bulpup

Hey, are motorcycles allowed in HOV lanes...

original question...

19:9-1.24 Lane usage; Interchanges 11 to 14

(a) The left travel lanes of the Turnpike's outer roadways from Interchange 11 in the Township of Woodbridge to Interchange 14 in the City of Newark are designated as special reserved lanes for high occupancy vehicles (HOVs) during certain weekday hours specified below. Such lanes may only be used by vans or cars with a minimum of three persons or more, inclusive of the driver, or by buses or motorcycles, or vehicles with hybrid engines, regardless of occupancy, during time periods set forth in (a)1 and 2 below. During all other hours, the lanes will be open to all vehicular traffic, with the exception of commercial vehicles as that term is defined in N.J.A.C. 19:9-1.1.

Excellent. Thanks. Very short HOV lane isn't it LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that the original question has been answered, it would be a lost opportunity if we did not point out that it became very clear that people hate lane splitters.

Consider that California has seen the be benefit to allowing it (http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html) in the form of less motorcycle fatalities and what they measure as an 15% reduction in congestion in cites.

View one report here

http://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=1129266

I understand being angry when someone zooms past you at highway speed, but at a traffic light? Why does that make a person angry? It isn't like that bike is going to be there very long anyway and it keep the rider from getting run over from behind by some texting teen.

Additionally, I have found that if I am riding in Manhattan and a traffic cop is directing traffic they will tell you to split or get in the bike lane if I am blocking the intersection.

Anyway. Seems like a strange thing to get mad about.

My opinion of lanesplitting stands as stated, suicidal to do so in NJ. I have been riding for 40++ years and don't do it. But, anyone who can seriously suggest injuring the people who do has some severe anger management issues. To take it a step further, with that mental outlook, they are just the kind of people who should not be allowed to own much less ever carry a firearm. Outrageous and shameful. Read your posts and if you qualify, I mean you.

Correct. Outlining the "perfect plan" that allows you to justify property damage, bodily injury and possible death is criminal intent. It makes no difference what ticket the other guy might have received.

If you are looking for a way to get away with it you are living with criminal intent.

But of course saying it is one thing, doing it is another. Just look at yourself in the mirror and say "if I actually do this I am no better than any other scumbug criminal, but it is interesting to

troll about the internet"

There are still HOV lanes in NJ?  They tried them on I 80 years ago and it was an utter failure.

Yes, on-ramp to GWB upper level. Right lane is HOV 3+. I take it often because I have 5 in the car. Of course the trucks will take it too then try to merge back when they see the PAPD up ahead.

Yes, on-ramp to GWB upper level. Right lane is HOV 3+. I take it often because I have 5 in the car. Of course the trucks will take it too then try to merge back when they see the PAPD up ahead.

3 people to a car?  Yikes.  I hope they give a break on the toll, what is it, about $50.00 to cross now?

bviously carguy, you have never been on two wheels and don't realize how fcuked up you guys in your cages actually drive. every time i go out on my bike one of you idiots could kill me. you never look before you merge or switch lanes, you hit the brakes for no reason, you tailgate, throw cigarettes/garbage out the window, etc. and all of that while talking on the phone and texting. so i want to get to the safest place i can on the road, which is in front of the pack while moving or between two lanes while stopped.

so heres the scenario, theres a red right up ahead, you're stopped and im "splitting" the lane trying to get to my safe spot between two cars at the front of the pack. then you cut me off,and knock me over. the guy in the lane next to you at the light is too busy texting to notice that i fell over. just then, he notices the light goes green and he steps on the gas and runs me over with his 3 ton suv crushing and killing me. now all of this could have been avoided if you weren't a dick and let the bike who is way faster and isn't going to hold you up in any way just go on by.

and yes i am allowed to have guns. because i'm not a douche and don't act violently toward others for no other reason that to be a douche. as far as the "roid-rage" thing, ask some people here who have met me if they think i am on or have ever done steroids. i think all of them will probably laugh at you. and i do hope you die in a fire before you can kill me or one of my two wheeled brothers just because you want to be a cockbag. or you could just think about what you said and apologize for being a pea-brained moron who didnt think about the value of human life before he decided to publicly post an idiotic, offensive and threatening idea/plan on a forum that is supposed to have each other back.

3 people to a car? Yikes. I hope they give a break on the toll, what is it, about $50.00 to cross now?

It's 13.50 cash, 9.25 ezpass. Carpool discount knocks off 5 bucks so it's 4.25.

But it's not automatic. You need to use EZPass, sign up for the plan, use the CASH lane and stop let them see that you have 3 in the vehicle.

It's 13.50 cash, 9.25 ezpass. Carpool discount knocks off 5 bucks so it's 4.25.

But it's not automatic. You need to use EZPass, sign up for the plan, use the CASH lane and stop let them see that you have 3 in the vehicle.

Well at least that's something positive.

I have had my class M pretty much since I've had my license, but I stopped riding (because my friend I used to ride with died in a crash and I just lost interest).

Not all bikers ride carelessly but there are some who make the whole bunch look bad. And typically they are young males riding sport bikes. The more mature bikers riding cruisers generally ride safely from my observation.

I have no problem with people who follow the law when riding and ride safely. But I'm not going to exactly feel sorry for the guy doing 100mph and then getting his brains slammed against an 18 wheeler.

For the record I keep out of the way of bikers.

Now that the original question has been answered, it would be a lost opportunity if we did not point out that it became very clear that people hate lane splitters.

Consider that California has seen the be benefit to allowing it (http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html) in the form of less motorcycle fatalities and what they measure as an 15% reduction in congestion in cites.

View one report herehttp://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=1129266

I understand being angry when someone zooms past you at highway speed, but at a traffic light? Why does that make a person angry? It isn't like that bike is going to be there very long anyway and it keep the rider from getting run over from behind by some texting teen.

Additionally, I have found that if I am riding in Manhattan and a traffic cop is directing traffic they will tell you to split or get in the bike lane if I am blocking the intersection.

Anyway. Seems like a strange thing to get mad about.

The flip side is not everyone is s seasoned responsible rider... I have seen countless responsible motorcycle riders... But I've honestly seen just as many dbags that push the limits of safety on the regular.... Sorry I don't want some new rider flying up the center line.... Lanes are lanes for a reason.. They tell you where to expect other vehicles to be.... The last thing I need is some novice motorcycle inches from my car in my blind spot...

Vehicle is a vehicle and we should all just be following the same standard.... Traffic is unpredictable enough as it is...

I keep up with crotch rockets on just so i can witness street pizza.  You act like a dick on the road and bad things happen, car or bike.  Bikes shouldn't get any special privelages because they are on 2 weels.  Lanes are lanes for a reason, not because you make them out to what you want them to be. 

Yea. I don't split lanes either, except I will qualify that if traffic is at <10 mph i will move ahead a few cars at a time, then re-assess.

However there is a particular situation that I prefer to use the motorcycle to my advantage. That is the unbelievably frustrating situation where every car seems to want to be door to door with the next one across all three lanes. I just don't get this and as frustrating as it is anywhere in the world, NJ has found a way to make it worse by jamming up into the ass of every one as if to say "Y'all are so slow can't you see how dangerously close I am to you?"

Well, I see the danger and when a clot like that starts developing around me I fear the J.o's that need to dive into lanes to show that they are the fastest tailgater in the a-hole bunch.

So - sayonara that that noise. I am punching out.

The flip side is not everyone is s seasoned responsible rider... I have seen countless responsible motorcycle riders... But I've honestly seen just as many dbags that push the limits of safety on the regular.... Sorry I don't want some new rider flying up the center line.... Lanes are lanes for a reason.. They tell you where to expect other vehicles to be.... The last thing I need is some novice motorcycle inches from my car in my blind spot...

Vehicle is a vehicle and we should all just be following the same standard.... Traffic is unpredictable enough as it is...

Agreed. One of the best things I ever saw on the side of the road was down by the NJ horse park. It simply said "drive friendly"

Wouldn't that be awesome? Drive through Kentucky and you can feel that-mostly. A holes are all over, it's the percentages that makes the difference.

Agreed. One of the best things I ever saw on the side of the road was down by the NJ horse park. It simply said "drive friendly"

Wouldn't that be awesome? Drive through Kentucky and you can feel that-mostly. A holes are all over, it's the percentages that makes the difference.

in PA we have the following signs.. 

"caution high crash area"

"caution DUI area"

"caution aggressive driver area"

LOL

A good reason to split lanes is because most bikes are air-cooled.  When I had my Harley, if I got stuck in traffic too long, I couldn't shift the thing.  The heat makes the parts expand and go out of alignment.  Why people get po'ed because I'm trying to keep moving between lanes is beyond me.  Plus, I don't have AC on a bike.  I'm sitting there in protective gear on top of a hot engine sweating my cajones off while you're sitting in your car with the AC on listening to Rudy Vallee and you get mad at me because I'm trying to move along.  What the kid said.

A good reason to split lanes is because most bikes are air-cooled.  When I had my Harley, if I got stuck in traffic too long, I couldn't shift the thing.  The heat makes the parts expand and go out of alignment.  Why people get po'ed because I'm trying to keep moving between lanes is beyond me.  Plus, I don't have AC on a bike.  I'm sitting there in protective gear on top of a hot engine sweating my cajones off while you're sitting in your car with the AC on listening to Rudy Vallee and you get mad at me because I'm trying to move along.  What the kid said.

you are personalizing it... 

the law does not exist to punish you.. the law exists for safety...

it has nothing to do with not wanting you to slowly slide in between cars to keep moving.. I don't want some inexperienced rider flying up behind an inexperienced motorist... because no matter what anyone says.. that is dangerous.. I respect riders.. I give them room where they need it.. and I let them get around me sometimes if they are moving faster than traffic... but I just want them in a LANE so I have a better chance of seeing them and NOT driving into them.. 

you are personalizing it... 

the law does not exist to punish you.. the law exists for safety...

it has nothing to do with not wanting you to slowly slide in between cars to keep moving.. I don't want some inexperienced rider flying up behind an inexperienced motorist... because no matter what anyone says.. that is dangerous.. I respect riders.. I give them room where they need it.. and I let them get around me sometimes if they are moving faster than traffic... but I just want them in a LANE so I have a better chance of seeing them and NOT driving into them.. 

if you ever see a bike the only think you need to do is maintain. just keep doin exactly what your doing and the bike will do what he needs to do. do try to get out of his way cuz some asshole could have come up on your other side while you were paying attention to the bike.

I hope you die in a fire if you truely believe that and would do it. It's assholes like you that kill people on the road over a jealously thing. You're jealous you can't split the lane and that you're stuck in traffic. That's just the type of accident that would kill a guy with 3 kids and a wife that could have been avoided by you not being a douche. Now kindly fcuk off asshole.

stay in your lane and there wont be an issue. You are not that important where you get to ride between lanes. You want respect then respect the rules that everybody else follows. Since i have a giant truck do i get to push whoever out of my way. No. Stop making exemptions for yourself that dont exist. Oh and yes when i am on patrol and i see bikes doing that i crush them. A large portion of bike riders have a sense of entitlement on the road. It needs to stop

Mod edit: By "crush" he means "write a ticket". This is common LEO-speak, it does not mean literally run over someone.

Edited by Jon
Clarification

if you ever see a bike the only think you need to do is maintain. just keep doin exactly what your doing and the bike will do what he needs to do. do try to get out of his way cuz some asshole could have come up on your other side while you were paying attention to the bike.

appreciate the fact that you think every rider is some gifted experience skilled individual.... but you are flat out wrong...

I have seen plenty of bad car drivers... but I have seen way more dangerous guys on bikes.... 

in fact just the other day I was walking my niece and nephews to the park to play... and some asshole on a street bike rolls out of his driveway in a residential area and goes wide open throttle... im sure its fun.. but not reasonable... that guy should not have a license.. and it is the actions of people like that that make me say no way to giving riders MORE freedom... they are dangerous enough as it is.. 

appreciate the fact that you think every rider is some gifted experience skilled individual.... but you are flat out wrong...

I have seen plenty of bad car drivers... but I have seen way more dangerous guys on bikes.... 

in fact just the other day I was walking my niece and nephews to the park to play... and some asshole on a street bike rolls out of his driveway in a residential area and goes wide open throttle... im sure its fun.. but not reasonable... that guy should not have a license.. and it is the actions of people like that that make me say no way to giving riders MORE freedom... they are dangerous enough as it is.. 

i don't think every rider is a good rider. but i've seen many people notice a bike and almost crash trying to avoid it. there's no need to do anything special just because a bike it there. and i just noticed i put "do try to get out of his way" i meant to put "don't try to..."

i don't think every rider is a good rider. but i've seen many people notice a bike and almost crash trying to avoid it. there's no need to do anything special just because a bike it there. and i just noticed i put "do try to get out of his way" i meant to put "don't try to..."

when I say get out of his way what I mean is I will generally yield to them when on the highway.. give them room to pass.. things like that because I like to allow them a little more room to make the decisions they want to make... I am not saying I swerve into the woods to get out of their way... I give them a fair amount of consideration.. 

In the news, on Friday, Governor Christie signed 10 gun control bills, two of them negatively impacting law-abiding gun-owners.

In other news, the members of the NJGunForums are more focused on motorcycles than the new gun laws getting rammed down our throats.

Couldn't help it. LOL.

In the news, on Friday, Governor Christie signed 10 gun control bills, two of them negatively impacting law-abiding gun-owners.

In other news, the members of the NJGunForums are more focused on motorcycles than the new gun laws getting rammed down our throats.

Couldn't help it. LOL.

well we cant do anything about the laws he signed except send money to NJ2AS and the ANJRPC for a legal battle. which i've done, have you? i've sent numerous emails about them before he signed them and about the ones he has yet to act on as well. so what else can we do? we cant talk about guns 24/7 can we? are we not allowed to have other hobbies? i'm not allowed to be passionate about something else besides guns?

well we cant do anything about the laws he signed except send money to NJ2AS and the ANJRPC for a legal battle. which i've done, have you? i've sent numerous emails about them before he signed them and about the ones he has yet to act on as well. so what else can we do? we cant talk about guns 24/7 can we? are we not allowed to have other hobbies? i'm not allowed to be passionate about something else besides guns?

Yes, I have donated and joined NJ2AS.

Point taken.

I considered getting my license, but I've seen way too many fatalities that I would ride a bike in this state. I helped my friend drop his bike off at Xtreme Machines, and you see some bad stuff in the back... like the bikes that go under tractor trailers.

While I respect bikers, they do tend to come off like asses. A few weeks back, there was a ride that had to do with Sandy recovery (I looked it up after). Maybe 1,200 bikes were supposed to go down 138 (to about where it turns into 195), then head south on 34 towards Mantoloking. Someone screwed up, so they all made a U turn at the next exit, which is 547 in Howell. Smart way to do that would be hit the south 547 exit (they were heading west) and stay straight to go back east. DIDN'T DO THAT! They got off 547 north, cut over to the south side, then took that same exit back. For about 25 minutes, this group blocked one of the main routes to go over 195. Ok, crap happens. Yet, when people got annoyed, which is very understandable since we all pay to register out vehicles and thus have a right to use the road, they started cursing and flipping us off who were stuck. Once one did it, and those behind them saw, it was continuous. Yea, there are bad apples in every group, but it was way more than 1 out of 6 in that occurrence... and that was because the lead guy didn't know where he was going. Did people cut into the flow of bikes to continue on their way? Maybe six or so did, but I know the one behind me didn't because of how I stopped (no room for her to back up, either).

So while I do give bikes plenty of space, a very good chunk of them do act like they are entitled, which just increases the animosity towards them.

stay in your lane and there wont be an issue. You are not that important where you get to ride between lanes. You want respect then respect the rules that everybody else follows. Since i have a giant truck do i get to push whoever out of my way. No. Stop making exemptions for yourself that dont exist. Oh and yes when i am on patrol and i see bikes doing that i crush them. A large portion of bike riders have a sense of entitlement on the road. It needs to stop

Everybody in NJ has a sense of entitlement on the roads. I've been riding for most my life and I don't make a habit of splitting lanes because it isn't safe. However, I have no issue with riding up the shoulder. If traffic is doing 5-10 I may do 25 tops to limit the danger to myself. 

That being said, I cannot understand the pettiness that must exit in a person for them to get so upset by the fact that a motorcycle is moving while they are sitting still that they would willingly do bodily harm or possibly kill a biker by pulling out in front of him or opening a door. I've seen it, never been done to me, but I've seen it.