EWC88

How do you pick?

Looking into building a Ar and this will be my first AR and build. I've gone over a decent amount of threads on AR talk but since I am a complete noob to the AR world I need some help. My biggest question so far is how do you guys pick your lowers? I have no idea on what brands suck or what brass are good, and what the differences are between them all. So if you can help me out that be great! I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road, just want to make sure I do it all right.

Pick a reputable dealer then choose a lower. There are billet and forged. if you want to spend more get a billet lower from Mega they are the cadillac of lowers. If you want a standard forged lower that will be a good platform to start get a Spikes. The choice is yours they all pretty much do the same thing. If you buy from Ty you will be good to go!!!!

http://midwestpx.com/index.php?cPath=92

Least expensive readily available lower from a quality manufacturer....

Reputable company gets you a good finish and holes that all line up correctly....

I have used aero precision, spikes, s&w, and ar15.com (magpul) lowers.... ALL were good and everything fit as it should....

If you are talking forged (not billet or plastic) they are all going to be pretty similar.  I picked up a Palmetto State Armory lower a few years ago when they were on sale for like $60.  Then picked up a parts kit & stock kit and put it together.  Then after doing lots of research and searching around, I went wit the lightweight spikes upper (currently posted in another thread) also from Palmetto (PSA).

You really have to figure out what you want to build... A super light setup, maybe something heavy, with a long barrel and scope, something somewhere down the middle?

I personally wanted more of a go-to rifle, something light that I could carry for a while if needed and something that would be good for close range as well as ranges a little further..

I ended up with the lightweight spikes setup with a reddot.  Perfect light setup, great for close range, and with the magnefier its pretty damn good out to 200 yards as well...

palmetto has a great deal right know on lowers with parts kit. Im thinking of jumping on that before its gone

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/psa-safe-fire-lower-moe-black-lower-parts-kit.html

also couldnt be happier with choosing aero precision. Got a great deal and everything fit like a glove

New frontier lower on the other hand.....Pros- cheap, durable, plentiful....Cons- looks cheap and required minor sanding to fit upper flush to lower

sounds like what i wanted...  A short (shortest legally possible is 16in but you can go 14.5 with perm attached comp to make it 16 inches) and light barrel, maybe a reddot or low power scope..

I also wanted a full rail which made it slightly heavier, but i wanted the options with a rail, you can also go with a front site post/gas block and either a handguard or a rail behind the site post.

Mine is a full length rail with a low profile gas block and I use flip up back up sites with a red dot...

Keep an eye out for deals from PSA.  In the end my whole build came from them, their lower, their parts kit, magpul stock kit from them, and a complete upper from them.

sounds like what i wanted...  A short (shortest legally possible is 16in but you can go 14.5 with perm attached comp to make it 16 inches) and light barrel, maybe a reddot or low power scope..

I also wanted a full rail which made it slightly heavier, but i wanted the options with a rail, you can also go with a front site post/gas block and either a handguard or a rail behind the site post.

Mine is a full length rail with a low profile gas block and I use flip up back up sites with a red dot...

Keep an eye out for deals from PSA.  In the end my whole build came from them, their lower, their parts kit, magpul stock kit from them, and a complete upper from them.

You can get the use of a full rail without the weight by using one of those newer setups that allow you to attach rail where needed

You can get the use of a full rail without the weight by using one of those newer setups that allow you to attach rail where needed

Magpul MOE handguard is like that.  My AFG2 is connected on a rail section on the bottom.  I actually have another rail section added to hold my weapon light.

Middy-ALG.jpg

Bringing thread back up.

Anyone know of any local shops near sewell area that carries lowers in stock? Went to bobs in glassboro and the guy there was a d*ck when I asked, and ended with no they don't sell them.

What do you mean by blem? Sorry big noob!

there is a "blemish". basically you get a brand new lower for dirt cheap because there is a small imperfection somewhere on the finish. most people can never find the blemish. its usually on the inside somewhere so you will never see it anyway.

I'm probably the exception, but the idea of having a lower than doesn't match my upper bothers the hell out of me, LOL. I understand functionally it won't make a difference but I guess I'm just OCD that way.