Blake

Kittery Trading Post

I was travelling for work this week and stumbled upon this place, the Kittery Trading Post, in Kittery Maine.  Yes it's out very far away but I was so blown away by it that I had to post here in case anyone ever finds themselves in the area.

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/

It is a store roughly the size of a Dick's or Bass Pro Shop but it is privately owned and they carry everything from hunting, fishing, camping, kayaking, apparel, pretty much everything you can think of outdoors they have it and at good prices.  They also have about 20k sq ft dedicated to firearms.  They had what I would guess were several thousand guns in stock on the floor, about half of them used and priced pretty well.  They had several hard to find pistols I have on my want list, and also a case full of antique Lugers and a case of antique revolvers.  Racks and racks of new and used AR's and tactical rifles, hundreds of used hunting rifles and shotguns in every caliber.  They also had a huge section of used mags and holsters.  

The first thing I did was go up to the NICS counter (Yes they have an entire counter dedicated to just doing NICS checks and they had 3 people just working that section) and ask if there would be any issues since I was an out of state resident.  He smiled, told me that as long as it was a long gun and didn't violate my local laws he would process my paperwork and I would be on my merry way :)  If it was a handgun they charge $35 shipping to your ffl, but do not charge the Maine sales tax in that case.  Depending on how much the gun you are buying is that could actually cover the $35 fee.  

The place had a ton of staff working and every single one of them was extremely helpful.  As someone who works in retail I was quite frankly blown away by the whole experience. 

Kittery is right at the bottom of Maine, about an hour north of Boston.  If you ever find yourself up there please do yourself a favor and stop in.

Oh yea, the best part (IMO) - If you are a hunter you can trade in your deer, bear, coyote, etc pelts for store credit.  Super freakin cool.  

Awesome assortment of optics to look through, as well.  With the optics/firearms on the 2nd floor, you can look out the windows and really get a handle on the glass.  Lots of quality glass, Zeiss, NF, Leupy. 

They did have about 3 full counters full of scopes.  They also had a table set out on the floor full of used scopes and sights.  I just don't know enough about glass to tell what would of been a good deal or not.  

They will buy anything firearm or archery related as well.  They had a whole setup in the middle of the firearm section dedicated to buying ppls stuff.  I watched em take in about a half dozen guns in the hour I was there.  

if there, I'm looking for h335 powder if you can get some:)

One of the associates was talking to a customer about reloading and he pointed over to the only empty shelves in the section.  Said that they had been getting most supplies in but absolutely no powder whatsoever recently.  

How was the ammo supply/prices? My nephew grows to college near there and offered to pick stuff up for me on his way home for the holidays.

Ammo seemed to be on par with buying it at a Dicks or other sporting goods store.  It is higher than buying online but not terrible.  They did have a lot of oddball calibers though, so if you need something not run of the mill it's probably there.  

I bought a couple of guns from them when we visit our friends in NH.  It was recommended to me by rscalzo, a forum member who moved up there.

They have a fantastic selection of guns, far more than Cabelas I would say.  I am letting the secret out of the bag, but you can browse their used selection at www.ktpguns.com.

I do recommend you look at the guns in person.  The few guns I have seen or bought from them, their advertised condition, was a bit generous to say the least.  The prices are really weird, some stuff over priced, some stuff very underpriced.

Where was the fire?  It's hard to get past the sunglasses rack by the front door in an hour...  :)

Lol,  I was just making a stop on the way to a work related function.  As it was I showed up late due to spending too much time there.  

Totally worth it though.  

Also to piggyback on Maxim's post, he is right that some used firearms seemed high, and others very low.  If I had an entire afternoon and wanted to expend a considerable amount of cash I could have purchased probably a dozen rifles worth twice as much as they were tagged at.  Maybe next time...

The first time I went there was in the early 80's and thought it was one of the best sporting goods shops I had ever been to.............Went back about 6 or 7 years ago and they had expanded the place considerably. I was impressed with the gun room upstairs, I recall getting some American Eagle .357 mag ammo on sale for $12 a box (oh, those were the days) and enjoyed perusing the used gun racks, that were out on the floor (ahh, what it's like in free America).

And anyone who likes to ice fish........more gear for that than you'll ever see anywhere else (we are talking Maine after all).

speaking of reloading stuff, they do have components and accessories.  but if I recall, a bunch of that stuff was highly priced.

the best deals I have seen are on custom, competition type guns, as well as police trade ins.