big five

Did I.over.pay?

With apologies to OP (I hate to pile on and don't mean to make you feel bad), but for the sake of others  in the market who aren't sure of pricing, $875 is definitely too much, even if that's out the door.

MSRP is $839.99

Online, much less. For instance:

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/104547/c/hot-deals

$619.99, shipped. Add $40ish for transfer/NICS and you're still at $200 less (that's almost a 1/3 of the price!)

If you prefer to buy local (and you should), you're probably looking at around $700+/- a few dollars.

It's not exactly rip-off pricing like we saw after Newtown, but it isn't good either.

Put another way, if Cabelas had 2k rounds of bulk 9mm for $600 and your local shop had the same for $725, would you say "not bad" about some other shop selling it for $875?

Right. Well entry level ARs are just as fungible as ammo.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I brought it from a vendor

I hate to say it, but just because someone is a vendor here, it does not guarantee anything about their pricing. Our new and "improved" classified system has more vendor content than in the past. I must say I have been underwhelmed by SOME of their pricing.

With apologies to OP (I hate to pile on and don't mean to make you feel bad), but for the sake of others  in the market who aren't sure of pricing, $875 is definitely too much, even if that's out the door.

MSRP is $839.99

Online, much less. For instance:

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/104547/c/hot-deals

$619.99, shipped. Add $40ish for transfer/NICS and you're still at $200 less (that's almost a 1/3 of the price!)

If you prefer to buy local (and you should), you're probably looking at around $700+/- a few dollars.

It's not exactly rip-off pricing like we saw after Newtown, but it isn't good either.

Put another way, if Cabelas had 2k rounds of bulk 9mm for $600 and your local shop had the same for $725, would you say "not bad" about some other shop selling it for $875?

Right. Well entry level ARs are just as fungible as ammo.

Just one point in Alpo's post - the M&P Sport listed in Sports'man's is NOT NJ Compliant

and would need to have the Bayonet lug removed, the Flash Hider removed, a Muzzle break

installed and the barrel pinned. This all costs money!

Now, I'm not going to say you cant find a similar deal on a NJ compliant gun, they do pop up 

from time to time, but the gun listed in Sportsman's in not that gun.

Just one point in Alpo's post - the M&P Sport listed in Sports'man's is NOT NJ Compliant

and would need to have the Bayonet lug removed, the Flash Hider removed, a Muzzle break

installed and the barrel pinned. This all costs money!

Now, I'm not going to say you cant find a similar deal on a NJ compliant gun, they do pop up

from time to time, but the gun listed in Sportsman's in not that gun...................

Thanks for that, i should have looked closer.

And another reason to support local (non gouging) shops

Alright guys I can't help but think were just pouring salt on an open wound here. Sure he overpaid but what's done is done.

Key thing here is that you are happy with the rifle and just go shoot the crap out of it!

if the price was good enough to make you pull the trigger on the purchase then you did not overpay...

guns are essentially worth what people are willing to pay for them... the shop quoted you.. you looked at it.. and decided this gun IS worth that much.. i'll buy.. so as far as I am concerned not a whole lot else matters... because in MY opinion an off the shelf AR is rarely the "right answer" so asking us is going to get you a million answers.. 

I had a S&W AR and it ran fine..

for future reference 

"would you pay this much for this"

is a better question than

"did I pay too much for this"

I got a NJ compliant M&P-15 Sport a month ago for $675 (cash) + tax + NICS

The shop probably would have done $675 credit, but they are good guys and I figured they could use the extra 2% in their bank account.  So far I've gotten 5 guns from them and they always cut the best deal.

Two other local shops were asking $700 and $799 respectively, + 2% CC fee + tax + NICS

I got a NJ compliant M&P-15 Sport a month ago for $675 (cash) + tax + NICS

The shop probably would have done $675 credit, but they are good guys and I figured they could use the extra 2% in their bank account.  So far I've gotten 5 guns from them and they always cut the best deal.

Two other local shops were asking $700 and $799 respectively, + 2% CC fee + tax + NICS

Can you share the details of the shop? Always looking for fairly priced shops with good service.

I have 6 M&P 15 Sport's arriving on Tuesday. Five are spoken for, the sixth one will go on the daily specials. The  price on-line is $680 + tax, NO NICS or other fees if purchased on-line. If you are a CJRPC club member it's an additional 5% off for every purchase,  and if you "like" us on Facebook or follow our Twitter link it's another 2.5% one time coupon for to be used on any purchase. 

Unfortunately you paid above list price for that firearm. Not unusual with some vendors.