an appeal process if you are denied.  You need to follow the process.  Applying again after 7 months is not the process.   If you have a felony conviction, it's possible you do not qualify and there's nothign the police can do about it.   You may need to get that expunged first - if car theft can be expunged.

There is an appeal process if you are denied.  You need to follow the process.  Applying again after 7 months is not the process.   If you have a felony conviction, it's possible you do not qualify and there's nothign the police can do about it.   You may need to get that expunged first - if car theft can be expunged.

This - you got bad advice - and I think you have to appeal a denial in a certain time frame.  Call a firearms lawyer and quickly.

Here's a list of a few:

http://www.anjrpc.org/?page=legal_advice

This is exactly what I am talking about. I feel the cops are deliberately misleading me and giving me bad information. I did not know that I could appeal the decision or that the appeal had to be made within 30 days. I was told by the police officer to wait six or seven months and reapply at my own expense. Bastards.

The sad part is the detective may not have known you had to appeal in 30 days. The laws are so messed up even the LEOs can't understand them. I'm not defending him, but it may not be all his fault. Most of it is though. 

I don't agree that its okay for them not knowing at the PD. I really don't expect all LEO's to know (or understand) all of the firearms laws of Jersey but the person who is doing the permits sure as hell should at least know the laws when it comes to areas of ... wait for it... PERMITS! If he doesn't know about the appeal process maybe he should 't be handling permits. I would never fly with a pilot if he didn't know everything about his occupation.

This is exactly what I am talking about. I feel the cops are deliberately misleading me and giving me bad information. I did not know that I could appeal the decision or that the appeal had to be made within 30 days. I was told by the police officer to wait six or seven months and reapply at my own expense. Bastards.

This is why you never take legal advice from police.

Juvenile records can potentially come into play when you're applying for stuff like this.

What was the other misdemeanor for?  if you're convicted of anything, it's pretty much a discretionary NOPE from your local Chief if he wants to be a jerk.

You had 30 days to apply. and now you have a rejection on your record.  Your best bet is to:

Look into expunging both charges(not sure how the juvenile charge works).

Once that process is started and complete, lawyer up and apply again.  Provide all of the paperwork showing the expungement.

OR - Move out of NJ, get PA residency and buy your toys there.  Move back.

Good luck.

.. was denied for stealing a car in New York when I was 16 and for having a misdemeanor conviction about 7 years ago.... I could reapply after 6 or 7 months

That's ridiculous.  If you were denied for things that happened 35 and 7 years ago, waiting 6 months won't change anything.  He's giving you a runaround and probably deliberately misleading you to prevent you from filing an appropriate appeal.

Hire a lawyer familiar with NJ firearm laws.

If I were your lawyer I would argue that though you were supposed to appeal within 30 days, the PD was supposed to issue or deny within 30 days and therefore you should be held to the exact same standard as the PD and therefore are filing your appeal, now, several months later.

If I were your lawyer I would argue that though you were supposed to appeal within 30 days, the PD was supposed to issue or deny within 30 days and therefore you should be held to the exact same standard as the PD and therefore are filing your appeal, now, several months later.

I would love to take that stand but I know it won't fly. The LEO's are above the law but they get pissy if you point it out to them. I have to do my best to remain humble and play by their rules, seeing as how it's their game.

I wrote a letter to the Governor's office the other day, I thought I would copy and paste it here.

Governor Christie,

I am afraid that my second amendment rights are being violated by my local police department. I am trying to obtain a NJ Firearms ID Card and/or Purchase Permit but my local police department is being difficult and uncooperative. I do not want to offend the local police department as they have the final say in my application being approved or denied but I do not know how to get them to cooperate. So far I have been misinformed and misled by them in an obvious attempt to deflect my attempts to legally own a gun in NJ. Each time I try to contact them to initiate the process I am ignored. What are my options? Thank You in advance for your assistance.

Hopefully my passive aggressive position will get some results. I sure don't want to have to name names and file complaints.

I would love to take that stand but I know it won't fly. The LEO's are above the law but they get pissy if you point it out to them. I have to do my best to remain humble and play by their rules, seeing as how it's their game.

I wrote a letter to the Governor's office the other day, I thought I would copy and paste it here.[/size]Governor Christie,[/size]

I am afraid that my second amendment rights are being violated by my local police department. I am trying to obtain a NJ Firearms ID Card and/or Purchase Permit but my local police department is being difficult and uncooperative. I do not want to offend the local police department as they have the final say in my application being approved or denied but I do not know how to get them to cooperate. So far I have been misinformed and misled by them in an obvious attempt to deflect my attempts to legally own a gun in NJ. Each time I try to contact them to initiate the process I am ignored. What are my options? Thank You in advance for your assistance.[/size]Hopefully my passive aggressive position will get some results. I sure don't want to have to name names and file complaints.[/size]

I they denied you now, what makes you think that you wont get denied in 6-7 months. Because the cop told you so?

They probably think you ll give up,when they deny you the 2 nd time because you already have a previous denial that you didnt appeal on time. I think they are doing this on purpose to discourage you.

Your passive agressive stance wont get you any results.

Legal aid will get you results.

It's a moot point.  I was denied, expunged, waited a  year and reapplied.  Got denied again.  Appealed and won. 

To the OP, I suggest you get your record expunged.  Even with expungement, the court can still use those offenses against you to support the denial but it's a step in the right direction.  After the expungement is complete, which can take 6 months, reapply.  The police may say, and court may agree that the car theft and fairly recent disorderly persons show a pattern of behavior that disqualifies you.  I don't know what you can do about that.

I wrote a letter to the Governor's office the other day, I thought I would copy and paste it here.

It's their game - agreed.  So, the only way to beat the house when the game is fixed is?  Oh that's right - HIRE A LAWYER.

Letter's to a Governor won't do diddly.  Sorry but that's the truth.  He's not your representative, that's not his role.

Administration

The Christie-Guadagno Administration consists of individuals in a variety of departments working to advance the Governor’s agenda in the state of New Jersey. The Governor’s cabinet, which is currently awaiting confirmation, serves as a board of expert advisors to the Governor on a range of matters including Community Affairs, Public Utilities, Education, Environmental protection, Labor and Workforce, and Transportation.

The Governor’s senior staff, overseen by the chief of staff, has been selected to conceptualize, implement and communicate his agendas and policies. On the pages that follow, you can read biographies of each of the key cabinet and staff members in the Christie-Guadagno administration.

NJ's Priorities    Education Putting New Jersey's Children First by Challenging the System

On September 28, 2010 Governor Christie outlined a package of reforms to improve New Jersey public schools by challenging the status quo and transforming a system that has fallen behind. The Governor’s reforms will fundamentally alter New Jersey’s education system to make teacher effectiveness and student achievement the driving forces behind every policy and practice.

Governor Christie’s Reform Agenda will move public education in New Jersey away from an antiquated, ineffective model that props up failing schools and toward a system that demands accountability, rewards highly effective teachers, utilizes performance measures and ensures each and every child receives the quality education they deserve.

Improving Public Schools by Rewarding Effective, High-Quality Teachers and Demanding Accountability in the Classroom:
  • Rewarding Innovative, Effective and High-Quality Teachers
  • Expanding Opportunities for Great Teachers to Succeed
  • Demanding Accountability and Results for New Jersey’s Children
  • Ensuring Our Children Have Well-Prepared Teachers

Empowering Parents with Access to Quality Data and Additional Outreach Efforts
  • Engaging Families in Their Children’s Education with Improved Access to Information
  • Improving Outreach and Communications Efforts to Parents and Families

The above are directly from the Governor's state website

Tell me where in the above platform it says "protect the rights of the people in NJ"?????

Notice however that it says to advance "the Governor's" agenda.