Albanian

Textbook misinformation about the 2nd Amendment, this time from NJ.

Publisher is Houghton Mifflin Company

Title is The American Pageant.

Authors are David Kennedy, Lizabeth Cohen, and Thomas Bailey

I didn't check the year and I don't have access to the book right now.

It is an Advanced Placement book.

That was my AP US History textbook in high school some 6 years ago and it's complete garbage.

Thomas Bailey is responsible for helping perpetuate the myth that Columbus was some round Earth visionary while his men were scared of sailing off the edge.

Utter pigswallow: Western Europe knew the Earth was round from their worship of Aristotle's teachings.

The American Pageant is full of holes and lies like this, and my teacher was not shy about it. He hated the fact that our district had chosen this text.

Fun fact: in that very same class, we had a huge discussion about the meaning of the 2A. This was before Heller and in suburban Union County so you can imagine how most people went. "The National Guard is our militia!" "It was written hundreds of years ago" "They didn't know about assault weapons".... funny how the anti's are still repeating the same old garbage.

I was proud to be different that day.

I cringe every time I hear the word indoctrination in the context of public schooling. As a recent graduate of said public schooling, it couldn't be any further from the truth. Parents are far more often the medium of indoctrination than educational facilities.

Sit down, listen, shut up. I am right, you are wrong. That is schooling. Parents can be bad too obviously.

I cringe every time I hear the word indoctrination in the context of public schooling. As a recent graduate of said public schooling, it couldn't be any further from the truth. Parents are far more often the medium of indoctrination than educational facilities.

Right vs. left out of it, when I was in HS, I got in some significant trouble for disseminating documentation about an assembly hosted by a really odd motivational company. They claimed they could get your student pop in line with any administrative objectives via their awesome coolness that teenagers would be magically attracted to, and oh yeah, subliminal messaging.

I don't know which was worse, the total creepiness of said company and the administration using them, or the tens of thousands of dollars pissed away on methodology that had been clinically disproven repeatedly.

Their chosen message was along the lines of behave, take your vitamins, obey the administration, don't question authority, and study hard for your standardized tests. Their justification was more or less "it's for your own good."

Dip your toe in the text book selection process too.

Indoctrination is an appropriate term, although not in the way most people bring it up. It's less about what those who object to their parental dogma being contradicted by institutional dogma, and more about turning the populace into a docile shade of unobjectionable ultra beige that gets maximum funding with minimal work.

Right vs. left out of it, when I was in HS, I got in some significant trouble for disseminating documentation about an assembly hosted by a really odd motivational company. They claimed they could get your student pop in line with any administrative objectives via their awesome coolness that teenagers would be magically attracted to, and oh yeah, subliminal messaging.

I don't know which was worse, the total creepiness of said company and the administration using them, or the tens of thousands of dollars pissed away on methodology that had been clinically disproven repeatedly.

Their chosen message was along the lines of behave, take your vitamins, obey the administration, don't question authority, and study hard for your standardized tests. Their justification was more or less "it's for your own good."

Dip your toe in the text book selection process too.

Indoctrination is an appropriate term, although not in the way most people bring it up. It's less about what those who object to their parental dogma being contradicted by institutional dogma, and more about turning the populace into a docile shade of unobjectionable ultra beige that gets maximum funding with minimal work.

No highschool is perfect and the situation you cited is reason to be concerned, but it doesn't seem to be an indicator of some higher, systematic behavior. If we want to talk about damage to our public school systems on the institutional level, the conversation simply wouldn't be complete without Bush 2.0's NCLB.

By design, school environments are authoritarian in nature (as is the business world). I don't see this as a problem. Kids will be kids and if there is to be any effective means of education there needs to be a leader in the classroom who can control the environment to keep it conducive to learning. This isn't directed to you, but what other type of system is being suggested? Hmm? Is every classroom going to start electing "class representatives" to communicate the rest of the classes concerns to the teacher? Are students going to need to go through due-process before getting a 0 on a 10pt homework assignment? Some people seem to be crying about anything short of anarchy without suggesting anything to improve the status quo.

I turned out fine (at least I think I did), and it bothers me that there's a bunch of self-righteous parents out there who insist on being armchair quarterbacks and then piss and moan when the school doesn't teach their kid the preferred brand of political idealology.

Biggest thing you learn in school

Obey

zyFTQFQ.gif

I think that little quip is more indicative of your increasing pessimism than your wisdom.

Toadette there has been a lot of research done on the issues you bring up. My analysis of it shows me that authoriatarian based schooling is a poor way to help people learn. In fact, learning is not about being controlled but about being allowed the freedom to explore, maybe with a guide to help along the way if need be. I suggest, if you are interested, looking up the works of John Holt, Alfie Kohn, and John Taylor Gatto.

As for your comparison to the business world. I don't know what business forces me to remain there and demand I obey every word without an option to leave for another business or oppurtunity to really have my complaints listened to and considered. Hell even try to tell me how to think, force me in age (or gender) segragated situations, regulates when I can use the bathroom... eat... talk etc.  Such a company would be out of business relatively quickly I assume or deal with a low denominator.

My daughter is eleven & this is how it goes. If anything goes wrong it Chris Christie's fault & everything good was Obama doing. I asked her to elaborate & she couldn't, then I saw the light bulb of understanding go off in her head. Now she at least runs some of the crazy shit past me first before taking it as truth.

Toadette there has been a lot of research done on the issues you bring up. My analysis of it shows me that authoriatarian based schooling is a poor way to help people learn. In fact, learning is not about being controlled but about being allowed the freedom to explore, maybe with a guide to help along the way if need be. I suggest, if you are interested, looking up the works of John Holt, Alfie Kohn, and John Taylor Gatto.

As for your comparison to the business world. I don't know what business forces me to remain there and demand I obey every word without an option to leave for another business or oppurtunity to really have my complaints listened to and considered. Hell even try to tell me how to think, force me in age (or gender) segragated situations, regulates when I can use the bathroom... eat... talk etc.  Such a company would be out of business relatively quickly I assume or deal with a low denominator.

I think we're running into some semantic issues. When I use the word authoritarian, I refer to a system in which there is a clear director of the classroom who can control the environment un-democratically. I'm not talking about old school Catholic I'll-slap-your-hand-with-a-ruler-if you-write-with-your-left-hand kind of authoritarian system. The ability for a teacher to remain in control of a classroom while simultaneously creating a open and friendly atmosphere isn't impossible. I would largely vouch for a, dare I say, more progressive educational philosophy in our schools.

The focus of my disagreement was my reference to self-important parents acting as armchair quarterbacks. To speak frankly, the large majority of this board is quite far right on the political spectrum, and I have a hard time believing that many parents here would have a problem with schools if they blatantly affirmed their political ideology. Or, in other words, there's only a problem when schools teach kids something different than what they're taught at home, because apparently parents are always right and never wrong (especially about politics).

That's ok, seems the US Senate has a hard time being honest about the 2nd Amendment:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/09/25/Senate-Website-Gets-Second-Amendment-Wrong

You expected something different from a narrative written by and for a group that is mostly progressives?

SgtToadette, on 22 Sept 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

Bullshizz....

as a RECENT graduate of said public schooling, YOU would have NO idea that they programmed you.

US old guys...yea, we know. School was a lot different just 20 years ago

Bullshizz....

as a RECENT graduate of said public schooling, YOU would have NO idea that they programmed you.

US old guys...yea, we know. School was a lot different just 20 years ago

I would find your lack of substance humorous if it weren't so common with the perspective you hold. It's quite mundane actually. Try again.

Should this be pointed out, if teachers are teaching it it become law i know it will take some time, the tables can be turned if it is not pointed out ?

What do you do to have that changed especially if you do not have a child tending that school or do not live in that township ?

I can see some Obama following senator 30 years from now holding up text books saying military only !! to disarm Americans..