dwamp2006

AR part legality questions.....

I ordered a parts kit from PSA over the weekend, in it came a "premium full auto BCG" are these legal to own in NJ? It also came with a collapsible Magpul MOE stock, which I think is legal until its actually installed on the gun, but will be pinned before I get the upper. The reason I ask is because I work with a part time LEO who also a firearms instructor. He said he knew people that have been jammed up because of possession of the parts only, and that the m16 bcg is completely illegal even as a part if I get caught with it. just to add, I don't even have an upper or a lower receiver yet.

Hes on the other side of my computer while im on here, still telling me whats illegal (most of which ive seen here and sure its not), my head hurts! He also said he only has 10rd mags for his AR because he doesn't know how people get away with the blocked magpul mags. PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!! To his credit he did say he doesn't care what I have but to just "be careful"....

Just tell him to STFU until he learns the laws!

Funny things is, the reason hes telling me to be careful is because most LEO don't know the laws. I dunno I guess there needs to be better training on this subject with LEO. I cant really fault them for not knowing if they aren't taught it.

100% legal to own an Auto or M16 BCG.

I am embarrassed that a LEO, even part time, doesn't know this :facepalm:

I swear, I am going to write up a NJ firearms law primer and start teaching in the academies and offering in house training for patrol divisions.

you should!!!!  I'm serious as even in our house it's amazing the lack of firearms knowledge and rules governance there is

here is one on a brake as I'm not sure on this one

egw guns a2 brake....is this legal and if so, how cause it sure looks like the birdcage to me.

http://www.egwguns.com/ar-compensators/ar-comp-post-ban-gen-ii-w/peel-washer/?main_page=product_info&cPath=53&products_id=93

egw guns a2 brake....is this legal and if so, how cause it sure looks like the birdcage to me.

http://www.egwguns.com/ar-compensators/ar-comp-post-ban-gen-ii-w/peel-washer/?main_page=product_info&cPath=53&products_id=93

The opening is only the size of the bullet, making it a comp. if it was a big hole/open ended (pinky test) that would make it a flash hider, so IMO that is legal.

I have been getting that same brake through dpms for 30$. I you need one i have extras tapped with a stainless set screw ready to go for 38$. These are damn loud. I one time took a shot without my ears on i swore i was going to be bleeding from my ear. The ringing lasted a good day. All comps are loud This one is no different.

whenever someone claims something stupid like this I leave it with the following statement...

tell me the law that applies...  they will try to say something stupid that is not the actual law.... at this point you stop them again and tell them they dont need an answer right this second.. and you are willing to let them search for it.. but you would like to know the EXACT law that applies..... they will obviously not be able to find one... 

I cant really fault them for not knowing if they aren't taught it.

That is a BS excuse. Where you led by the hand and taught everything you need to know at your job? Or did you show some initiative and seek out more information on topics that you found yourself lacking or wanted a deeper understanding of.

If you don't know your job essential knowledge is lacking, that is one thing, you can't know what you don't know and not everyone can know everything. I also understand that everyone has certain strengths and weaknesses, maybe he is the "go to guy" for information one Drugs, Domestic Violence, or Traffic laws. But once it is pointed out to you that you have holes in your knowledge, entire sections of knowledge that you are responsible to know that are severely lacking, it is up to you to fix them. That is part of being a professional.

Tell him to read this. See if he gets anything from it: http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/199th/ocs/content/pdf/Message%20to%20Garcia.pdf

Funny things is, the reason hes telling me to be careful is because most LEO don't know the laws. I dunno I guess there needs to be better training on this subject with LEO. I cant really fault them for not knowing if they aren't taught it.

Apparently this LEO doesn't know either!

tell him to bone up on the law before he starts siting it - jmo

And i know it was previously answered, but to be clear - A Full Auto BCG only means

it is capible of handling the excess stress in a Full Auto weapon. It is slightly heavier

and more durable, that's it.

What he thinks he's talking about is a Full Auto Sear, NOT A BCG.

And a Flash hider is not illegal unless it is on a Semi Auto weapon that has another

evil feature, in combination with would make the weapon classify as an assault weapon.

In itself - Flash Hiders are not illegal.

I have that comp on all 4 of my AR's. It is no louder than an A2 flash suppressor, although I guess that is somewhat subjective.

The opening is only the size of the bullet, making it a comp. if it was a big hole/open ended (pinky test) that would make it a flash hider, so IMO that is legal.

That's not all. The inside of the birdcage style comp isn't star shaped like an a2 flash suppressor. That is done so it maximizes the surface area that the hit gasses are exposed to which helps reduce the temp and thus the brightness of the gas. The comp also only has slots on the top half of the muzzle d