bulpup

Wtf is this?

Chopping out roots and stumps today, i had everything I was aware of marked such as my ground wires and rods. Hit this thing with a pick axe. It is a fibrous pipe similar in composition to a roofing shingle I would say, and it smells like it is impregnated with petroleum. Actually smells like gasoline to be honest. I can't see that there is any kind of fluid going through this but the dirt that got into it when it opened up might be hiding something. It doesn't go out to the street but it haven't found if it connects to anything. Any ideas?

utebyte3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

wondering if there is an EPA procedure for its removal.

Not a phone call I'm going to make

It's old drainage pipe as everyone else has said --  Very common to find it clogged, crushed and full of roots

Whatever system it was tied into has been replaced or is not working.  Being in the irrigation business I find that stuff all the time

Well the house was built in the 30's so I guess it is original. I gotta tell ya, it smells so much of petroleum that I was wondering if there is an EPA procedure for its removal.

Don't think of such things. You would be held responsible for any cleanup. You are not responsible for any discharge, so don't do anything stupid. If I took a sample in my rural backyard in PA it would exceed NJDEP Soil Remediation Standards for something, likely naturally occurring metals.

Don't believe me? Ask your lawyer these two questions:

1. Did you perform a Phase I before you bought your house? If you did, you would have innocent purchaser's defense against environmental issues not discovered in the Phase I. If not, you are on the hook with anything at your house. Even if it's buried drums from the chemical plant across town and a 1 mile groundwater plume 300 feet deep.

2. NJDEP does not care about a Phase I. Did you perform an NJDEP Preliminary Assessment? No, you did not. You are personally accountable for any environmental issues on your property.

Don't be stupid. You haven't discharged any substances, so your lawyer will tell you not to make any phone calls.

Don't think of such things. You would be held responsible for any cleanup. You are not responsible for any discharge, so don't do anything stupid. If I took a sample in my rural backyard in PA it would exceed NJDEP Soil Remediation Standards for something, likely naturally occurring metals.

Don't believe me? Ask your lawyer these two questions:

1. Did you perform a Phase I before you bought your house? If you did, you would have innocent purchaser's defense against environmental issues not discovered in the Phase I. If not, you are on the hook with anything at your house. Even if it's buried drums from the chemical plant across town and a 1 mile groundwater plume 300 feet deep.

2. NJDEP does not care about a Phase I. Did you perform an NJDEP Preliminary Assessment? No, you did not. You are personally accountable for any environmental issues on your property.

Don't be stupid. You haven't discharged any substances, so your lawyer will tell you not to make any phone calls.

+1

Thanks. The reply's are bullet proof in their logic. Although my iPhone...., being clear and having the time time type out everything I am thinking are at odds.

So to be clear, I can just throw this in the garbage without fear of a ticket? Also, if I left it in place and a future inspection when I get ready to sell found it would it be an epa issue like a buried oil tank pipe?

Old drain pipe from gutters most likely.. my house had it when i purchased it and the town made the previous owner remove it during inspection..Plus it drained into the lagoon which is not allowed anymore that was 1991..

Thanks, i skipped this earlier. What kind of removal did they require?

And the answer is, class 13c waste. To be disposed of in the same manner as demolition debris. Easy.

Thanks everyone. I am glad you all could help me out with this. Funny how a gun forum can be a great go to for all your needs.

BTW that pipe isn't called Orangeburg, Orangeburg Pipe foundry is the company in Orangeburg NY that made the pipe, and they made many different types of pipe than just Betuminus fiber. That pipe is betuminus fiber pipe, could be any brand not just Orangeburg. Thats like calling every car on the road a Chevy. Probably either an old gray water dry well, roof drainage/sump pit drainage. Or possibly an old private building waste system (or septic to the laymen). Chances are it wasn't ever used for waste pipe though, atleast it shouldn't have been.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

BTW that pipe isn't called Orangeburg, Orangeburg Pipe foundry is the company in Orangeburg NY that made the pipe, and they made many different types of pipe than just Betuminus fiber. That pipe is betuminus fiber pipe, could be any brand not just Orangeburg. Thats like calling every car on the road a Chevy. Probably either an old gray water dry well, roof drainage/sump pit drainage. Or possibly an old private building waste system (or septic to the laymen). Chances are it wasn't ever used for waste pipe though, atleast it shouldn't have been. Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

Most of this pipe that I've encountered was used for drainage - connecting gutter leaders and storm drains and what not together.