gfl216

1911 in 9mm?

I have one P2P left that I was going to buy a Glock 19 but, now I'm thinking maybe a 1911 in 9mm. I'm not a 1911 guy so I don't know a lot about what's out there. I'm looking in the $600 to $800 range. Can you guys tell me if there is anything decent out there in that price range?

Someone with more expertise can correct me if I am wrong but I believe STI is the main player in the $6-800 9mm 1911 game.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=360227148

in that price range yes. A little less will get you a Rock Island or Taurus. Both excellent choices as well

If you want a Spartan V in 9mm, Dawson has them in stock.  According to their webpage, shipping is free for in stock STI guns featured on their main page.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000AE1-1263828368

I was thinking about the Spartan V as a cheap intro to a 1911 in 9mm.  If I like it, I can then look into something nicer but my research on this was that things were always a hit or miss regardless of the gun.

The emp from Springfield is nice but a little more then you are lookin to spend and I think it's more commander sized. The most popular ones I have seen are the Sti. What about para it seems I remember seeing one in 9 I think not sure sorry

Edit I take the part about para back just looked on their website thy have a few but they are either small carry guns of 1400 dollar custom guns with double stack 18 rd mags

If you're looking to buy NEW, choices are limited and probably the STI Spartan is your best bet.  If you don't mind used, try looking for a decent STI Trojan.  Shoots very well, good ergonomics, thin grip profile due to single stack, manageable recoil.

I'm also looking for a shooter Hi-Power, but the prices on the Brownings are crazy.  Maybe I'll settle for a good clone.

arnold r.

A celebrated forum member once told me that the weakness in the 9mm 1911s is the magazines.  Perhaps others on here can elaborate.  I'd still consider getting one, maybe the STI Spartan, or, if Ruger starts producing an SR1911 in 9mm.

What do you want this gun for?  How will it fit with what you already have? 

If you want a purely defensive handgun, then I would stick with the Glock.  If you already have a good defensive handgun, then maybe expand to another platform, such as a 1911. 

1911's in 9mm have a reputation as not as reliable as in other calibers. I know my Springfield Loaded Operator in 9mm wouldn't digest anything other than 147grain ammo well. 115 was a no-go and 124 was iffy. This is an often brought up topic on the 1911 forums.

I have an STI Spartan in 9mm and I haven't had any issues with it. I had an issue with mags that I thought was the gun at first but now that I use CMC or Wilson mags I haven't had a problem. Its a good gun and I have about 15 mags for it, but it only likes certain ones!

1911's in 9mm have a reputation as not as reliable as in other calibers. I know my Springfield Loaded Operator in 9mm wouldn't digest anything other than 147grain ammo well. 115 was a no-go and 124 was iffy. This is an often brought up topic on the 1911 forums.

I use 115 exclusively in my RIA 1911 and it's as reliable as any other 9mm I've shot. 

Your posts are very informative.  

I take it you only shoot .50 BMG rifles and .500 SW handguns because you're so manly?

I'm a 22lr guy myself.  Chicks dig the 22s also.

Just saying it's like asking for diet ice cream.  Some ideas just don't make a lot of sense.

Granted it's not a 1911, but a very similar design: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Flickr_-_~Steve_Z~_-_1971_Browning_Hi_Power_10.jpg

It's been working for 80 years

Even invented by the same guy...

Hey dude, are you stalking me because your name is Mickey too? I already have enough groupies at the range....

When you want a beer, you want a REAL beer at the bar, right?  Or are you going to ask for a light beer?

What would the WWII GIs think of our current generation if they found out we like 1911s in 9mm? Hello?

Hey dude, are you stalking me because your name is Mickey too? I already have enough groupies at the range....

When you want a beer, you want a REAL beer at the bar, right?  Or are you going to ask for a light beer?

What would the WWII GIs think of our current generation if they found out we like 1911s in 9mm? Hello?

Dude, reading is not your forte apparently.  Mikey != Mickey

I wish you the best of luck in all of your manly endeavors.

Dude, reading is not your forte apparently.  Mikey != Mickey

I wish you the best of luck in all of your manly endeavors.

I didn't want to embarrass you by pointing out that you had a typo &  was just a really bad typist.  I also used to type with 2 fingers but I'm better now. Hope you will be too.  Practice practice practice