302w

One realization I've made

Hey Pythagoras, stop being so obtuse! See what I did there? :) J/K... Don't take any of these comments to heart. I don't think anyone was calling you, or any other 20 something on this board, out personally. They were making general comments, most likely based on their own experiences. As we age our perspective changes, I'm sure most of us aren't the person we were when we were 17, 25, 30, etc. 

I was moreso rambling about the general stupidity of everything nowadays. 

For example, in the first grade my friends and I were all obsessed with Goldeneye64 and regularly talked about it in school and whatnot. If I were born ten or fifteen years later and mentioned Call of Duty in the first grade, I would probably be thrown into counseling to talk about violence and made to hug things while DYFS and the police showed up and arrested my dad for something stupid. 

Fond memories of Goldeneye.  I spent hours upon hours playing that game.

I'm 22 and I just don't see it that way. I think nostalgia for the past tends to make people forget how far we've come in plenty of areas and how bad some areas were back then.

Some things are better, and some are worse. I'd argue a lot of the better things are ultimately frivolous. Some of those better things have a distinct level of badness buried underneath.

To pick something apolitical, I'll use the smart phone as an example. They are cool and useful, but they are also The cause of a lot of traffic accidents. They foster communication with people you otherwise might not communicate with, while encouraging you to ignore the people around you. They have lowered the cost of a lot of useful software and fun entertainment, but have moved you into a market you don't get to decide how you use it, or if you can use it. They provide access to gobs of useful info, while inherently putting information that used to be secure/personal/unavailable at risk. They have grown in popularity so fast that they are a ubiquitous and well supported technology already, but that has also caused alternative options for a lot of tasks to become unavailable. Which means you are stuck with the abuse of your information by government and companies, with the only option being to abandon certain things altogether. They are cool as heck, but they also encourage you to choose cheap easy entertainment over real relationships, learning useful skills, and developing your talents. This is not a new problem, but we also never had this level of access to pushing the fun button as an alternative to something harder. The tv and Internet didn't follow us everywhere we go every waking minute.

Hey Pythagoras, stop being so obtuse! See what I did there? :) J/K... Don't take any of these comments to heart. I don't think anyone was calling you, or any other 20 something on this board, out personally. They were making general comments, most likely based on their own experiences. As we age our perspective changes, I'm sure most of us aren't the person we were when we were 17, 25, 30, etc.

Haha, nice one :).

Yeah you're right, I overreacted a bit. Sorry everyone, I had just finished pulling an all-nighter (for said grad school) and was a bit cranky :p

Of course our perspectives change, and I'll probably say the same stuff about 22 year olds when I get older....

Just a few observations from my past:

- I grew up in Manhattan, where I either walked by myself to school or took the subway using my monthly subway pass - about 14 blocks, or 2 stops. This was in ELEMENTARY school.

- From elementary through high schools, we could leave the school grounds for lunch.

- When I was around 10 yrs old, I started riding my bike down to battery park and taking the ferry across to Staten Island by myself and my parents didn't even think twice about it.

- When a friend first introduced me to firearms in the late 80s, we would just go down to the local gravel pit and fire away with the blessings of the local PD.

What a different world today..

FWIW, I'm 22 to give relevance to my ramblings.

I hear the 'old timers' talk about the figurative good old days. Back when you didn't need an FID, or when you generally could do harmless things in this state without people freaking out. Even as late as August of 2001 when you could be a kid and do stupid things without being labeled a domestic terrorist. 

Although I'm still pissed I missed out on $100 SKS rifles. 

You should always take "good old days" rants with a grain of salt. 

25 years ago only one state, to my knowledge, did not restrict the carry of a handgun. That state is Vermont. Today you can easily get a permit in 38-39 states and with some work in another 10. That's progress, although I believe the pendulum is swinging in the other direction.

50 years ago it was common to refer to homosexuals as "faggots," and black people as "niggers." Today those terms are pretty much expunged from polite discourse. More important, the sentiments that fueled those epithets are fading fast.

On the other hand mainstream society has made such accommodations that now we cannot criticize those groups or individuals within them, without an accusation of being "racist" or "homophobic." For example, try criticizing the Lawn Ornament-in-Chief to a liberal without, eventually, being labeled with the "R-word."

Have we made progress on those fronts? Or have we traded racism and an undue fear of homosexuality into a more insidious self-hatred?

We claim to have eliminated organized corruption in government. Yet have we? It's clear that congressmen and senators buy their offices by trading what's in YOUR wallets for what their constituents desire. 

I was born in Jersey City 59 years ago, in Margaret Hague Hospital. Back then, if someone reported a pothole on Communipaw Ave. the appropriate Hague commissar would send a contractor, likely one of the Mayor's cousins, to fix it. He'd bill the city $100, from which the mayor and various underlings would skim maybe half -- $50. Today you need a 12-person work crew plus at least one cop. Total cost, when you figure in the actual bill and the pensions and everything else, is probably $10,000. 

So have we cured corruption?

Are things better?

Let me take this opportunity to warn all of you who are under the age of 45 or so. Because for me it won't matter.

This country is going down the sewer. When -- not if -- when we legalize 15-20-30 million (nobody knows the real number) of illegals, and they start to vote (which i suspect many are already doing), that will be the end. THE END. We'll be finished. The USA will end. 

Many different scenarios can play out. We could have total chaos, anarchy, secession, I don't know. Maybe the supermarket shelves will be empty. Maybe the guys who run the municipal water systems will walk out. But it will happen. The preppers are crazy only in their timing. It won't happen next month (so watch those survival packets that expire in 2014), but it will happen.

Like I said, when the SHTF I'll be in a nursing home or dead. I hope the latter.

True but to hear 20 year old kids talking about working hard just makes me think 'you just started living and already your whining'.

Everyone has legitimate experiences. No matter the age. All people of all ages whine about dumb things. I laugh when older people whine that young adults still live at home, because it clearly shows they are just being nasty and not understanding the social and economic issues with it.

Everyone has legitimate experiences. No matter the age. All people of all ages whine about dumb things. I laugh when older people whine that young adults still live at home, because it clearly shows they are just being nasty and not understanding the social and economic issues with it.

Spoken like a true generation Y'er

When I was 20 I was a laborer digging ditches in refineries and helping bricklayers. I knew hard work.

I've been working construction with my dad since 14. Digging ditches, demoing steps, walls, etc, digging french drains, cleaning garbage.... Your point?

I know spoken like a true generation Y'r. Please look up inflation of.... everything and see how wages match up.

Do you want me to get stats? Stop being conceited and get over yourself.

Yeah, tell me about how hard it is to live at home with mom and dad as compared to paying for a mortgage or rent so you can house your family. You lose your job, no big deal. I lose my job, I'm on the street with the wife and kids. Lemme guess, you think you understand that. Wrong.

Yeah, tell me about how hard it is to live at home with mom and dad as compared to paying for a mortgage or rent so you can house your family. You lose your job, no big deal. I lose my job, I'm on the street with the wife and kids. Lemme guess, you think you understand that. Wrong.

So this is a contest to you? Let's see who has it the hardest? Oh maybe you think anyone who doesn't have it quite as hard as you has no right to speak? Understand what? We almost lost our house, me and my brother had to stop school and work to work in our dad's business for no pay to make sure we kept our house. I don't go around using that as a weapon or think I can just discount the experiences of others because they might now be as harsh. Keep it in perspective yes.

So this is a contest to you? Let's see who has it the hardest? Oh maybe you think anyone who doesn't have it quite as hard as you has no right to speak? Understand what? We almost lost our house, me and my brother had to stop school and work to work in our dad's business for no pay to make sure we kept our house. I don't go around using that as a weapon or think I can just discount the experiences of others because they might now be as harsh. Keep it in perspective yes.

There's no contest since there's no prize.

In your case, it sounds like you've gone through some real hardship. Support of family during a difficult time. Self sacrifice. I understand since I've been supporting my family for over 15 years.

Most twenty somethings today are whining about stuff that is silly in comparison like what one guy here said 'I had to study real hard to get my degree'. Seems to me that if a person can't see the investment in one self as worth it, they are pitiful. It's for you. Self investment.

In your case, it sounds like you've gone through some real hardship. Support of family during a difficult time. Self sacrifice. I understand since I've been supporting my family for over 15 years.

Most twenty somethings today are whining about stuff that is silly in comparison like what one guy here said 'I had to study real hard to get my degree'. Seems to me that if a person can't see the investment in one self as worth it, they are pitiful. It's for you. Self investment.

Would he not be studying real hard if he DIDN'T see the investment? why the hell else do it? I don't know whats worse, a 20 year old complaining how hard is to make a life for themselves, or the 50 year old complaining about his responsibilities..

I'm having a really hard time seeing two things: 1) what point you're making, and 2) how it holds any water whatsoever.

It seems to largely be a bunch of grumpy ramblings about how 'kids these days this' and 'kids these days that'. What you say has just as much merit as anything anyone else on this board has to say. If you feel obligated to play the age card as justification for your world view, then it seems to be a largely superficial world view.

P.S. Thanks for that economic crisis. My generation really appreciates it. Since we're going to play the blame game (because obviously it's always someone else's fault, right?), let's not forget who's generation currently runs this country.

I'm having a really hard time seeing two things: 1) what point you're making, and 2) how it holds any water whatsoever.

It seems to largely be a bunch of grumpy ramblings about how 'kids these days this' and 'kids these days that'. What you say has just as much merit as anything anyone else on this board has to say. If you feel obligated to play the age card as justification for your world view, then it seems to be a largely superficial world view.

P.S. Thanks for that economic crisis. My generation really appreciates it. Since we're going to play the blame game (because obviously it's always someone else's fault, right?), let's not forget who's generation currently runs this country.

The point I'm making is real simple. All that hard work you girls are whining about, us older guys have been doing it twice as long. Some even longer.  We've long found out that there no point in complaining. Just go about your business since there's nothing you can do about it..

As for the economic crisis, I'm not a banker, nor did I buy a home that I couldn't afford. The generation before me (hippies) are the 'if it makes us feel good, it must be right' people. The Clintons and folks like those are to blame. Direct your anger that direction.

By the way, wasn't it the 'you-tube / facebook crowd', that got him in? Thank you college kids for helping get Obama voted in. Stupid right?

Would he not be studying real hard if he DIDN'T see the investment? why the hell else do it? I don't know whats worse, a 20 year old complaining how hard is to make a life for themselves, or the 50 year old complaining about his responsibilities..

I truly hope he does see that the 'sacrifice' he is making now, does pay off in the long run. It just seems that many do not. I know a few college kids that are so friggin' undecided and of course, since they know it all, you can't tell them crap. I'd give a lot to be able to go back to my college days and actually finish.

The point I'm making is real simple. All that hard work you girls are whining about, us older guys have been doing it twice as long. Some even longer.  We've long found out that there no point in complaining. Just go about your business since there's nothing you can do about it..

As for the economic crisis, I'm not a banker, nor did I buy a home that I couldn't afford. The generation before me (hippies) are the 'if it makes us feel good, it must be right' people. The Clintons and folks like those are to blame. Direct your anger that direction.

+1   :)

By the way, wasn't it the 'you-tube / facebook crowd', that got him in? Thank you college kids for helping get Obama voted in. Stupid right?

The fact you hyphenate YouTube is comical, but somehow doesn't surprise me.

It was actually about 54% of the nation that got him in. Young people have typically miserable voter turnout, which we get flack for anyway. Maybe it was the complete dissatisfaction with George W. Bush that played into it? Anger over the Iraq War? A piss-poor VP choice from McCain? A brand spanking new financial crisis? No, no. Definitely the kids. Facts be damned. I need to affirm my world view.

If you don't want to listen to people talk (which is apparently always complaining when coming from the mouth of a 20 something), you should probably stop using the internet.

It was actually about 54% of the nation that got him in. Young people have typically miserable voter turnout, which we get flack for anyway. Maybe it was the complete dissatisfaction with George W. Bush that played into it? Anger over the Iraq War? A piss-poor VP choice from McCain? A brand spanking new financial crisis? No, no. Definitely the kids. Facts be damned. I need to affirm my world view.

If you don't want to listen to people talk (which is apparently always complaining when coming from the mouth of a 20 something), you should probably stop using the internet.

You might want to check your numbers.  Less than 20% of the nation voted in Obozo.  Yes he got 54% oof the votes cast.  Including 108% of registered voter in at least one town, but in no way does the POS represent more than 50% of the US.

Note, I finished my post with stupid right? It meant the previous sentence was ridiculous but yeah, I'm pretty dumb for hyphenating you-tube, YouTube, yOuTuBe. That's the attention span of you guys. Pointing out the importance of the mundane and missing the obvious. Typical?

Bush was a waste and so was the 'war'. McCain and Palin were HUGE republican mistakes but them schmucks are stupid too. Crisis caused by greed. No generation has a lock on that.

You do know what people say about opinions and anuses right?

As for the net, we invented it. Make up something on your own and let the adults play. You're in over your head. Pfffffffffft.

One thing is for sure and a constant throughout human history. The older and younger generations always hate on each other. Always have, hopefully won't always.

Some bitter old man once said - it's a shame youth is wasted on the young. Well, something like that.