mikeyboyeee

Speaking of traffic tickets, I got popped in VA on way to Florida

I got popped in NC, and got a ton of letters from Lawyers looking to represent me.

I picked one from the town where the court was.

Pay the money, and the ticket magically changes into a no point equipment violation.

Well worth it.

If you don't get letters, look for a traffic lawyer from the town where the court is. That way there is a good chance all those involved are golfing buddies.

VA is notorius for targeting out of state residents. My brother got a speeding ticket in VA returning to Camp Lejuene he had to jump thru alot of hoops to get it taken care of since he couldnt go fight it. .

In VA speeding tickets are considered reckless driving. Reckless Driving is not merely a traffic infraction. It is a criminal offense - a class 1 misdemeanor - the most serious class of misdemeanor in Virginia with maximum penalties of 1 year in jail, $2,500 fine, and a 6-month suspension of your driver's license.

http://www.bobbattlelaw.com/library/va-speeding-issues-for-out-of-state-motorists-caught-speeding-in-va.cfm

I got popped in NC, and got a ton of letters from Lawyers looking to represent me.

I picked one from the town where the court was.

Pay the money, and the ticket magically changes into a no point equipment violation.

Well worth it.

If you don't get letters, look for a traffic lawyer from the town where the court is. That way there is a good chance all those involved are golfing buddies.

That sounds like a good idea thanks. Hope it translates to Va

My friend and I got stopped(he was driving) in VA on the way to FL, after we stopped for gas.  2 cars in front of us, in a turn lane with a arrow(signal).  Arrow turned green, we all proceeded.  First car had VA plates, second had PA, then us(NJ), then a VA car behind us.  Cops(4 cars) stopped at the intersection all flipped their lights on and pulled over ONLY the non VA cars(us, and the PA driver). 

Wrote my buddy a ticket for failure to observe traffic control device.  I was watching the PA car too, he got a ticket.  The light was definitely green.  I doubt 4 cars all would have made the same mistake at the same exact time(obviously it's possible, but unlikely)- and why weren't any of the VA tagged cars stopped? There were enough police cars to stop us all. 

It was quite obvious they knew we weren't going to come back to fight the ticket(revenue generator).  My friend contemplated going down to fight it, but he said he would spend more in gas than the cost of the fine. 

Traffic tickets are almost entirely a scam. There are of course some exceptions.

I mean, over the last couple of years, in most places the cost of tickets for the same offense has doubled or more. If you just pay, it is usually a 'no contest' plea. If you go to court and lose (which you will), you are now guilty. Often just paying incurs no points, where taking it to court does. And when you take it to court, you know get these added court and administrative fees added on. This is done to discourage fighting tickets. Also, they often give you the option for a lesser charge...at a HIGHER cost. Why? Because it isn't about safety. It is about money.

If it was really about safety, people who get DUI's wouldn't be back on the road shortly with a valid license. But they are, because repeat offenders pay more.

I absolutely believe your friend turned on a green and got a ticket. After all, for traffic tickets, no proof is required, just the officers word. Out-of-staters usually can't bother fighting tickets, so it is easy money.

That sounds like a good idea thanks. Hope it translates to Va

Traffic tickets are the gift that keeps on taking.

To me, it is worth it to pay up front.

It is not about safety, it is about the Benjamins.

Give them a few, and they will leave you alone.

I just returned from a trip to Florida and back,Luckily I did not have the pleasure of meeting any troopers or sheriffs along the way,The one thing that  did stand out however was the relative scarcity of Troopers since I last drove to Florida 15 years ago when it seemed that there were one every 10 miles.

I ran with a Valentine that hardly ever gave indication and the WAZE app on my smart phone which was very useful and accurate especially in Virginia.

Fun fact? Virginia raked in $238 MILLION in traffic fines in 2011. Fairfax county alone wrote 26,000 tickets. This is why I try to avoid driving through VA as much as possible, unfortunately to get anywhere south you pretty much have to. When I went to NC last month, I hit the VA border, set my cruise for 70mph and settled in for the long haul. 

Fun fact? Virginia raked in $238 MILLION in traffic fines in 2011. Fairfax county alone wrote 26,000 tickets. This is why I try to avoid driving through VA as much as possible, unfortunately to get anywhere south you pretty much have to. When I went to NC last month, I hit the VA border, set my cruise for 70mph and settled in for the long haul. 

Surprise Surprise, regarding the story I posted above- we were in Fairfax county. 

I'm coming up to nj sept for a rifle comp, I will have to set cruise control in va / md my car don't blend in with the crowd.

Why would anyone want to voluntarily leave the U.S. to go to New Jersey? :lol: 

A few years back we had a race in virginia, 7 of our racers towing boats got popped... they all used the same lawyer it was about 1100.  per person.. granted they were 85+ in a 65.. 

I was not in the ticket crowd..

Won't happen again, but I got 83 in 70.

Keeping up with traffic but I had jersey plates so there you go.

I have no points and got all the solicitations in the mail.

Obviously, I can not show up to court in VA,

Anyone with experience here?

I got a speeding ticket in VA years ago. After calling the court I was to I could write a letter to the judge. Im the letter I apoligized for not being able to appear in person and said I was speeding but I am sure I was not going as fast as the officer thought. The judge reduced it to the minimum speeding violation. Fine was well under $100 and it never appeared on my record. If I were you I would see if you can do the same. Just call the court and write a respectful letter.

Also an FYI to those who drive in VA.... Radar detectors are illegal and if they see it they will hammer you with fines. I have heard from multiple people that each mph over 90 can get you a day in county jail. Fortunately I never had to find either of those things out the hard way or I might be stuck in a hole down there somewhere.

Any speeding violation above 80mph in VA is AUTOMATICALLY a reckless by speed violation.

Reckless by speed in VA is a misdemeanor criminal offense.

How do I know? I'm still in the process of getting the exact same situation resolved.

DO NOT just plead guilty on the ticket and send it back in... You will have a CRIMINAL record from a misdemeanor conviction.

Get a lawer! PM me if you want more details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2