A-Tech

First 870 - What would you do?

So  I just bought my first 870 yesterday. Only change is the XS sights. What say all of the 870 gurus on what I should do to improve my new shotgun? I'm sure the stock will go as well as a mag tube extension. Anything else I should know about?

I would take a picture of it, sell it on the forum, and use the money to buy a Mossberg 500.

:russian:

But seriously, much of it depends on what you plan to use the gun for.  If it's home defense I would say that the #1 accessory would be a sidesaddle or buttstock shell holder.  After that, maybe a flashlight.

The 870 is pretty darn good out of the box.  You have a fine gun.

So  I just bought my first 870 yesterday. Only change is the XS sights. What say all of the 870 gurus on what I should do to improve my new shotgun? I'm sure the stock will go as well as a mag tube extension. Anything else I should know about?

Upgrades completed:

• Jumbo Head Safety
  • Stainless Steel Follower
  • Non-MIM Extractor
  • TacStar Side Saddle
  • Shotgun Flashlight Mount Picitinny Rail

http://www.rem870.com/2012/10/17/10-must-have-upgrades-for-your-remington-870-shotgun/

http://www.rem870.co...r-less-than-20/ 

Before you think about mods, put a good quantity of ammo through it and make sure it is 100% reliable. Then you must test fire after each mod to make sure the modded gun is reliable. A tricked-out firearm that is not reliable is pretty darn useless. Please note that there have been extraction /ejection issues with recent 870's; and some people recommend replacing the MIM extractor with a forged, milled steel one, as Rifleman1 has done. But again, shoot it before you change anything and test reliability; you might find an issue that will be covered under warranty. 

+1 on these items. Everything else I would say depends on what you're setting up this gun for.

• Jumbo Head Safety
  • Stainless Steel Follower (or some color OTHER than the color of the rim of the shells you use)

BTW, which model 870 did you get, and how do you like the XS sights?

870 Tacticool. Got the one with the XS sights for 2 reasons...I don't like bead, and they had it on the shelf...haven't shot it yet though.

As for testing before modding, I'm not trying to build a super operator high speed shotgun. I'm asking more about the common problems that get fixed by swap. Like the extractor and follower...as for a warranty..that was voided the SECOND I purchased it.