OBRAMS

OBRAMS December 21,2013 - Rimfire Tactical Precision Match

OBRAMS PRECISION TACTICAL RIMFIRE MATCH BULLETIN

We are introducing a new type of match to our lineup; a “Precision Tactical “ Rimfire Rifle match.  What does “Tactical Precision” mean?  Well, you will be faced with “Precision” shooting challenges similar to those encountered by “Tactical” marksman (such as Law Enforcement and Military snipers).  The goal is to provide a precision/tactical match experience and training/practice that can be done at low cost, easy for beginners to get into, and are fun and low key.  At a time when many shooters are worried about gas prices and ammo costs, the rimfire precision tactical match offers a "high fun factor" experience that won't bust your budget. 

The match consists of six “stages”, all shot from a specified position (for this match it is prone, on the ground) at 50 yards. Various targets with different layouts will be used. There will be time restrictions on each stage, but not so restrictive that you cannot get good, well aimed shots off.

Any functioning safe rifle of a small-bore rimfire chambering is allowed. This includes, but is not limited too, .22 Long Rifle, .22 Magnum, .17 HMR, etc.

Any “field-type” supporting device(s) are allowed. An example of an allowed device would be a bipod, sandbag, or rucksack. A disallowed device would be a “Lead-Slead” or shooting vise.

Any sight type and combination is allowed.

DIVISIONS:                .22LR  (no magnums)                        Any Rimfire other than .22LR (includes magnums)

CATEGORIES:  within each division there will be these categories - 

Open –              Optical sights             

Iron-Tactical –    Iron sights                           

MATCH RULES:

• All shots are to be fired from the position specified for that specific match, unless the competitor cannot physically shoot from the required position. In such a situation, accommodations will be made.
  • Any “field-type” supporting device(s) are allowed. An example of an allowed device would be a bipod, sandbag, or rucksack.
  • Any shooting style is allowed, provided it conforms with division rules.
  • Any sight type and combination is allowed.

RIFLE RULES:

• Any rifle of a small-bore rimfire chambering (bolt action, semi auto, single shot, lever, and pump actions) is allowed. This includes, but is not limited to: .22 Long Rifle, .22 Magnum, .17 HMR, 5mm, etc.
  • The same gun MUST be fired throughout the course unless verified as having a mechanical or optical failure by the Match Director.

EQUIPMENT:

As targets will be challenging in size, quality optics are recommended (minimum 10X). 

• Bipods or packs are allowed.
  • No mechanical front rests. 
  • No rear bag, monopod, or rear rest of any kind.
  • Shooting mats, elbow pads, etc are allowed.
  • The Match Director will have the final decision on the legality of equipment.

SAFETY:

• Required use of open chamber indicators/flags at all times except after the load command has been given.

• ALL bolts and actions must remain open at all times except when “on stage”.

• Failure to display open actions and Open Chamber Indicator will result in 1 warning, followed by a match disqualification.

• Eye and hearing protection must be worn by competitors, spotters, and bystanders.

• No horseplay or unsafe gun handling will be tolerated. 

OBRAMS Precision Tactical Rimfire Match – December 21, 2013 –Course of Fire

The match consists of five stages, all shot from prone at 50 yards.

Stage 1 – Don’t Bug Me --   5 minutes time  -  10 shots total  -  100 points possible total.

1 shot per fly   10 points body shot

5 points wing shot

2 points missing fly and wings but inside diamond

0 points outside diamond

-10 points if hit a yellow circle

Stage 2 – Play Pool  --  2 minutes time  -  10 shots total  -  100 points possible total.

10 shots per pool ball – shot at pool ball that is the same as your target number

10 points if hit white center of pool ball

5 points if hits ANY colored part of pool ball

0 points if hit outside of pool ball

Stage 3 – Know Your Limit  --  Know Your Limit – 2 minutes time  -   5 shots total  -  210 points possible total.

1 shot per circle –  stop when you want.  If you miss, 0 points for the stage.  Shot must break the line

completely to count for score. 

Stage 4 – 50 yard Speed  --  45 seconds  - 10 shots total - 100 points, double score if all dots are hit.

Shots must break the line completely to score.  If ALL the dots are hit (10 dots) the score doubles from 100 points to 200 points.

1 shot per dot              10 points per dot,

Stage 5 – Double Silhouettes  --  2 minutes – 10 shots total – 100 points possible.

Five shots on each silhouette.  Points per shot determined by ring hit.  Maximum 10 points per shot.

Stage 6 – Don’t Miss!  --  5 minutes – 10 shots total – 100 points possible.

1 shot on circle target, 1 shot per pair of silhouettes.  Hits on plus (+) silhouettes added up and then

the value of any hits on negative (-) silhouettes are subtracted to determine total score.  Shot on circle added to total.

So all of these stages will be at 50 yards... this sounds awesome!

Any suggestions on the best/most accurate ammo to use on a M&P 15-22? I've used Federal Bulk, CCI Stingers, Mini-Mags and AR Tactical with mixed results from the 15-22.

Is it 10 shots only or can you make up shots?

Ten shots per stage.  Only one shot per target on each stage.  See targets for stages 1 -2 -3 posted on www.OBRAMS.org.  On each target for each stage there will be 10 things to shoot at, circles, flies, etc.  Only one shot each. 

So all of these stages will be at 50 yards... this sounds awesome!

Any suggestions on the best/most accurate ammo to use on a M&P 15-22? I've used Federal Bulk, CCI Stingers, Mini-Mags and AR Tactical with mixed results from the 15-22.

Just like your personal taste in women, a .22 rifle will have it's own personal taste in ammo.  You have to try the different brands and see how they group.  The one shooting the smallest group is the one to use.  Most of the things you will be shooting at on each target are about 1 MOA.  At 50 yards that is 1/2".  So find an ammo that will shoot a group that small or smaller.  Only way is by trial and error.

Ten shots per stage.  Only one shot per target on each stage.  See targets for stages 1 -2 -3 posted on www.OBRAMS.org.  On each target for each stage there will be 10 things to shoot at, circles, flies, etc.  Only one shot each. 

FLIES??????

Do you think I can shoot as well as you or Rosie?

Can I have some 5" flies to shoot at? Please!

You will need  a scope !!!!

I just saw some of the targets, and you are right.

I've only got a crappy old scope from my bb gun when I was a kid, and nothing for my Sig 522.

We'll probably pass this one, but it does look like and sound like a fun match if you are properly equipped.

Good job trying something a little different and more challenging Iggy. 

I've only got a crappy old scope from my bb gun when I was a kid, and nothing for my Sig 522.

We'll probably pass this one, but it does look like and sound like a fun match if you are properly equipped.

Get a Trueglow Scope for $120.00

I think I have a spare Bushnell Rimfire scope in my bucket o' gun stuff. You're welcome to borrow it if it gets you guys into the match. Shouldn't take more than a few magazines to get it zeroed.

With the weather expected this weekend, any chance of a few sight-in shots before the first string?

We will have a "zeroing hour" from 9AM to 10AM.  1st relay starts shooting at 10AM.

Weather is not looking bad for this weekend.  Temps on Saturday in low 50's, 30% chance of rain.